When week 4 becomes week 1 again, or the keto flu blues

newbies

Making the story short: T2 diabetic and former carb addict, goal to minimize insulin response and lose about 40-50 lbs.

Started keto June 19. Not much loss, but some couple lbs. Nearly every keto flu symptom but different ones each day. Testing my blood a lot because tiredness from flu feeling like low blood. And getting used to the new lower levels of Blood sugar… that is tough!

By week 3, getting better, some energy, not yet fat adapted, alas.

Listening to the podcasts I reached the one on artificial sweeteners. Keep in mind I was also a diet soda addict, doctor said use them for sweet cravings. But … decided they were generating insulin response and at the start of week 4 gave all up. (Hey, what do I do for better breath without gum with AS??)

Two days later, then yesterday and today…bad keto flu again. But also testing BS and it hasn’t gone over 100. Tonight it was 84, I’m feeling very tired and flu-ish, and I panicked and took a glucose tab.

(By the way, I bought the cheap Breathalyzer and it works! Blew 0.03!)

So - for you T2’s, did you have low episodes when starting? What happened? What did your blood readings drop to? I wasn’t ever too high but 120-140 was normal for me. After quitting the AS my readings went from 100s to 90s and now are in the 80s no matter the timing after eating, on waking, etc. it keeps getting lower and I’m now getting scared it will go too low.

So, dropping AS felt like it sent me back to week 1! But… also had better weight loss since then (this is the 4th day without AS and I have doubled my lbs lost…)

I really hope I adapt soon because feeling tired all the time sucks!

thanks for any advice / comments!

I am a T2D and from my experience you need = A lot more Salt + much more water + and a whole bunch of Fat in your food. I drink ACV with a teaspoon of sea salt twice a day.

There are many here that are far more experienced about this than I - but we are all individuals and everyone’s experience differs, so try things out and see what works for you.

From what I understand if you have enough fat you will not get hypos.
I would just love to have those levels of BS everyday = Mine are far higher and I am fasting to get them way lower and very slowly (frustratingly) they are coming down and hopefully they will match yours in a month or two.

Just keep on trying things out and see what works best for you.
KC&KO.

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

First and foremost, congrats on dropping those BG numbers so quickly. I’m not T2D, but my husband is so I know how much of a battle those drops can be.

Are you supplementing sodium, magnesium and calcium (sodium pretty much controls your potassium, so good sodium results in good posstassium)? There are good threads on electolytes. Search for “electolytes” on this forum. Also Brenda’s keto aide, is a recipe for water with the supplements that is super handy to have around.

All the best in your health Journey.

(Teresa Driver) #4

I had what you are describing, and it was aspartame withdrawal. It was harder than quitting smoking. Headaches, sick stomach, shaky and weak. It passed before the week was out.

Thank you everyone!

First, I do believe it was a good part of aspartame withdrawal, because after those five days it has lessened greatly.

But it was coupled with the electrolytes issue - and that is what I am struggling with still. This is an ongoing problem for me that is very much affecting my energy.

And this week my Sugar levels are back up to 90s to 100. Not sure why. :confused:

I’d love advice on getting electrolytes in! Without any sweetener…

Btw, I can’t believe even mouthwash has sucralose!

Thanks, I will search for electrolytes!

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

Here is the link to Brenda’s ketoaid, it is supplements in water, you can carry with you or use at home. No sugars involved at all. The commercial sports drinks are ladened with sweeteners, don’t go there.