Why are my ketone levels so low? (article)

I figured this group would appreciate this timely article:

(Erin Macfarland ) #2

This is really good!

(Jim Russell) #3

I’m excited about how Mark Sisson has embraced keto. He’s always been relatively LCHF, but lately he’s been doing a lot of articles about keto. He’s quite influential in the paleo/primal world. And also jacked if you’ve ever seen him in person. At 64. And really nice.

Yeah, I’m a huge fan. Lost a lot of weight and gained a lot of health under the Primal Blueprint, especially his 80/20 approach of not being so dogmatic or all or nothing (which was the knock on Paleo). That being said, he’s got the marketing/branding/money making down better than anyone, so let’s not ignore that he’s made millions here. He’s genuine, balanced, and moderate, and people like that. No surprise he’s releasing his own keto book on Oct 3. He knows an opportunity when he sees it. More power to him. I’m intrigued that he personally went keto for 18 months, so I’m looking forward to his take on the experience and lessons learned.

(Jim Russell) #5

Without a doubt, he’s figured out ways to make money off the paleo/primal movement. And as you said, more power to him. It’s obvious that he actually believes in what he is doing and wants to help people. Much like @carl and @richard. I hope that they figure out ways to make a lot of money too. :smiley:

(Richard Morris) #6

Our plan is to just be as awesome as we can … not rushing to cover ourselves in advertising like a NASCAR racer. Eventually we’ll find the right way to make money from what we have learned to help us do more of it.

Actually we could make a lot of money right now by flogging exogenous ketones, supplements, and keto candy bars. But that is … well … whatever the opposite of awesome is.

One thing that confused me when I listened to a recent Low Carb Leader podcast with Mark as the guest. He talked about Keto cycling. That while fat adapted he can go back and forth from ketosis by the number of carbs he consumes. Some days it will be 20 and he is in ketosis and other days it can be 100 or 150 and he is out but he claims it takes him minimal time to get in and out

I’m not sure if he mentioned it on that particular podcast, but he’s been pretty consistent in saying that people vary widely in their ability to get into ketosis quickly or easily. I strongly suspect his metabolic conditioning permits him to more easily do that than most of us.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

In a number of his lectures at Low Carb Down Under events, which LCDU has posted on its YouTube channel, Dr. Phinney speaks as though it’s possible to be in ketosis while eating even as much as 100-125g of carbohydrate. Of course, he also always states that some people with high IR need to eat much less carbohydrate in order to become ketotic. Dr. Sisson may be one of the lucky ones, although I would expect him to know whether he’s in ketosis or not . . . .