What is this forum software?

(Andrew) #1

This forum is like 10 times nicer than the older paged forum software everyone uses. Kudo’s to whoever wrote it.

Haven’t tried it on the phone yet, but it’s great on the ole computer.

The software is called “Discourse” and it’s free I believe.

Link to their website:

(Michael ) #3

There’s an android app as well. Not a lot of bells and whistles but allows notifications

(Andrew) #4

url? it is ignoring my attempts at the obvious ones (trying from ios) same code it seems.

(Michael ) #5

Idk. Just search discourse app. If you search the threads here, i think there’s a guide

(matt ) #6

https://www.discourse.org/ is the URL

(Richard Morris) #7

We had the developer Jeff Attwoood on the podcast

We pay $750/month for the Ketogenic Forums … well we used to pay the bills ourselves, but since roughly August out patreons have totally taken over paying for the Ketogenic Forums. Thank you to them for sharing our vision.

(Consensus is Politics) #8

I use it on my iPhone a majority of the time. I pretty much gave on fixing iPhone autocorrects as well.

As far as forums go, this is by far the best structured one I have ever used.

(VLC.MD) #9

Interesting.
I have rather enjoyed Discourse as a platform, but the price seems steep ! Xenforo 140 USD (one time), and a 30 dollar a month VPS would easily handle the traffic.

Of course, things are going so well here … I’d change nothing !

Major drawbacks of Discourse is the price and customisability. A great feature is that it seems to “work well” and be relatively low maintenance for admins / mods.

(Consensus is Politics) #10

I’m glad it isn’t vBulletin. Holy cow. From now on I will be checking what back end is used for the forum to be sure to skip anything using it. Simple going to a vBulletin site could comprise your computer, before you even have a chance to read the first word on the page.

Is that for hosting costs or for use of the software?

(Keto in Katy) #12

I use Xenforo on a busy college athletics forum. It is $140/yr if you want to maintain updates and support. Well worth it to me.

Not sure a $30 VPS would handle the kind of traffic they get here. Maybe it would.

(VLC.MD) #13

Base software is one time $140, includes 1 year of support.
Additional year of support is $40.

You may have the RM or ES ?

(Keto in Katy) #14

You’re right, sorry. I think my cost was higher due to licensing add-ons.

(Richard Morris) #15

Hosting by the guys who designed the software with all the bells and whistles enabled, Millions of pageviews and all the content like images and files.

Excellent site! Thank you.

$750 a lot of money to be paying for hosting costs. Even a dedicated server doesn’t cost that much per month.

(Richard Morris) #18

Sure. We could be on Facebook for free :slight_smile:

(Consensus is Politics) #19

Facebook? Wtf is that?

(Consensus is Politics) #20

Oh?!!! I saw that on an episode of “The IT crowd”! But I think they called it ‘FriendFace’

:rofl:

I’m desperately looking for a clip to put in here… FOUND IT!