White eggs vs Brown eggs

Which do you have on hand most of the time? Do you prefer one over the other?

According to a google search, there’s really no difference in yolk or taste, it’s just chickens with white feathers make white eggs and chickens with brown feathers make brown eggs.

(Shayne) #2

There is no difference to the nutritional value of eggs based on the color of the shell. I like the blue and green ones, but just because they’re unusual - not because they taste different.

(Allie) #3

(Pete A) #4

Right, no nutritional difference, bit I prefer brown. Not sure @Shortstuff why only pics of white eggs. Brown are everywhere here although growing up I remember mostly white.

White eggs are more readily available where I am. The brown ones cost more, but I hear it’s just because brown chickens are larger and eat more food, so they cost more to maintain.

(Mary) #6

Ha ha ha!!! Brown eggs cost more because of a perception that they’re better for you.

(Allie) #7

I’ve never seen a white chicken egg in the UK. Duck eggs yes, but never white chicken eggs…

(Jessica) #8

I don’t have a preference of color, but definitely prefer my chicken’s eggs over even the best quality store bought. The shells are hard to crack, the yolks are nearly orange and the whites hold their shape as firmly as the yolk of a store bought egg. We have chickens that lay brown eggs and green eggs.

(Allie) #9

Properly cared for birds, makes all the difference.

(Brian) #10

The reason for white eggs…

One of the breeds of chicken, the White Leghorn, is a smallish bird that lays eggs at a volume that is not often exceeded. For their size, the eggs are large and the fact that they’re smaller birds means that the efficiency of feed input to egg output is also very good. They tend to be flighty type birds so they’re not as popular with backyard chicken type folks. They are, however, a very good choice for profit oriented large commercial house operations.

On the other hand, for a small backyard type, a more docile breed is easier to keep confined within a looser enclosure such as a pasture. They are generally larger, sometimes quite a bit larger, and some breeds work well for a dual purpose, eggs and meat. Most of those breeds of chickens lay brown eggs.

There is no reason a commercial operation can’t use layers that lay brown eggs. It is becoming more popular here in the US as there is a perception of brown eggs being better. (And FWIW, some breeds of brown egg layers can come very close to the production numbers of the Leghorn.) And there is no reason that a home flock can’t have Leghorns if they want them. They’re good layers. I’ve had a couple in a mixed flock I had at one time.

And as said above, there is no difference in the eggs that is dependent upon the color of the shell. The quality of the eggs depends pretty much on the health of the chicken, the feed that the chicken gets, and the environment that the chicken lives in. Good health, good feed, good environment, good eggs.

(Teresa (turtle)) #11

I recall a TV ad for eggs, sing along if you know it, “Brown eggs are local eggs and local eggs are fresh!”.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #12

I think I get brown eggs, but the color is not a factor. The pasture raised, 108 sq ft per chicken, is the factor. They happen to be brown.

not sure why but for me brown eggs I get far more blood spots in the egg

More? I never got any in my eggs.

(Sophie) #15

Personally I prefer brown eggs because they come from my farmer friend and I know they are better than the white ones I buy at the store! They also don’t cost me anything except collecting and returning the cartons and my buns/french fries/carb junk once a week from our group lunches. It’s a sweet deal! :smile:

It is just a matter of pigment.
One of my faves is the aracuna which lays green shelled eggs :smile:
You can get pink, blue and all shades of brown and beige as well as white.

It is sort of like the old argument about horses hooves - white ones are less hardy than black ones.
Well, once you cut them open they are all the same.
The pigment is only in the outer layer and everything inside is just the same as any other colour.

(Sophie) #17

The same can be said for people too! :blush:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

Blood spots are completely harmless. They result from an abnormality in the egg-formation process, though I can’t remember what at the moment. YouTube has some excellent tutorials on egg-formation in chickens.

I just want to say that the color of the shell depends on the breed, whereas the taste and nutritional value of the contents depends on what the chicken eats. The color of the yolk can be manipulated, so I wouldn’t go by that as a judge of quality. For me, the biggest taste difference is the time since laying. Eggs purchased in the store were laid weeks earlier. They cook a bit differently, and they don’t taste nearly as good as fresh eggs—to me anyway; I’ve known people who were so used to old eggs from the supermarket that they couldn’t bear the taste of a really fresh egg.

One of my uncles used to have an egg farm when I was a kid, and the eggs would sit around in his basement for a couple of weeks before being collected by the Agway man. I remember pitying the city folk who would never get to taste a fresh egg (and myself, when we weren’t down on the farm for a visit). I never minded the taste of homogenized and pasteurized milk, though I enjoy fresh milk when I can get it, but my country cousins found it hard to adjust to city milk, having been brought up on milk straight from the cow.

Something I learned from QI: eggs that have never been washed don’t need to be refrigerated—in fact, you can harm them by putting them in the fridge. Eggs that are washed, however, must be refrigerated, or they will quickly spoil, because the washing removes the natural shell sealant. That’s why supermarket eggs in the U.S. need to be refrigerated; people are clean freaks here, so egg wholesalers have to wash the eggs.

Looks like we got an egg expert in the house! Thanks for the info.

(Brian) #20

The biggest frustration I have with fresh eggs… They’re a bugger to peel hard boiled ones. I’ve been through quite a few methods, and some do help. But if you are a stickler for the perfectly peeled hard boiled egg, like what you’d want for a plate of perfect deviled eggs for a party dish, it can be a real challenge with fresh eggs. The best of them I can get nearly perfect. The worst of them will look like they’ve been through a war… and lost. LOL! Most will be somewhere in between and mostly usable. If I want a dozen nice ones, I will probably start with at least a dozen and a half, maybe 2 dozen to be sure and save the worst of them out for just eating or maybe egg salad or cut up in a fresh green salad.

Or, if you know an event is coming up far enough ahead, you can always put a couple of dozen eggs aside for a few weeks or even a month. They’ll keep for a very long time in the refrigerator. And the age will help them to peel better.