When I reply to someone's specific post, it doesn't show as a reply

I see the two “reply” options. One in each person’s post, and one at the bottom of each thread in purple.

I understand the in-post reply buttons should show the future reader that my response was in response to a particular user, whereas the generic reply button at the bottom is just that, a generic reply at the bottom of the post.

However, whenever I use the in-post reply buttons to a specific post, I don’t see my reply pointing to that person. For example, see my reply to dread1840 here: I have 2 profiles!

(Yes, when I’m posting my in-post reply, I do see the person’s icon above my dialog box where I type. Is this a bug (I’m using Opera) or a problem on my end?)

Thanks for any help on this!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #2

Testing.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #3

Testing again.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #4

The first reply above was an in-post reply and the second was to the post in general. Not one damned difference. Plus, no indication while I’m typing.

You’re right, and this has happened to me at seemingly random times as well. Not sure what to do about it, maybe try closing the page and reopening it. Maybe try bacon.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #5

This is a reply to my first reply.

Not only do I see my own icon at the top while I’m typing, letting me know who I’m responding to, but it’s going to the right place.

Could it be that the very first post in a thread can only receive a general reply, not an in-post one, and then after that the in-post feature kicks in?

Replying to your most recent post…testing!

Apparently not! Well, at least we still have :bacon:

Edit: it worked this time. Weird!

(Nick) #8

My observation is that if the post you’re replying to is the most recent in the thread (i.e. it will immediately precede your reply), the arrow pointing back to the post does not appear. I guess the logic is that it’s right there above your post, and so the arrow is only needed when you’re not replying to the most recent post.

That makes sense @donut. Trying it here. We shouldn’t see your name on this one…

But we should see it here…testing…

Yep! That’s the deal. Nice sleuthing @donut!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #12

Give that man some bacon!

Note: If you type the @ symbol, a list of names will pop up, allowing you to select specific people and notify them that you have referenced them in a post or reply. @PrimalBrian @donut

I guess this topic thread is talking about what I’m trying to talk about. I wish that replies to a specific poster within an existing thread would all congregate around that original comment, instead of coming all the way to the bottom of the thread with just a link to the original comment.

You know, like Facebook and Reddit and Instagram do.

It’s just very cumbersome and messy to follow through. The trigger for this post was the What did you keto today threads- the top level comments are all photos, and when I want to get inspiration for dinner I have to scroll through countless comments and questions I don’t care to read. And then when someone asks “oh how did you make that?” I have to click a link to see what they were asking about, and the response may come 55 posts later, or everyone may ask the same question.

Is there a reason we can group sub-comment replies together?

There should be a link at the bottom of the post that says “4 replies” etc if you want to read them in order.

Like this:
replies

Often a reply will contain quotes to multiple posts so it would be difficult to sort all those different threads out otherwise.

Ok thanks, that’s helpful for reading a full comment thread.
I still think it would be better to change the replying concept to a stepped format. Folks could change how they reply easily. I think it would look a lot cleaner and more intuitive. But thank you for the reply

Yeah, that level of intervention I believe is at the software developer level rather than under our control. You can check out discussions about the Discourse platform we’re using here:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

The creators of the Discourse software have very strong feelings on this matter, and they are unlikely to be persuaded to change this aspect of the program.

If you wish to follow a chain of replies, the software will remember your starting point, and all you have to do is to click on the “Back” button that appears, when you are ready to return to your starting point.