When to buy new clothes

So at what point do you decide to buy some new clothes? I’m finding that most of my pants are almost to the point of falling off but I’m not quite down to the size I want to buy next. TShirts are getting a bit big too or at least look a bit too baggy with my baggy jeans. I’m debating on if it’s time to invest in a couple new outfits or just some new jeans. I ride in a van pool for work, and seriously almost lost my pants one day last week! LOL

How often do you buy new clothes? How do you keep costs down? Or do you?

#butterismakingmypantsfalloff #butterbobrocks

(John) #2

I am not quite done yet, but had to have pants, couldn’t keep them on. Wedding ring wouldn’t stay on either, ordered a new one of those as well.

See what you can get at a thrift shop perhaps? I also had luck with tailors customizing the fits after weight loss. If you aren’t sure if they can, bring them one pair as a “test”. If it works, you have a great solution. A lot of tailors are pretty inexpensive.

That’s a great idea! Most of the jeans I have are really new looking since I either just bought them or just was able to wear them! I have washed the jeans in hot water, which helped some.

It looks like there’s only one in my area, sure hope they’re still in business!!

I have a ways to go as well. I’m down 34 pounds, but I probably have 75 pounds left that I’d like to lose.

Yeah …get to know your tailor. Just as important as getting to know your butcher or fishmonger. I have a tailor who is a miracle worker. Did an incredible job with a blouse. They can tuck clothes in so that they hang on YOUR body making YOUR body look incredible. When you buy clothes at a store, they are made for “every shape”. A good tailor is a god send!

(Tom) #7

A bit of research will be needed. Find out what the civil or criminal penalties are for indecent exposure in your area. If it’s cheaper to buy a new outfit than pay the penalty and legal fees for an unfortunate incident involving a bus full of nuns and children, buy the outfit.

LOL! Luckily no threat of nuns on an Army installation so I’m safe there. Harshest penalty would be my embarrassment, the ensuing laughter, and and getting teased for the next few weeks. :blush: :scream: :flushed:

(Jaidann) #9

Oh man this actually can get embarassing! My husband treated me to a few new pieces of clothing when we went on our cruise in December. We both knew after a while they would no longer fit so we looked for cheap alternatives that would get me through but not hurt too bad financially. A couple of weeks ago I grabbed a pair of jeans I had worn on the cruise. Pulled them on and they fell to the floor! :blush: Hubby thought it was hysterical and I was silently appreciating the fact that at least they fell off at home!

He immediately took me to Goodwill and I found a pair of jeans for $5.00. So right now I have 1 pair of jeans that fit. I am living with that until I hit my goal weight. I also recommend trying Free Cycle Sometimes people advertise clothing and it’s all free stuff!

(Tom) #10

Let’s not forget that celebration of an accomplishment with a non-food item is a good thing, at least for those of us who struggled with emotional eating. And, you may have already “saved a bunch of money by switching to KETO®!” :frog: if that’s the case, you’ve already funded a new wardrobe.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #11

I just sent off for some T shirts (since I couldn’t get the colour I wanted in shops locally), and it was a pleasure (and also a slight risk), that I felt able to select size “L” instead of “XL” (or even “XXL”…).

Now of course, I have to wait and see if they fit…(but if they don’t, I’m determined that they will fit one day…! :slight_smile: ).

Well, at least my wedding ring comes off now (which it wasn’t doing, a while back).
It’s not falling off yet though.

(John) #12

We decided I was going to stay fat so we had it enlarged because I could barely get it off, then of course I started keto.
#FingerGainz!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #13

My work wardrobe is a bit more challenging as I am expected to wear a suit or sport coat so it can be very expensive.

Being down 90 pounds I am getting to the point of having to be creative. At the start I had some very large suits and fell out of them in about 5 months and luckily I had had some others, that were 15 years old, but a much smaller size. I have had them taken in at least once and I wore one yesterday and it was so baggy I felt embarrased. I could pull the jacket out in front of me almost 12 inches and it was buttoned; the pants looked like clown pants. I told my wife I was never going to wear that again!

My plan is to go buy a new sport coat and a couple pair of slacks to hold me over as I work on the last 40 or so pounds in my plan. If I have to take it in again I will rejoice! Once I get near my goal I will invest in a nice suit or two.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #14

:slight_smile: At one point, when my belly was really fat, belts were no longer working for me, so I looked around for some braces (UK term for US “suspenders”). This was only for casual wear, and I had nothing with buttons for traditional braces, so I needed clip-on ones, and the only thing I could find were in ridiculously bright red, and ridiculously wide - they were really for overalls I think.

The result was that I looked and felt like a clown, and was ridiculed mercilessly by my family…

I’m glad to say that having lost at least some inches, belts are working a bit better again, and I don’t think the braces will make a reappearance…

(I didn’t quite look like this…

(but it felt like it…)

(John) #15

I had to wear a suit for a charity event that I had tailored just before the diet (hitting size 40 pants was the catalyst) and had to have it re-tailored. They took out so much material I wasn’t sure it would work. I had some expensive shirts too that I only wore once but had to get new ones as my neck shrank 2.5" so the tie made it just hang open.

(Nicole Anne Parlee) #16

Awesome to everyone!!

I was going to suggest thrift stores, maybe craig’s list or ebay… Maybe even thredup!

(Stephanie ) #17

I can dress business casual but no jeans so I just simplified and cut way down on the amount and variety of clothes I used to keep. I keep two pairs of black slacks for work and one pair of “weekend” pants suitable for the season – either shorts, jeans or cords. Having just three pairs of pants means doing more laundry but it’s worth it. I keep about six tops in my current size. I find that I can get away with larger tops so don’t have to replace those as often. I also have one dressier dress or a black skirt.

(Jennifer) #18

I am a bit of a pack rat with clothes - I guess I figured I would fit into them again someday!! I have clothes down 2 sizes, but I’m starting to fit into them. I have a bunch of capris that should last me a few months for summer. I figure I will go hit the local resale shops as I need. I have a wedding to go to in the end of May and will have to buy something for that. But I’ll wait - no idea where I will be by then…

(Beverly Turner) #19

I just recently bought some new clothes to the tune of $500. Yikes! I have a long way to go but the reward of buying clothes that don’t fall off of me was fantastic. Several points: you always need to replace clothing, only buy a few key pieces, people will finally notice your success, and you will feel great in your new pants! Find some sales and just decide to invest in your success!

I have a few things, but I gave too much of it away to my daughter as she needed clothes to wear (she’s usually a size or two below me and money is tight for her/college student with a child). I have found a few things luckily, but most of the pants are either way too big or just a bit too small.