Where do we draw the line? :-)

(Jacquie) #6

Tom, yes, I totally agree. :slight_smile: A lot of us are familiar with the ‘only way’ point of view, especially on some fb keto groups.

(melinda) #7

I think making the concentrated effort to stay in ketosis means you’re keto.

Everything else breaks down into subcategories. Catholics and Methodists are both Christian but they have their own rules.

(Jacquie) #8

If the objective is to be in ketosis, and we each have our own path to get there, that works for me, too! :slight_smile:

(eat more) #9

i think the “there is no rulebook” and n=1 answers the original question :slight_smile:

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #10

My wife went on Weight Watchers and got to her goal weight 15 years ago and has maintained it ever since. Whereas, I did WW and easily gained the weight back plus some (sound familiar?) After seeing her blood tests and talking to her doctor I would say she is insulin sensitive while I am insulin resistant.

She ‘tried’ LCHF but did not like it and is still scared, after 20 months, of me on LCHF, that I am going to kill myself. All 3 of her doctors she has dragged me to agree that I am doing the correct thing for me, especially after I show them my blood test from the last year!

That said, I would never expect her to join this forum and try to convince us that we are a suicide squad. So that is a BIG line.

Every once in a while we may have a newbie who was told something incorrectly and as long as they will listen to reason, and read the science to prove the point, there are no issues. If a vegan who supports Dr. McGregor’s ideas came in with no science to back him up (I have reviewed most of Dr. McGregor’s science and shook my head) then that could be another line.

I hope I didn’t ramble too much here :grinning:

(Jacquie) #11

Not rambling. :slight_smile: Your wife definitely found what works for her. WW worked for my mom many years ago, too. Keto definitely works for me. One size does not fit all, no matter what some folks may think.

(Jaidann) #12

I’m pretty new here so take this for what it’s worth to you … I come here to be with like minded people. The key for me is “like minded”. There’s a lot of things here I can’t do … like grass fed beef and butter. I have never been made to feel inferior because of it. I can’t afford all the cool kitchen toys either, but again, I’ve never felt judged for that. I do keto how I do keto. Some do it differently. All roads lead to the same end hopefully. I guess what I’m trying to get at is that as long as information shared is correct, it all should be good, right?

(Jacquie) #13

I think the one thing we all have in common here is that our goal is to be in ketosis. Defining ‘correct’ as in ‘correct information’ usually isn’t a problem. :smile:

(Brad) #14

I think keto is 3 fold, HFLC, metobolic healing and food based eliminations. I agree with the n=1,
Example: I do not recommend soy because of the inflammation that a lot of people have with it. I won’t say you can’t, but if asked I won’t recommend it.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #15

Sorry, what’s CKD? (As an ex systems programmer on IBM & compatible mainframe systems, my brain can only come up with “Count-Key-Data”! :slight_smile: ).

(former “green (or yellow) [reference] card” holders shout out here… :slight_smile: ).

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #16

It’s always useful to be reminded that there are people like this, and for them, what we say (or sometimes preach) simply does not make sense.

The other question though is how people like that managed to gain weight in the first place (I’m obviously not singling out your good lady here!). I think Ivor Cummins (+ maybe others) has described the concept of the “healthy fat” people, as well as the “sick fat” people (sadly many of us here coming in the latter category, at least until we go keto).

(Jacquie) #17

Yes. I was ‘sick thin’ (pre-diabetic). The light bulb moment came when I started keto because I started to test FBG’s and BG’s. I came from Whole30 and found starchy carbs and fruit spiked my BG. I had no other symptoms.

CKD = Cyclical Ketogenic Diet

The basic idea is regular carb refeeds where the person is cycling in and out of ketosis.

It’s a tricky one isn’t it? I agree with @tdseest . I think it is also important to remember who you are responding to when you put forward your views or ideas. So it would be silly to start talking about carb cycling and eating more things like sweet potatoes (even if you could do so and stay in ketosis) when responding to someone with T2D, or history of it or IR. Personally, I love the fact that we are all so different and that different things work for different people. IMO, as long as you are respectful and kind to others, you can talk about what you like.

(Richard Morris) #20

We wanted to create as big a tent as we could. Any diet that gets you into a state of ketosis is on topic.

I’m pretty much with @Brenda who says there is no keto rule book, and @tdseest that the only thing that is off limits is telling other people what worked for you is the only thing that will work for them.

Share your own experience, share science that you have found explaining your observations, help others find solutions to their problems … that’s the kind of community we were hoping to build.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #21

This forum is my “safe place”.
I despise facebook with a passion.
:nofb:
There is no keto rulebook

(Jaidann) #22

Getting rid of Facebook is one of the top “five best things I ever did for myself”. I hate it. I hate what it does to people and I hate the time suck it creates. I much prefer forums and being able to chat with folks that haven’t lost their minds.

(Jacquie) #23

IMO, facebook is such a ‘hot’ medium, problems arise pretty quickly, especially in fb groups. After all, we are dealing with human beings. :wink: . I was a member of several lc forums back in the day when lc was relatively new (pre facebook) and there were some great communities just like we’re establishing here at KF! :slight_smile:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #24

I love you.
That is all.

(Dustin Cade) #25

if we limit this forum to what we already know about keto only… how will we learn and continue to grow? N=1 for sure… KCKO