What will the mojo keto meter tell me about my body

newbies

(Dee Eichler) #1

I have been on ket for 6 weeks and I need a source of assurance I am doing this right. My weight lose has been minimal so I dont wat to us the scale. I ordered a meter today and have some questions
Best time to test
What is this result going to tell me.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

I don’t myself test, so I can’t tell you when the best time of day for it is, but I do know that your ketone level will fluctuate throughout the day.

Don’t stress too much about the readings. The reason is that the meter will measure the level of β-hydroxybutyrate circulating in your blood, which is useful to know, but unfortunately there is no way to measure just how much your body is producing and using. All you know from the measurment is whether your body is producing ketones and how much β-hydroxybutyrate hasn’t been used yet. :grin: On the other hand, the definition of nutritional ketosis is 0.5 mmol/dL or higher of serum β-hydroxybutyrate.

But regardless of what the meter says, it is possible to tell if you are making ketones by asking yourself the following two questions:

1. Am I eating less than 20 g/day of carbohydrate?
  2. Am I alive?

If the answer to both questions is Yes, then you are making ketones. :grin::bacon::bacon:

(Dee Eichler) #3

The answer is yes to both but I saw.that eating too much protein can knock u out of ketosis. ???

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

I think that is old information. It used to be believed that if we ate too much protein, the excess would be converted into glucose, by a process called gluconeogenesis. However, it has since been shown that gluconeogenesis occurs only when necessary, and the body deals with excess protein in other ways.

Professor Bikman, who has studied these matters, says that too much insulin will shut down ketone production, but that if we eat very little carbohydrate, excess protein causes glucagon production to rise along with insulin production, and the increased glucagon keeps ketogenesis going, preventing the insulin from shutting it down.

(Bob M) #5

Too much protein might (and I mean MIGHT) lower ketosis, but it’s unlikely to knock you out of ketosis. I’ve tested hundreds of grams of protein in single meals and did not get knocked out of ketosis, but it could be possible I lowered my level of ketosis (I’d need two of me, one eating higher protein and one eating lower) to check that. I now usually eat higher protein and lower fat, and don’t plan to go back to eating higher fat, so I’m not doing the tests I’d need to do to see the effect of protein on ketosis in terms of lowering ketone levels.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #6

If you do not like the scale, maybe look into a tape measure. Cheaper than a keto mojo, probably more useful for the monitoring of progress, both in the short and the long terms.

(Janelle) #7

Agree with the tape measure and wait for someone who has actually used a Keto Mojo to answer you. They will likely have spot on advice for how they use it.

(Todd Allen) #8

Glucagon releases liver glycogen and can reduce and maybe stop ketosis. Back when I was more metabolically deranged excess protein lowered my ketone readings a lot. I could only attain high readings when fasting and then they would shoot crazy high. Now my ketone readings are more stable, more tolerant of higher protein (and more carbs too) but don’t rise as much in a fast either.

(Running from stupidity) #9

Is it my imagination/seeing patterns that don’t exist, or are we giving far more “anti-gadget” advice these days? (I fully support that advice, just wondering.)

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #10

I have a Keto Mojo. I also read up on the sites FAQ. Here is a good piece of info that may help you :slight_smile:

When We Test for Ketones

• An hour after waking (before drinking and eating). It’s a good idea to wait an hour after waking due to the “dawn effect” (an abnormal early-morning increase in blood sugar/glucose) In the morning, glucose will be higher and ketones are generally at their lowest.

• At noon, before a meal

• Before an evening meal

• Optional: before a meal and at 30, 60, and 120 minutes after eating to see how you are reacting to the foods you’re eating. (We call this curiosity testing).

Please note that glucose strips give better indications of food reactions because glucose fluctuates faster than ketones. For example, glucose reaches its peak one hour after eating, while ketones take much longer to generate.

Also it is important to know that you can test whenever it is convenient for you. Just be sure to test around the same time each day, this will allow you to compare results.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Just quoting Bikman. He ascribes the regulation of ketogenesis to insulin, not glucagon. Insulin and glucagon are pretty much antagonists. If both of them were to shut down ketogenesis, we’d really be in a pickle, it seems to me. Guess some more research is in order; it seems to be a changing understanding.

(Running from stupidity) #12

It’s no orphan there.

(Todd Allen) #13

Glucagon doesn’t shut down ketogenesis. It raises blood sugar. And with sufficient insulin resistance it can overshoot, at least it did for me. When I had fatty liver and poor blood sugar control I could see my blood sugar rise and ketones fall after ingesting whey protein when I hadn’t been fasting. When fasted and especially in combination with blood sugar lowering medication, protein could also drop my blood sugar rather low. Now that I’ve had apparently good metabolic health for the past year my blood sugar is more stable and doesn’t react as much.

I’ve played around with this because glucagon is a trigger for releasing another hormone PACAP which has been found very beneficial in mouse models of a genetic disease I have SBMA. PACAP is a driver of cold induced thermogenesis so I also was testing it in combination with cold exposure.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #14

Fuck all if you’re fat adapted, lol

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

Now you’re just messing with me, lol! :grin:

(Running from stupidity) #16

Stop taking pictures of your arse for your fanclub and sell her yours, Katie. You’ve been meaning to sell it for months :slight_smile:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #17

No. @Keigan would never forgive me. I need his inspirational words to keep me going :joy::joy:

(Running from stupidity) #18

I didn’t mean FOREVER, just long enough to do something else, which in this instance was selling your pointless meter :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

Oh! You mean sell her meter! :grin:

(Running from stupidity) #20

Clearly she can’t sell her arse.

Or can she…