Where do you buy pork rinds?

(Sharon A Peters) #21

Ryan, don’t know where you are so I can focus suggestions, but here goes: the packaged brand you’re looking for (ideally) is Mac’s; they are usually at Walmarts and, if you have Kroger’s, they also tend to carry Mac’s. The best source, though, is a Mexican market with a good-sized prepared foods (steam table with carnitas, guisos, nopales, etc.) where they tend to make their own chicharrones (pork rinds) in house. A good one will have chicharron de cuero (crispy skin, no meat or fat - big pieces of it) chicharron botanero (small 1" x 1.5" pieces, with some fat still attached - this is what you want for “bread” crumbs for breading and gratins, etc.) and chicharron gordo (with skin, fat and meat attached; these are the ones that are stewed with either red or green salsa for a guiso for tacos). If all else fails, there’s always Baken-ettes.

(Erin Macfarland ) #22

This is sad…pork rinds and cracklings are my go to for crunchy, salty cravings. You can order good ones for a decent price from Thrive market!

(Erin Macfarland ) #23

Omg I LOVE Macs cracklings!

Walmart usually, they’re like $1.50 a bag and I usually clear out the shelf of how ever many they have :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Bulk Barn!

Freshcracklins.com has been my favorite spot.

(Kristina Mc Givern) #27

I just ordered from Buster Rhino’s last week. It is in Whitby and I’m in Kitchener. If all you’ve had is store bought pork rinds, you’re in for a treat. These melt in your mouth and the flavors are out of this world… I bought the variety pack and some BBQ sauce. If you order $50 the shipping is free. www.busterrhinos.com I think I liked the parmesan garlic the best so far though they are all good.

(Linda) #29

Our local Walmart had a brand called Rudolph’s Cracklins that were quite tasty, so naturally they quit carrying them.

(Troy) #30

Utz - Sam’s Club $7ish jug. Hard to find there now

Members Mark - Sam’s Club $7ish jug in house brand

Mission - Target $2ish

Superior Grocery - in house brand. $.99 below

Dollar General - Brims $.99 below

Walmart - bacon -ets $2ish

I hate pork rinds😬

(Christa Maxey) #31

Fire Cracklins from Walmart my absolute FAVORITE

(Maria Ortiz) #33

Best to buy them online. Out of all the rinds and cracklins I’ve had in my life, Mac’s brand is by far the best when it comes to taste and quality. I get mine from Wal-Mart. I prefer the cracklins as they are far better tasting and have the most attached fat I’ve ever seen on any brand. They sell them online too. They also make these things called Cracklin’ Curls which are amazing, that’s if your teeth can handle that kind of crunch!

(Miro) #34

I am in Ontario, so far I found some in Walmart as well. I’m new to this, but in got the fam on a lookout!

(Sharon A Peters) #35

This thread is filled with pre-packaged, really poor pork rinds. There are two brands that are the best out there, but they are still poor when compared to the real thing: Mac’s and Guerrero’s. That noted, find a good Mexican market with a meat section with butchers and a steam-table prepped food section. They very likely make their own chicharrones (the original pork ‘rind’) in the store. They come in strips with fat or fat and meat attached, big, crisp sheets, and little 1.5" squares (botanero). Once you eat real chicharrones you will find that the bagged, commercially-produced, grocery-store variety just won’t cut it.

(Laurie) #36

In Canada they can be difficult to find. I guess we don’t have the pork rind/ cracklin’/ chicharrón tradition.

A clerk in a supermarket once told me I’d be more likely to find them in a variety store (convenience store).

I have found them in Walmart, but they were by the self checkout, not with the chips. I’ve also found them in other grocery stores, in Costco, and in variety stores. You just have to look around and ask until you find them. Nowadays some chain stores let you search online too.

I once ordered “chicharrón” from Amazon, but they were made from peas, not pork. (I am aware that chícharo is a Spanish word for pea. But the package said chicharrón, not chícharo.)

I’ve only seen 3 brands in Canadian stores. In my opinion, Old Dutch Bac’n Puffs are light and good. Lay’s Baken-ets are hard, and I don’t like them. I’ve never tried Utz.

Read the ingredients. They should say just pork rinds, lard, and/or salt.

(Pete A) #37

Walmart. Or most grocery chains here.

We have a huge tradition but ours are the side effect of making lard so they are extremely fatty… :smiley: It seems they are like the mentioned Chicharrón… Every pig farmer whoi makes lard (all I suppose), sell this thing too, food industry as well, one can buy it everywhere in Hungary. We have our own word for it :slight_smile:
Not my thing, too fatty and it rarely has meat and I only like it with meat. It’s nice crunchy, that’s fine but I rather buy meat with that money. It’s a somewhat expensive, popular item.

I found pork rinds only this year, in a tiny village shop at that! I never will try it, it’s insanely expensive and not even fatty! Don’t want :smiley:
I like finding new keto “flours” but it’s not that important :wink:

If they’re not with all the other chips, go to the Spanish section, a lot of them put them there, even the craft-y ones.

(Bob M) #40

I’ve been buying the ones that are baked and not fried. They make great coatings for things like fried chicken (fried in beef tallow, of course).