Whats happening to me

(Winston Baccus) #34

Since you’re in the early stages and maybe not yet fat adapted completely, it could be the same thing that happens when do a 2 day fast.

On that 2nd day, I get a really euphoric feeling. No longer hungry, I just feel awesome. (I’m feeling it right now since I haven’t eaten since night before last.)

That doesn’t explain the vision/colors, but it is like being buzzed/high on something good.

Your body isn’t yet adept at using ketones for fuel, yet you aren’t giving it sugar, so you’re in a fast-like state.

(Bob M) #35

You have to put this into context. For me, low carb/keto 6 years, I do have a minor amount of skin tags, maybe 2? Compared to the many I had to have removed before keto, that’s not bad.

Precancerous lesions that caused me to go to the doctor every 6 months? Gone. Don’t go to the dermatologist any more.

Allergies, where I was taking 2 24-hour pills a day? Gone. Took one allergy pill last YEAR, and likely didn’t need that.

60 pounds, gone.

GERD, gone.

IBS, gone.

Depression, mood swings, anger? 99.999% gone.

Rotator cuff injuries? Still there, but I haven’t had to had surgery.

Cataracts? Still have one in my left eye, but the surgeon who told me I’d have to have that eye operated on in a year (had the left one done while on SAD) is still waiting for me 6 years later.

So many other improvements I can’t think of right now.

I guess if you think that keto is bad, maybe you shouldn’t be keto?

(Keto Koala 🐨) #36

Owwwwwwwwwww :disappointed_relieved:

(Davy) #37

Somebody get me what Aimee’s eating!

(Keto Koala 🐨) #38

Lol, I’m just eating pretty boring. No fancy stuff. Just eggs and meat, cheese ect. Too hot to cook for ages. I’m no longer feeling high, that lasted 2 hours. But it’s the next day and the coulours are still bright but I’m used to it now I have a crappy headache today. I hate this heatwave. It’s SO HOT!!

Aimee. You find yourself flying without having learnt to fly. Try and remember the feeling for the explanation of it may bring you back to the ground to find you have lost the ability, or at least the feeling of magic.

It’s likely happening because you are Australian. Part of the bushfire crisis is also the burning of all the previously hidden marijuana crops.

That last sentence may be inaccurate.

I felt it a bit harsh for you to get accused of trolling, especially when you were communicating confusion and joy (euphoria), but you navigated that nicely in your euphoric state.

Sometimes I see the colours and the auras after a long hold down wipe out, or if I’m under water a bit long free diving. A reduction in blood oxygen can ignite a euphoric state. This happens repeatable and more intensely if I’m surfing in a fasted state with elevated blood ketones. Possibly it’s acetone mixed with carbon dioxide in the reduced oxygen state. Acetone effect can be likened to the effects of alcohol (ethanol).

I’ve been Keto 5 years. So can understand the euphoria and clarity feelings. They happen to different extents and are experienced individually as you can read in the commentary stream.

For some people the experience is negative. See the list (below) of potential individual responses when people take a drug GBH that is a molecule almost identical to the blood ketone molecule BHB being created by your liver. One can understand why some people vehemently argue that the ketogenic diet is dangerous or bad for you (they had a bad trip).

• feelings of euphoria
  • increased sex drive
  • lowered inhibitions
  • drowsiness
  • tremors
  • nausea
  • diarrhoea

In my experience the Keto high is repeatable and a main reason to find the way of eating ‘easy’, in that it can be pleasurable in itself. The initial high is best explained by the generation of higher circulating levels of betahydroxybutyrate blood ketone in the absence of fat adaptation, ketone using mechanisms, so the bhb persists in circulation. Also initially, it is combined with higher levels of acetoacetate and acetone, the alcohol mimicking blood ketone (that’s why you can get a positive reading on a police breath test when starting Keto). The internal cocktail bar has been opened. It’s also an interesting thing to chase in fasting (but dangerous in that fasting context for those with eating disorders, and we are constantly told by the huddled SAD eating masses that Keto is disordered eating).

You are experiencing the wonderful mild euphoria of nutritional ketosis. Enjoy it and continue to use it as a tool as you explore nutrition for you.

One of these ketone bodies, beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB), is an isomer of the notorious drug of abuse, GHB (gamma-hydroxybutyrate). GHB is also of interest in relation to its potential as a treatment for alcohol and opiate dependence and narcolepsy-associated cataplexy.

Is Keto a gateway drug to health or disordered eating?
(Keto Koala 🐨) #41

Wow, you have certainly done your research :joy:. That was very interesting. Yes, after the high yesterday I felt like my head was gonna explode. It wasn’t a bad feeling but it was kinda scary. The headache is gone now with the help of aspirin. I’ve lost 2 and a half pounds in three days but that’s most likely water weight. Yes the bushfires are awful. The little house I grew up in as a child burnt down :disappointed:. The other day the sky was Orange and smoke was wafting into the house and I couldn’t stop sneezing. Cannot wait till summer’s over. It never rains, like ever. Thank you for saying that about the trolling thing. I’ve never trolled in my life. I cannot friggin stand internet trolls. But generally I have found this forum to be full of nice amazing people. Puts some of my faith back in the human race. The support is amazing. I can’t talk keto to my family because I was a severe anorexic in 2016 and they get worried and think I’m going to go down that road again but I’m not. I’m just sick of yoyoing with my weight. I never want to go back to eating carb loaded junk. I feel so much healthier already in just 11 days than I did before. Never saw bright coulours eating pizzas etc. Lol. Xxx

(Keto Koala 🐨) #43

Yep I have pink Himalayan salt with every meal. I find salt without food to be soooooo bland. Once on a crash diet, I had no salt for two weeks and my vision became all blurry with dots dancing before my eyes. It was awful.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #44

This is such a crazy thread. I grew up eating meat and veggies. Pasta once a week. That was a normal 1960s diet. With the exception of the occasional sweet potato. No euphoria there. My grandmother graduated Sargent school for girls in 1920. It was a physical education program. Everyone knew carbs were bad in the 1920s. So why does everyone think keto is new. It has been around forever.

You are correct Regina. Experience forms a foundation to belief.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #46

Holy cow! Finally scored a point on the forums. Thanks @FrankoBear

(Keto Koala 🐨) #47

That’s very true

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #48

@Regina If it’s any consolation I’ve never experienced anything unusual on keto. Well, OK, a lifetime of bloat, flatulence, indigestion and reflux disappeared within a couple weeks of starting. But no bright lights, visions, excursions into euphoria, etc. I have no idea what ‘brain fog’ means, so keto probably hasn’t cleared that either. Level of energy is about the same as before. Given I’m 74, that may be something. My retirement plan is a full-time job at Walmart. Oops, almost forgot. The floaters in my eyes seem to have disappeared. That’s something, I’m sure.

Long ago and far away I had some unusual experiences not drug related. So I’m willing to give some slack to someone who claims they’ve experienced something strange/weird until additional evidence of wishful thinking and/or the placebo effect are forthcoming.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #50

I just turned 31 and just found out about it recently. Had never heard of it.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #53

That’s ok, I know you were just talking in general :blush:. I WISH I knew about it at 17, would have saved me from years of anorexia and disordered eating. There’s so much to learn.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #55

Me too. After being very underweight 3 years ago, I started eating and couldn’t stop. Now I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been. I’m too embarrassed to see my weight obsessed thin family. I finally thought “Enough”!! I never want to go back there again. I do still have disordered thinking though. I lost 2 and a half pounds in 3 days and my silly stupid disorder head thinks it’s not enough. I know that people have said on here not to fear calories and I’m trying SO hard to work on that. I eat 1350 to 1250 a day on average, some say that’s not enough but I’m just not hungry. I have to force myself to eat.

@Fangs talks about nourishment a lot.

Disordered thinking is a tough one, as it interferes with recognising satiety and hunger signals clearly. Those ‘natural’ skills need some relearning and that’s where a low carb physician could hopefully help.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #57

Is it normal to only lose 2 pounds and a bit in 3 days??

Initial weight loss is water weight as the low insulin environment releases the available glycogen stores in the liver. The water follows the waste products from that. Body fat loss of 0.5kg per week will get everyone to where they’re going. If your body is metabolically damaged, it might divert the nutrients from your nutrition rich foods (make it so) to repair work. So for the first couple of weeks enjoy the highs, add salt and marvel at the lack of hunger. Read around the forums, particularly the women’s topics. As there is great stuff about boosting body fat loss by eating enough and good advice on aspects like that.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #59

Thanks, will do :blush:. I would honestly be so lost without all you guys.