When to cut bait and move on?

(Mike W.) #21

What is your fasting blood glucose?

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #22

Dr Peter Attia, a staunch advocate for ketogenic diets, has said that he’s pulled several of his patients off the diet because it clearly wasn’t right for them. You may be in that category. Don’t despair! Do some research, especially into Peter attia, and find out what he and others recommend.

This could easily mean – I mean, one alternative – is a low carb healthy fat diet that isn’t ketogenic. I was on LCHF for a year before keto, and I’ll probably go back to LCHF once I’ve dropped the last few kilos. The bottom line (as far as I see it) is that cutting starches and sugars – especially highly processed foods – is indisputably good for you no matter what diet you subscribe to.

Once you cut out processed foods, the arguments between many of the different schools becomes academic to some extent. I think Gary taubes was the one who told a story of going to a conference that pitted low carb vs low fat scientists. Lunch was provided for both groups in a buffet style. But there was very little difference between the two lunches, because the low fat lunch didn’t include processed foods or substantial amounts of sugar.

I’m no doctor, but I’ve read a decent amount about this (including quite a few academic papers) in the past year. You just don’t need to be eating 80% dietary fat to see the benefits. If you end up eating lots of veggies and meat and fish and you’re losing fat, who cares what your macros are?

My anecdotal evidence is me. A year ago I switched from eating loads of crap to basically just cutting out sugar and starchy carbs. I ate meat, veg, fish, fat, and fruit (yes - fruit!) to satiety, and lost over 20 pounds in under 3 months.

So do some further research, watch and listen to Peter attia and Gary taubes. That’s my advice to you. I can’t guarantee it’ll get you washboard abs, but you’ll probably move the needle on your body fat %.