What's the benefits of drinking ketones

Everybodys different, but having experimented for doing TKD and doing the ol’ Dextrose spike I can say the as far as energy bursts in the gym I’m more wired on ketones than I am Dextrose, what I will give Dextrose is that it gives you the post workout pump better.

(Jean Taylor) #19

My husband got some after reading they would help with keto flu. I don’t know if they work for that or not really because I never had it, but since then he’ll take them some on days he needs extra energy.

I took a 1/2 a serving once in the morning and then couldn’t sleep that night. My mind just wouldnt shut off. No idea why since i think they should have wore off by then, but I didn’t want to try them again I have enough trouble sleeping with out that crap lol

(Hoteski) #20

That’s helpful to know so if I do decide to give it a try I will know to have it in the morning not evening

(Consensus is Politics) #21

I hav no real life experience with exogenous ketones. I have no real life experience with arsenic. Poor comparison? I think not. Arsenic is in our diet, albeit extremely low amounts. But that doesn’t mean adding more to my diet would be beneficial.

Arsenic is proven to be poisonous. It’s a fact. I don’t need to test it on myself to know this. Benefits of exogenous ketones are none existent. If it’s being sold by MLM businesses then that puts up a red flag for me. MLM is a marketing ploy to make money for the guy at the top, ipso facto. A.L. Williams, Amway, there was a diet one as well, Herbalife (?). If it sells, if people can be convinced it’s good, if it can be even weakly linked to some big trend of the moment, MLM will pick it up and run with it. They even have “doctors” to rave about the products (well, guys in white lab coats and glasses).

Here’s the problem with the idea of exogenous ketones. We don’t know what they are doing. You can’t say for a fact that it’s the ketones you are ingesting are what’s giving you that energy boost. It could very well be that it has added caffeine or some other chemical to give that effect. I used to use a fiber supplement. It’s label said “sugar free” and “ safe for diabetics”. Turns out it has maltodextrin in it which has a higher glycemic index than just plain sugar. It was holding up my blood glucose progression. I stopped taking it and had immediate results.

Now to be fair, I’m not saying there are no benefits. I’m saying there is no evidence.

First rule of life, question everything. Especially those in authority, or those that make claims like, carbohydrates are an essential nutrient. Put their feet to the fire. Ask why. What makes this a good product? How does it work? Where are the studies to show? I’m talking scientific method, not a pie chart. [by the way, a moment after I began this reply, I went looking for recent info on exogenous ketones (EK). The only studies I could find were nothing but pie charts, or graphs. Nothing useful. I want to see a study where a few thousand people (not mice, rats, dogs, or pigs) are given EK in a double blind w/ control group study. Science doesn’t work by consensus. Even if all our politicians, or 97% of them anyway, will tell you otherwise.

Sorry, getting verbose. Forcing myself to stop rambling now.

Keto Vitae!

(Hoteski) #22

From what I gather this is to assist with giving me more energy … If that being the case im about as likely to have it as a can of red bull … Due to mental health being stable is important to me. So whilst the question was what are the benefits perhaps I should have asked what does it do for those that have taken it. How does it make them feel and is weight loss affected in good order bad way due to only addidnt this to the diet and changing nothing else once you have been on a stable keto lifestyle for several months to years.

(Consensus is Politics) #23

My apologies. I need to chain that damn soapbox of mine in the attic or garage, I keep jumping up on it.

Those are the right questions to ask. See how people that use it feel. What results are they getting. Did it make any difference. Were those results from the EK? Or would those results happened on their own?

In my opinion, if a person is trying to attain Ketosis, or stay in Ketosis, then EK would be working against them. The whole “if your body doesn’t work at making them it just stops doing it” because thing.

But as a supplement for something else? :thinking:I think a person would be better off just eating a Keto diet, and reap all the benefits that that offers.

(Hoteski) #24

Which is what I have done so far … But as this was given to me I thought I’d ask the question before it ends up in the draw where nothing ever leaves once put in

(Jean Taylor) #25

I couldn’t sleep when I tried EF either. I don’t know that it would be an issue for most people.

For weight loss, I don’t think there’s much benefit to consuming exogenous ketones. In fact, it may be counterproductive.

Last year, I purchased a small (and expensive!) tub of Keto Drive BHB salts. My thought was that I might take some either pre- or post-workout, but I’ve found that I haven’t really needed it. I’ve only used a few doses from the tub so far.

It’s my understanding that there are benefits for people not on a ketogenic diet. There’s quite a lot of discussion about this in “The Ketogenic Bible” by Jacob Wilson and Ryan Lowery. Dom D’Agostino also talks about this quite a lot too in the interviews that I’ve listened to.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #27

If you run or do other distance exercise, they could take the place of gels that other distance runners use. Not necessary, but helpful.

Alternatively, folks take them as a brain focus supplement.

I’d be curious, and probably set up a test with some game I play, like solitaire, or mah jong on the phone, and see how my average time was on them or not.

I don’t think there’s any dietary benefit for people already in ketosis or fat adapted.

(Bonnie Low) #28

This is an interesting discussion. Just curious, why do you use them? What benefit do you see?

The ones I have heard about is to add to a patient with dementia’s diet and it helped I think with the bends for deep sea diving navy seals (or something like that, it was Dom’s experiment)

As for trying it on a game of solitare, you would have to have someone else administer the ketones otherwise it would be a placebo effect and it tastes awful I am told . Maybe put it or not in some liver?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #30

I don’t actually double blind to use the solitaire test on my ADD med (takes about 15-30 minutes to take effect based on my testing), so I think a self administered N=1 study of exogenous ketones wouldn’t need a blind.

That said, superior study design would be superior.

(CharleyD) #31

Try it first thing and try to be mindful of how you feel. I’d imagine you’ll feel just fine. The idea to play some games while dosed with it is intriguing!

I also experimented with these things, Know Brainer, which is MCT Oil and butter, and it made my brain pretty happy. It was over the last Christmas break and didn’t have taekwondo classes in session to really run the things through their paces properly. I use MCT oil powder now.

The evidence is many thousands of people taking them with good results. Just as we do with keto, you know, the diet that will kill us. The diet that MOST Doctors will provide pretty convincing evidence that it’s terrible for you. Most if it bullshit? Yes. Huge part of it lies? YES! But it’s still there. In the end, taking exogenous ketones is no difference than ANY other non FDA controlled supplement. The provide many good results for most of the people taking them, if you don’t take ANY supplement without 20 years of papers and studies that go back before the things were invented, that’s fine, that’s your choice and every individual is entitled to their opinion. But the flocks of sheep that hop on the bash the ketones bandwagon, while never taking them, no first hand experience with them, is simply stupid. If there was evidence that there was medical negatives, fine. Many people including myself would take that very seriously. The fact is nobody has shown and negatives so far and lack of long term studies on something that hasn’t been around long does NOT automatically mean it’s going to kill you, hurt you, or even mess you up a little.

Agreed, I live my life by that. But again, no evidence to show their not “safe” and lots of research showing their helping people for a whole lot of reasons. Does that mean their PROVEN safe long term, nope. But it doesn’t show it the other way either. People gotta make their own choices on what works for them.

(Sheila) #33

I’m sorry for my ignorance what is EF?

(Hoteski) #34

Don’t know what EF is but I did try this drink that I posted originally and it wasnt nice so I won’t be having any more .

(Doug) #35

“Extended Fasting” = EF.

(Sheila) #36

DUH!!! Thank you.

(Ken) #37

The real question is if consuming supplemental ketones provide a superior benefit compared to simply consuming fat so as to make your own. One pro argument could be they may be utilized faster by the body. But, how much faster than a MCT? Is it significant enough to justify the absurd cost?

Having been on the Supplement Train many years ago I’m skeptical (my natural state). I eventually concluded that you could get equal or superior benefits from eating Whole Foods.

I have yet to see any real science on the matter, only marketing hype.