Why Don't we Get Hungry During Extended Fasting?

(Windmill Tilter) #1

Anybody have journal articles on the chemistry behind the diminished appetite during fasting? I’ve read Fung, and I’ve read broadly on the topic of extended fasting, but I don’t recall seeing a good mechanistic explanation for diminished hunger.

Post a link if you’ve got one.

(Windmill Tilter) #2

Anybody?

(Bunny) #3

Maybe not just during fasting, but through a universal trip hammer?

By not hyper-stimulating those parts of the brain (hypothalamus) with different foods[4] in the conscious experience? (i.e. fasting)

I pointed out the pros and cons below (before everyone takes me to the gallows to be hanged by the neck until death or burned alive at the stake…lol) but if you really think about it scientifically; if your eating just the right amount of any kind of food, you are in a sense fasting because you are trip hammering the oxidation of dietary fat or carbohydrates and not storing them?

There three calories containing units of energy?

• 4 units of energy for carbohydrates

• 4 units of energy for proteins

• 9 units of energy for fats

Storage of fats are determined by breakdowns of fats?

Storage of carbohydrates as fat in adipose tissue is determined by release of bile?

When you quit secreting bile from not eating fat (or fasting?) the ketone switch stays on?

That is how Emily below[3] was able to lose weight so well and doing squats really kicked in the loss of body fat?

At least that’s the theory for now?

Before I trail off into the sunset with my theory (that happens to work on me and other people like Emily? i.e. burning fat + muscle fat, and carbohydrates in a amino acid flame) you want to make sure you get essential nutrients?

Pick your poison?

References:

[1] Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds

[2] Professor Loses 27 Pounds on 'Junk Food Diet’ (different Professor from above)

[3] Student who piled on four stone at university displays her incredible transformation - after making some VERY simple swaps to her diet

Also notice Emily does lots of squats in her work outs?

”…Example of a legs and bum workout would be three rounds of this:

•x10 Box Squats

•x10 Close Stance Squats (put your feet quite far forward so it’s a sitting motion, to really get that booty burn)

•x10 Sumo Squats

[4] “…When a food rationing system during World War I severely restricted the Danish population’s intake of meats, dairy products, fats, and alcohol but placed no restrictions on such foods as barley, bread, potatoes, and vegetables, Denmark achieved the lowest mortality rate in its history [5]. Similarly, the mortality due to diabetes in England and Wales decreased sharply while wartime food rationing in both World War I and World War II limited access to animal-source foods and fats, only to increase after the those foods became available again in peacetime. …More

[5] “…My current experiment: Dr. Doug McGuff‘s Body by Science seems to work with the above in my own experiments in purposely making myself fat and simply using my own body weight doing squats (eccentrically) to failure or exhaustion against the gluteus maximus and after weeks and months of doing this I lost the weight again without restricting carbohydrates with no problems what so ever? …” …More

[6] “…I was reading study that examined the walking gate of mice fed a high fat diet compared to humans on a tread mill and they discovered something quite remarkable, in that they noticed that high fat diet (what’s in that mouse chow?) or the fats from the diet attached (bio-accumulated) itself to the gluteus maximus first then all the other muscle health and lypolytic activity followed and the hypothesis was it would even be more so in humans? …” …More

Body By Science (aka 1xweek workout) - WOMEN!