Why do I have no energy?

(Jessica) #1

I ve been doing keto for 6 weeks I have never cheated at all. I have stayed under 20 carbs daily always. I do intermittent fasting I eat at 12:30 and 5:30. I eat a fat meat an veggie all meals. I only drink water. I hardly ever have a snack but if i do I measure out 20 almonds. I’m sooooo tired all the time and don’t understand why. I use the urine strips and they are always dark where they need to be :frowning: help ?!? Thanks

(TJ Borden) #2

Have you felt hungry at all?

(Jessica) #3

I’m never hungry but make myself eat the two meals daily.

I was really tired and low energy between 6-8 weeks and it turned out to be an electrolyte issue. This worked for me:

(Troy Anthony) #5

This is normal in transition. The fact you are still peeing out all of those ketones indicates you might not be utilizing them very well yet. Take it easy during the transition and take the advice above about electrolytes. Right now you are running extremely low on your primary fuel source, glucose, and your body is adapting. Everyone is different in regards to how long it takes. Some people have more metabolic flexibility and switch over easier then others, don’t let it get you down. If you spend some time on the forum you will see it’s about the most common concern. Seeing less color on your strips will actually be good news.

(Jessica) #6

Thanks

(Jessica) #7

Thanks I didn’t think it would take this long… great info

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8

Sounds like you’re still adapting. You used to gain energy through carbs. Since you’re no longer fueling through carbs, your body is producing ketones in excess, but your body doesn’t know how to efficiently use them yet. Thus the sluggish, weak feeling.
This is the difference between being in ketosis (producing excess ketones) and being fat adapted. The time this process takes can vary. In average it’s 6-8 weeks though some lucky people experience it faster while others must suffer longer.

The important thing is it’s quite natural for the process. Just try to keep up your electrolytes. This will help alleviate some of the symptoms, though not all. Don’t try to exert yourself too much until your energy starts to return.

(Jessica) #9

Great advice thank you

I am in similar situation. I am 30 days in and still feel sluggish, esp in the afternoon. In fact I have to have a cup of coffee around 2pm to make it through my work day! I look forward to the energy everyone says is coming. But, I do have mental clarity and that is nice!!!
Now, I am looking forward to the future. I like this way of eating and I’d like to see me do this long term. However, I realistically know I WILL have chips and salsa again, I WILL eat a sandwich again. I just don’t know how that works. I am scared of gaining my weight back and losing all that I have gained from this diet. I really like it but realistically know eating fruits is not bad for me.
Confused about that going forward…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

It will come, promise! And I bet that by the time it does, you won’t want those chips and salsa anymore, and you’ll probably find yourself just eating the meat out of the center of the sandwich and throwing away the bread. In the meantime, increase your salt intake and make a point of drinking to thirst—that may help your energy level. In the meantime, just keep calm and keto on.

(Diane) #12

In addition to the great advice above, since you’re no longer getting your energy from carbohydrates, it’s important to eat enough fat while you become fat adapted and become efficient at burning your own body fat for fuel. I mention this because it is a common problem for those new to this WoE. Also, it matters that you are eating enough calories and are not eating to a deficit during this process of adaptation. If you eat too little and decrease your basal metabolic rate, you might also feel weak and poorly.

Good luck on your journey!

(Jay AM) #13

Agreeing with the above about making sure you’re actually getting enough fat, calories, and electrolytes.

Also adding that the darkest level on the urine strips isn’t a goal. The urine strips measure ketone waste, not ketone use. We want to use, not waste. At some point they should start lightening up.

Hmmm today I could barely eat 900 calories. Feel so full so quickly. 5 carbs, 63 fat, 60 protein. I don’t guess I did too good today. Strange, I literally felt full after a few bites! Energy is so so.
Great comments above! So grateful!

(Jay AM) #15

My first week keto was 3000+ calorie days, my second week was barely 900 a day. It evened out for me around 1800-2200 after that.

Thanks! So the low numbers do not concern you? Where are you in the process? How about your weight loss? I dropped 7 pounds right away and have been stuck ever since. Not sure I want to do the IF other than skipping breakfast from time to time…sorry for all the questions.

(Jay AM) #17

The low numbers don’t concern me as long as they go back up. I eat fat to satiety and that’s why my calories are variable. I started keto in September 2017, went off in November 2017 because of a diagnosis that made me upset. And have stayed mostly consistent since the end of December since then with a couple real cheats in between all that. I had lost over 20 lbs originally, gained it all back and then some when I went off keto and then lost all that and more later. Last weight was January at 369 and before that was 389. I don’t weigh myself normally so those are from physicals I took for work. Sometimes I IF 16:8 but, I’m not firm about it. If I wake up starving I’m not going to wait 8 more hours to eat. People might say I do “lazy” keto because I don’t count anything but carbs, I eat mostly fast food, I don’t obsess over scales. I call it realistic keto. This is for life for me and, I don’t plan to spend my life obsessing about food.

My first thought after reading your post was wondering what age you are, because I’m having a similar experience as you. Being that I’m a woman of a particular age, I’m dealing with hormonal issues that I’m hoping will improve the longer I’m keto/IF. The struggle with lethargy is real. I’m trying to be patient while I wait for the energy increase and the regulation of my hormones to kick in. We women have quite a few potential contributing factors that can zap our energy levels. But keto done correctly isn’t one of them, thankfully. Also, any chance you’ve had your vitamin D checked before? I’m getting that done in a few weeks, as I know low D causes fatigue, and the females in my family tend to need a supplement. Couldn’t hurt to rule that out. KC&KO. :slight_smile:

So true! I am 48 and you are right, theres a number of things that could rob our energy for sure! I am trying not to be impatient but not only am I tired, I also not losing weight!
I will look to see if my multivitamin has vitamin d in it.
Thanks!:blush:

(Jessica) #20

I’m a 33 year old female. I have added more fat which has seemed to help some. I will check into the V-D. :slight_smile: