Who here has been obese the longest? (I bet I "win" 😞)

(Joy) #1

Jason Fung, among others, postulates that the longer one is overweight, the harder it is to lose weight. That sounds about right to me. Does it fit your experience?

I was obese in toddlerhood, childhood, adolescence … well, always. Even in my most herculean diet and exercise decades, I never officially left the defined parameters of obesity (below 170#). At about age 50 I decided to stop fighting hunger, to eat simply according to hunger signals (a nutritious SAD, not pure junk), and let fate take its course. I went from 195 to 264# and stayed that exact same weight for years and years (my carb-diet setpoint). I began lchf in fall 2015, that and keto took me down to 195# over 18 months, but that’s where I have been for a year (my low-carb setpoint).

I have recorded with MFP consistently and tinkered with all the usual variables, macros, water, sweeteners. I have always preferred IF, and continue to eat just breakfast and lunch. I’ve done only a little bit of longer fasting, may do more, we’ll see. I have always liked heavy labor and/or resistance training, so that’s unchanged over the decades. I tried HIIT for stall busting, but it had no effect. So, like Jimmy Moore and our local luv, @carl, despite extraordinary commitment, I may never know weight loss beyond a certain point unless some “keto duration tipping point” reprograms my metabolism for the better.

The great news is I’ve never been diabetic, nor had high blood pressure. I’m strong, flexible, and have good endurance, so I shan’t complain about my overall lot in life.

At age 63, I’ve been obese for more than 61 years. Can anyone beat that brag?

(cheryl) #2

I can’t beat that , but my Grandmother who raised me had milk cows, and she did churn butter and so I did learn to love cream and butter at a very young age. I have been obese at least 40 of my 57 years, not the fault of my granny but the fault of my own bad choices. Now I am loving the butter and cream again.

(Karen Parrott) #3

Only 40 years, and some were normal weights, but not many. You win!

Now 61, so maybe 50 years. I can remember using an Atkins diet in high school. Which worked for a bit, but back then the focus was “high protein” and my big recollection of the experience is getting sick of eating hard-boiled eggs and hamburger patties.

But I probably have you beat on obesity. I started at 650 pounds at the end of 2016 and have lost nearly 190 pounds so far. My lowest weight in over two decades.

So I’m still morbidly obese.

(Joy) #5

I’m willing to share the trophy, my dear. :wink: