When somebody loses weight, where does the fat go?

science

(Karim Wassef) #21

Yes it turns to CO2 and water but exhaling more doesn’t cause more fat loss.

It would be interesting if there’s data on change in fat metabolism under hyperbaric (higher pressure) or hyper-oxygen environments… also, would CO2 purging breathing techniques change anything… hmmm

(Bunny) #22

…Hmmmm

According to Wim Hof this is how he survives cold environments (hormetic) which I think has to do with the size of his spleen (the bigger your spleen the less oxygen you need within a longer amount of time like e.g. seals and whales) and respiratory cardio synchronization? Want a bigger spleen and longer telomeres; BREATH MORE?

Wim Hof breathing tutorial by Wim Hof:

• Don’t take the method and techniques too lightly, they go deep and the effects can have a huge impact.
  • Don’t do the breathing exercises in a swimming pool, before going underwater, beneath the shower or piloting any vehicle, without proper supervision. Always practice in a safe environment.
  • Keep in mind to do the exercises without forcing them, gradually build up and don’t exceed your limits.

You could probably run 30 miles and barely be out of breath in a hyper-oxygenated environment and you could probably live 900 years max but your bones would much thicker.

That would be twice the earths atmospheric or current atmospheric pressure with a stronger electromagnetic field projected by the earths core (multi-polaric thermal nuclear reactor; we only see two electromagnetic poles right now).

This type of environment would push oxygen into the blood which changes the parameters on longevity if you could escape cosmic radiation i.e. crystalline particles and hydrogen (ocean water) around the earths stratosphere etc.

(Zach) #23

This is what drives Dr. Fung nuts. It’s like saying “To be rich, bring in more money than you spend”. It’s true but trivially true and ignores budgeting, investing, increasing earning power, etc

(Alec) #24

Am I the only person alive never to have watched this show? :joy:. I know it by reputation of course and I think I saw glimpses of some early shows on TVs in pubs once, but that’s about it.

These reality shows never interest me. Give me a good murder mystery or Time Team.

(Zach) #25

This reminds me of a question asked if Harvard grads just after graduating. The question was “where do trees get their mass?” Less than half got it right. It’s not the soil nor the rain nor sunlight. Amazingly, it is the air! They absorb CO2 as everyone knows and release O2 and are made of carbon. It’s amazing to think that huge sequoias and redwoods got their size from “thin air”!

(Karim Wassef) #26

Hey!! That air isn’t thin. It’s full of my exhaled fat.

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #27

I hate reality shows too, but as someone with a nearly lifelong struggle to maintain a healthy weight, I was curious about the show.

(Jane) #28

:rofl:

(Jane) #29

I’ve never seen MOST of the TV shows people talk about and none of the “reality” shows.

Caught a few series on Netflix like Person of Interest and Fringe but most shows bore me. My one TV vice is college and NFL Football. I blame my Dad!!! :laughing:

(Jane) #30

:joy:

So… I’ve been sequestering carbon and by losing fat I’m now contributing to global warming. :thinking:
At least I’m producing less methane.

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #32

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:
Me too!

(Alec) #33

@atomicspacebunny, did you know this thread was the main part of the mail section of the latest 2KD podcast? The one with Adam Nally.

@carl was very impressed with your chart on who knows where the fat goes, but seemingly much less impressed by the rest of us in this thread… he called us a shouting match! :joy::joy::joy:

Pffft! Some shouting match. I didn’t have to close the topic even once. :joy:

But the night is young. :wink:

(Alec) #35

Yeah, I would call it utterly tame, and almost 100% alignment/agreement! But I don’t think Carl wanted to get into the whole CICO thing…

(Wendy) #36

Hmm, I seem to have missed the shouting part. I found it interesting though, I don’t even really care where it went. I’m just glad it’s gone!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37

No, there are at least two of us. :+1:

I’d make that 3 of us, but I was the unfortunate recipient of a “let’s watch this together” subtle intervention once. It was intended to be motivational. :not-sure-which-emoji-needed:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #39

:poop::tornado:?

(Bunny) #40

A recent finding that won a Nobel Prize:

Three independent physician-scientists from the United States and Britain - William G. Kaelin Jr., Peter J. Ratcliffe and Gregg L. Semenza - recently received the Nobel Prize in physiology and medicine “for their discoveries of how cells sense and adapt to oxygen availability.”

See also:

Full text

Full text