Whey Protein Powder

(Troy John) #1

I just read whey protein powder does create an insulin response and should not be taken on keto… Whoa, that is what I rely on for my protein quota. From my understanding, a vegetable source powder would be okay. Is Pea protein then okay as a substitute?

Can you provide a link on where you read that whey raises insulin?

(Ben W) #3

I’m insulin resistant (T2D) and whey protein powder makes me feel like crap. I know of other insulin resistant people who have also learned to avoid whey protein powder for the same reason. As a substitute, I’ve been advised to try egg white protein powder, but I have not tried it yet.

(Dustin Cade) #4

@richard speaks about this, he did an experiment where he used egg whites and whey protein isolate i think it was and it came out that the whey protein caused a much higher and longer response than the egg whites in the same amount… he is better able to explain this, like a keto Jedi

(Jacquie) #5

Here’s the thread Dustin is talking about regarding Richard’s experiment. :slight_smile:

Richard did an experiment and includes references to whey being insulinogenic.

Up to you to try whatever protein source you want, but Mark at MDA rates them for you to start looking.

(Jacquie) #7

Great minds! :smile:

(Todd Allen) #8

All protein is insulinogenic but whey protein is particularly so because it is high in leucine. But that’s the reason people take it as a muscle building supplement. Insulin not only drives the uptake of glucose and fat but also drives the uptake of amino acids.

I tried whey protein powder a few years ago and it produced little anabolic effect at a time when I was eating a very high carbohydrate diet and was likely very insulin resistant. Then it probably just aggravated insulin resistance though I was oblivious to the problem.

One of the prime benefits for me going keto has been improving insulin sensitivity and improving ability to gain muscle. Whey protein in modest doses has become a useful tool and I’ll take it just before going to sleep after heavy resistance training to boost muscle gain without suffering any hunger inducing effects of the glucose lowering spike of insulin. Insulin also reduces ketone production but I’m not seeing significantly lower morning values from 15 g of whey protein taken 9 hours previously.

whey protein is an INDUSTRIAL BYPRODUCT of cheese manufacturing. it is not a whole food. It has been marketed to bodybuilders as a way to increase profits off of a waste product. It is literal garbage on the level of industrial seed oils and should be avoided by anyone even remotely interested in gaining or regaining health.

If you absolutely MUST supplement protein instead of just eating food then bone broth or hydrolyzed collagen is a much better alternative.

this is almost 8 years old an entirely out of date.

(Troy John) #11

All protein is insulinogenic? Even Pea protein? Really?

(Todd Allen) #12

There are also high quality organic undenatured whey protein concentrates produced from grass fed milk. These are widely considered one of the best anabolic protein choices and are also one of the best choices for raising glutathione levels.

(Todd Allen) #13

Yes, the degree to which it is so depends on what amino acids it contains. Pea protein probably produces somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 the insulin response of whey protein which is in part why it is less potent for body builders.

If your in the gym and lifting heavy, whey is fine. If you ONLY using it for protein (shouldnt need it though) you can supplement a slower disgesting protein like casein. I take a Whey/Casein/Egg blend in the morning pre workout, and a casein at night before I go to sleep. Its all in the context of what your doing.

(Brian) #15

I am not a bodybuilder but have been noticing that I am consistently falling a little short on the protein part of the macros.

I have considered supplementing with a protein powder of some kind but am not sure if that’s really that great of an idea.

I did, however, just pick up some more chicken and beef at the store this morning, along with some more Greek yogurt. I discovered that Greek yogurt has a nice amount of protein in it. (I realize the carbs are kinda high on the yogurt, different for different brands, so I can’t overdo that. But with it being something I enjoy eating, a serving affords an extra 20g or so of protein without so many carbs that I feel like I’m going in the wrong direction.)

I haven’t ruled out a protein powder at some point so I appreciate the discussion of the various kinds if I should end up wanting to supplement at some point. Thanks.

(Allie) #16

I still use whey protein, but half the recommended amount. No problems here.