Whoever said they ate a whole pizza and stayed in ketosis

(traci simpson) #21

You know, I have to agree with you on that! Nothing like a good pizza,

(Bob M) #22

It’s sad, but true.

As for the original subject, I had bread, stuffing with bread, ice cream, mashed potatoes, pizza (real), some of this twice, chocolate chips, over the Thanksgiving holiday, and Monday had ketones of 0.2. That might seem low, but that’s normal for me. I’m rarely above 0.5, though I did get up to 0.8 after fasting 60+ hours this week.

(traci simpson) #23

How does that happen? I struggle to get to 0.5 and if I ate all that, I think I would be in the bathroom until dooms day, have hypoglycemia and put on 5 pounds.

You must have some super metabolism or something.

(Susan) #24

I would be like Traci, I would gain heaps of weight and feel really sick and probably be throwing up too (so maybe wouldn’t gain as much due to that but would feel terrible.

And, Traci, he is a male --they seem to have totally different metabolisms then us ladies ---- annoying but seems to be true.

(traci simpson) #25

I know and it sucks! We have all the issues and they don’t. LOL

(Bob M) #26

You have to remember, I’ve been doing this 6 years. In that time, I have periodic episodes of high carb, then go back to low carb. 6 years is a long time to become “fat adapted”. I also got an oral glucose tolerance test with insulin done (a “short” Kraft test), which showed normal blood sugar and insulin response. I also lift weights and exercise and have quite a bit of muscle mass now.

Here are some values for you. To the right of time is home keto mojo, then work keto mojo, then ketonix, then blood sugar (Free Style Libre pin prick), then notes:

Compare with 3.5 years ago. I was using a Precision Xtra ketone monitor then, but the third column after the time is my ketonix. Note how much these values have changed over the years.

(Bob M) #27

By “periodic episodes of high carb”, I mean holidays or vacations, not extended carb fests.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #28

Haven’t checked anything since I went low carb (about 100 grams a day.) Decided to check after reading this thread. Sorry, dont hate me, I’m one of those. Actually I’m quite surprised. An hour after eating BG 105, which I guess is normal, but ketones were 0.6. I really didnt think I would register anything at this point.

(Bob M) #29

To show you how long I’ve been doing this, here is my Free Style Libre continuous glucose monitor output from Thanksgiving 2017:

Multiply by 18 to get US units, so 9.7*18=174.6. The thick line to the right of the 5.1 is noon. Each two lines is one hour. Even back then, my blood sugar excursions were short, less than an hour. The 9.7 is dinner (or brunch or whatever; I don’t eat breakfast), the bump after that was dessert. The 8.2 at night was my eating more of what I had at lunch.

I stopped taking ketones back then, as I was just using my CGM.

I think it’s the many, many 3+ to 5.5 day fasts I’ve done, along with keto, intermittent fasting, eating during a window, exercise (though I’ve always exercised, even while gaining 90+ pounds), genetics, etc.

Some guys have hardships too. And some gals have an easy ride…
It’s often not pleasant to compare our results with others (especially with males, true) but if we do… I often think about the poor souls who have a harder time than me. Or who would have great results on keto or low-carb but they never will try it and struggle all their life. And I do what I can. I actually learned a lot and found a better woe while I searched a way to FINALLY end my struggles, it’s something. I don’t think I can complain but yep, I get a tad envious myself sometimes. But I quickly forget that, it’s useless. And my metabolism has its good points too :stuck_out_tongue: