Which fast is better for weight loss...36 or a 5:2

(Courtney Lopez) #1

Or which fast do you find more effective for fat loss? Do you exercise at all during fast?

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

“Better” is very subjective. I would recommend you try both IF and extended fasts, and see which works better for you.

One of the keys is finding something you can do effectively. IF tends to be easier than extended fasting, but clearly there’s different stuff going on metabolically when you go without food for days vs. hours.

Regarding exercise, I’m on day 3 of an extended fast with some fat, and I’ve been sticking with small amounts of body weight exercise (pull-ups, squats, etc.) through the fast. I added a set of 10 barbell squats (loaded with 40lbs.) today just because I felt like it.

Some of the information I’ve read on keto suggests (and my experience backs this up) that once you get insulin down, you may WANT to exercise more, because you have easier access to the fuel in your body. When insulin is busy greedily partitioning glucose into fat cells, and simultaneously telling those fat cells to keep what they have locked up, it’s no surprise that one may not feel up for exercising much. :slight_smile:

(Courtney Lopez) #3

Thanks I’m trying IF for now and have started exercise the past 2 days. I’ve been super strict keto for over a monthand just cannot break this stall! I haven’t even moved any inches. I’m frustrated to say the least.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #4

Patience…stalls come, and they can last for weeks for some folks.

Many times, a stall is your body preparing for the next hill you need to climb.

I totally agree that it’s frustrating. Been there. :slight_smile:

(Courtney Lopez) #5

I hope so…I could just cry…I’ve been trying so hard. Hopefully the incorporation of exercise will help.

I would try both and see what you like better! I don’t exercise much when I’m fasting besides mellow dog walks, but I know others really enjoy it.

I do my best to fast for 36 to 72 hours every other week - it is a range because I listen to my body and social/family stuff comes up that disrupts the fast … I don’t beat myself up too much about it - I say don’t be so hard on yourself but don’t be too soft on yourself either! I typically use Brain Octane (or C8 oil) to help at the start of the fast - fasting makes your brain super sharp, after you get used to doing it. I am fairly athletic but would suggest don’t exercise much (other than walks, etc.) until you are fully fat adapted. I typically do a good chunk of exercise on the Sunday - Tuesday the days I try to fast including: yoga on Sunday, high intensity interval training class for 45 minutes on Monday and 1.5 to 2 hours of tennis on Tuesdays. I will say that before I go bonkers exercising on a fast - I do tend to take exogenous ketones (currently Ketocana, tastes like Gatoraide). I combined strict keto from February 2016 to August 2016 and went from 206 to 172 (40 year old male, 6’1") - I actually cycle my diet as follows now 1 month keto, 1 month “slow carb” (google it) and 1 month “lowish carb” (I made that term up, just means still no sugar, bread, pizza, pasta - try to keep it under 100 grams of carbs per day with wholesome food). I’ve been able to maintain and also maintain my sanity!

Results vary…personally, I tend to maintain on IF and lose on extended water fasts. Time for some N=1. I’m still experimenting myself!

(Kathy Meyer) #9

This is an individual thing I think, and you can try various types of fasting to see what works for you. I didn’t really lose weight on a 23:1 fast as my body adjusted fairly quickly. I do always lose weight when I fast between 2 and 5 days, but can gain most of it back if I’m not careful about overeating Keto foods (usually too much protein) on non-fasting days. I use the Keto WOE for maintenance. But, I’m a pretty hard case and have to fight for every pound lost. But I did lose 75 pounds in 2016, so it does work.

WOW! 75 pounds is amazing! Congrats!