What to eat before a triathlon

newbies

(Jessica Carranza) #1

Hey everyone, I’ve had great success with using the Keto diet to help manage seizures. I decided to train for triathlons after I was diagnosed with epilepsy last year (because I’m crazy like that), it’s helped me stay motivated. I don’t take any seizure meds, and between the keto, thc/cbd, and supplements I’ve gone from three seizures a day to currently 2 months seizure free.

Reading this forum is a little confusing for me, you all talk about things I have ever heard of! I have been in ketosis, testing my blood for about nine months, and I had no idea there was so much to the diet. My neurologist refused to help me when I decided to do the keto, so I’ve been trying to figure it all out my own.
My weight has basically stayed the same but I have a low BMI and I’m not attempting to loose weight, just gain muscle. I am a lazy keto dieter, I eat the same thing everyday: protein shake, bacon and eggs, salad, and beef with small amounts of veggies.

I get a little worried about “carbing up” before an event. I recently did my first triathlon and a 7k run without eating anything except for my bullet proof coffee. I’m tempted to experiment a little bit, so that I don’t loose energy towards the end, but I’m also afraid of kicking my body out of ketosis during an event, having a seizure in public is quite embarrassing and dangerous during a swim.

Anyone with experience in this? thanks!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

Why not try finding a non carb energy source if you feel you need one? A packet of nut butter for instance.
There’s a bacon stop at a popular marathon near me.

(Ron) #3

You might find this conversation helpful.

(less is more, more or less) #4

As was I before my first half-marathon. So I did an 8 mile run well into being fully fat-adapted. Not only did I not “need” anything, I had energy to spare, it’s quite an experience.

On the morning of my run, I only had a shot of salt-water, and a most delicious pint of homebrew beer after the finish line. That beer was for emotional, not health, reasons. :wink: I felt surprisingly great after my run, beer and all (I don’t drink beer anymore, so that was my earned exception)

(Jessica Carranza) #5

Beer sounds good!! haha