What I think Vegans have right - Nitric Oxide & micronutrients

food
long-covid

(Ross) #1

THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE

Over the past couple years, I 've talked (and argued) with a number of vegans on social media, and while I’ve found their arguments lacking, there was one thing I could not explain: Why aren’t vegans fat?

I ran that question by a number of well informed people and didn’t get a satisfactory answer. By our theories of insulin driven obesity, it would seem that these high carb vegans should be fat, or at least chubby, but they aren’t. Some claimed it was because vegans were so malnourished they were digesting their own bodies, others that it had to do with the Randle Cycle (competition between carbs and fatty acids) because, they claimed, vegans eat a very low fat, low to moderate protein, high carb diet.

Neither of these seems to hold water. There are plenty of examples, for instance, of vegan gym rats who eat a whole foods vegan diet with copious supplementation of vegetable based protein powders who maintain a body composition similar to their keto or paleo counterparts. The Randle Cycle briefly satisfied my question until I found many examples of low BMI vegans who eat moderate fat diets. Many get a lot of fat in the form of nut butters as a primary protein source for instance. This latter example really interested me because Americans, in the 60s, 70’s and into the 80’s, could eat a large amount of fast food combining fat & carbs and didn’t tend to get obese until something started to change in the later 1980s / early 1990s.

So, I started doing a little observational research on what and how vegans eat.

Q: How do you starve a vegan?
A: You take away the blender.

The joke is funny because it’s true. If you pull up any number of vegan “what I eat in a day” videos, they almost all start with the morning smoothie made from a variety of fresh, raw vegetables (or alternatively freeze dried vegetable powders), mostly with a base of leafy greens and the addition of some fresh fruit, soy milk or fruit juice and occasionally some seeds or nut butters.

Notably here, these are FRESH vegetables, not cooked. That means these vegans are taking in HUGE amounts of Nitric Oxide (NO) along with some very key micronutrients, in particular beta carotene, C, D3 (fortified fake milks), K1, Mg, Zn, etc…) Dietary nitrates in the leafy greens tends to be destroyed by cooking apparently & while the nutritional content of our foods tends to have been reduced via soil depletion, it seems these vegans may be making up for that by sheer volume, takin in fresh vegies from a fire hose, along with the dietary nitrates.

Why is this important? There are ample studies out there linking Insulin Resistance (IR) to any number of micronutrient deficiencies. Most people eating SAD are fat and deficient in multiple of these micros. That didn’t explain the slender high carb vegans however, because if it were only the micros, then anyone eating SAD that takes a multi-vitamin would get similar improvements in IR and drop body fat, which obviously is not the case. Most of the micros do, however have a supporting role with respect to Nitric Oxide (NO)!

NO is a signaling molecule in the body involved in a lot of processes and doesn’t seem to be particularly well understood. It is known to be a vascular dilator and to have a role in IR however.
NO is produced in one of four ways:

1. eNOS (conversion of L-Arginine, to NO and L-Citrulline by endothelial cells)
  2. Dietary Nitrates.
  3. Sun exposure.
  4. Exercise.

I did find some rat studies which indicate heated and reheated refined vegetable oils disrupt eNOS and result in heart disease! NOTE: while I tend to be skeptical of rat and mouse studies with a ketogenic diet since rats and mice are difficult to keep in ketosis, I’m less skeptical about studies with such oils.

This made me raise an eyebrow because around the time people in the USA began getting REALLY REALLY FAT, fast food chains also made the switch from frying in beef tallow to refined vegetable oils! A little more research told me that high blood glucose also tends to attack and damage endothelial cells, further reducing the amount of available NO. Also, inflammation response (veg oils & sugar) robs the body of available NO as well.

Low NO results, in part, in a back-up of insulin in the body. Since endothelial cells can’t produce enough NO, insulin can’t move as effectively into interstitial space and supply cells. Higher long term insulin levels => IR. NO is also involved in mitochondrial biogenesis (along with our old friend Magnesium). Mitochondrial dysfunction is part of IR. Healthy & plentiful mitochondria are part of a healthy metabolism and metabolic flexibility.

Dietary nitrates from vegetable sources, as it turns out, can easily make up for MORE THAN the total amount of NO made via eNOS in a single day.

On sun exposure, notice also that starting around the same time that obesity started to climb in the USA, the fear of sun related skin cancers resulted in use of sunscreen or sun avoidance. This removed a supplemental source of NO. Correlation does not equal causation, but it’s interesting.

A lot of these other micronutrients perform a supporting part in NO production, and keeping it from breaking down quite so quickly, but Beta Carotene appears to perform a very specific independent role in IR. It supports the clearance of insulin from our bloodstream! It does not appear that Retinol preforms the same function or can be substituted for Beta Carotene in this case. Clearing insulin from the blood is likely just as important as reducing insulin production in the first place.

What does this all mean to me? Our understanding of IR is incomplete and perhaps, minimizing carbs & oxalates in the diet at the expense of raw vegetables rich in nitrates and micronutrients (such as spinach, arugula, kale, cabbage, broccoli, carrot…) and certain lower carb fruits like strawberries, is wrongheaded and even somewhat counterproductive if our goal is to improve/optimize metabolic health.

P.S. There’s a vegetable called “red spinach” which is really a form of amaranth that is VERY HIGH in dietary nitrates and is said to have ZERO oxalates. I have no idea if it has an appealing flavor but it’s out there.

P.S.S. Nitric Oxide has been shown to inhibit viral replication of Covid-19.

P.S.S.S. I have been away from the forum for a while due to completing a Masters degree in Engineering. I’ll try not to be such a stranger.

When I was a raw food vegan I was “ skinny fat”.

(In addition to a plethora of other bizarre aches and ailments.)

(Ross) #3

Please note, I am not promoting veganism , or raw food veganism, which is kinda crazy if you ask me.

One thing I noticed in my research on veganism was that many/most fail out of it within the first year. It tends to make people sick. The longer term vegans either decide to live with their illnesses in order to satisfy their belief system, or they learn how to construct a well formulated vegan diet using large amounts of non-whole food supplementation in conjunction with some very specific foods such as Marmite.

I was part of that crazy 80/10/10 Banana cult. :joy:

(Ross) #5

yeah, Freely isn’t healthy. Protein deficiency and all.

(Allie) #6

I know plenty who are.

(Bob M) #7

Aren’t these the same vegans that freak out over nitrates added to bacon?

(Ross) #8

Nitrate salts are different, but yes, you are correct. They tend to references the highly questionable WHO “study” quite a bit on-line as a piece of propaganda.

I would stay chubby as a vegan too, I assure you :smiley: I would do LCHF veganism, obviously. If I would do veganism what I won’t. As a HCLF vegan? I would die of hunger in a few months if I wouldn’t kill myself before. Low-fat is something I never tried and never will.

I am quite sure the answer is complicated. Many vegans are simply not those overeating types. If someone focus on their diet this much and willing to make sacrifices (some vegans may not do sacrifices from their viewpoint but surely many do), that person is already vastly different from the average person who doesn’t really care. So it’s not only their diet. And anyway, there are zillion vegan diets. Some lives on sugar, some surely eat cakes and chips and all kinds of crap (though vegan cakes are pretty bad if you ask me… I only know one edible type… but I am an egg fan and if I wanted a cake, I would make a carnivore one so yep, my opinion isn’t very important here), there are vegan ketoers and so on. When I had some plant-based days, they were low-carb and quite fatty, of course… Just a few days out of curiosity, not sustainable (I tried my best but I simply need extreme low-carb to feel right and IDK how vegans with <20g net carbs do it, I couldn’t go below 60g. and it was the only time when I ate adequate protein! I usually eat quite high protein, all my vegetarian years had it, I simply can’t eat little protein. but without my lots of animal food, it dropped to adequate levels. it would still be higher if I used some other style, I easily eat 160g gluten in one sitting and I could pair it with legumes, I don’t even need a lot of carbs for that. my SO gets lots of protein from grains and legumes - he eats animal products too but little so his protein would be way too low without the plant proteins and as far as I know, it’s good enough using these multiple sources. it was fine for his active lifestyle this far so I never dismiss plant proteins. they are the same anyway just not everything at once in the right amount).
Some vegans never eat vegetables, others never eat fruits. Some eats any crap they fancy, health-consciousness isn’t on their mind (it doesn’t matter here that their own style of veganism is healthy for someone, just the wish to eat healthy). The differences are simply too great.
Oh and it’s not the same eating 1200 kcal and 5000 kcal on a vegan diet. It’s way trickier to get most of the nutrients from food when we barely eat especially if a big part of it has barely any nutritional value. So a low-cal vegan diet with horrible choices is clearly damage the person very quickly.

And there are fat vegans too. Possibly less than among normal people but it doesn’t seem surprising to me. Vegans aren’t only people who think about their diet, it seems many of them are more or less young women who do anything to stay slim.
We should look at vegan populations but they may be very different from a western average one too and not because of their diet…

True. Add to this the fact that vegans tend to be not exactly…1000 percent truthful about how strictly they are adhering to “no animal proteins”. Just like any other WOE - what people practice and what they might preach can be quite different.

I was adherent- only after I got sick and had to quit - was when long term vegans admitted to me, “when you start to get weak - you have to go out for sushi.” Etc.

(Ross) #11

You make a good point.

I should clarify that my post concerns longer term vegans eating a well formulated vegan diet which likely includes supplementation.

As was pointed out to me by a rather intelligent long term vegan, there are many people who try and fail out of a Keto diet because they simply do not know what they’re doing and end up eating lots of high fat processed food and use refined vegetable oils, etc… They then claim Keto does not work.

When it comes down to it, most people who claim to be vegan aren’t really dietary vegans. They’re eating a lot of carbage and processed crap. I know people who claim to be vegan, for instance, that eat ice cream like it’s going out of style!

I was Vegan for over a year. I gained 30 pounds within 2 months, and I was not being a “pastaterian”. My body could not handle all of the plant materials. Soy is a terrible food for me as well. I’ve known many Vegans who were and are overweight and who look terribly unhealthy.

When I look at the nutrition gurus of books, FB, IG YouTube

I see people that are HighProfile Zero Carb that look amazingly healthy. Some that look about like anyone on the street. Some that look prematurely aged.

Some well known fasting advocates are long term morbidly obese.

Some vegans look kissed by angels…some look bats@#$&. :joy:

And lots of ketomombloggers who lost their way with sponsored posts and Quest bars.

(I guess the tldr; is I need to be my own guru, but not try to guru anyone else.)

(J) #14

My patients who are vegan are almost all either underweight or obese, with almost nothing in-between. It’s patently untrue that vegans are never fat. It’s rare to come across someone who is doing it in a healthy way. I refer almost all of them to a dietician to improve their nutrition profile.

(Ross) #15

I’ve seen similar myself.

The peculiar blue-green tinge I saw some vegan women take on was particularly disturbing. They didn’t wear it as well as the Orion women from Star Trek! :face_vomiting:

And yes, I’ve seen people on keto get themselves into trouble or run into similar roadblocks, particularly when they become fascinated with many of the new processed foods on the market labeled as “keto”. :roll_eyes:

(Bob M) #16

This is true, but my guess is that keto is way better for the general population than veganism. Case in point: protein. It’s relatively easy to get adequate protein with keto, but you’ll have to work a lot harder to get the same amount of protein for a vegan diet.

As for refined vegetable oils, that’s a trap I can see everyone (save the very low fat dieters, as I once was) falling into. And since they are in everything in the store, unless you make your own salad dressing and the like (as I do), you’re going to get some. Heck, I at keto for years before discovering PUFAs. (Still lost 40+ pounds even so.)

(Ross) #17

No argument. I’m not promoting veganism in any way shape or form. There are several orders of magnitude more failed and short term unhealthy vegans than long term apparently healthy vegans for good reason. Simply pointing out a potential benefit which we are not locked out from.

And note what I was saying about heated veg oils (PUFAs) WRT endothelial damage, IR and Nitric Oxide!

(Ross) #18

And to answer the “but I was fat as a vegan” and/or “I know fat vegans” anecdotes, various Loma Linda studies of long term vegans place the mean BMI of such vegans around 23.6, the lowest of all groups studied. Note that Keto was not a diet option in the study. This further supports my initial proposition that vegans tend to have similar body fat levels as ppl eating keto.

(Jack Bennett) #19

Like many of you, I did a tour as a vegan for about 2.5 years.

I did indeed drink a lot of green smoothies. I ate a lot of cashews and bananas.

I used it as a weight loss diet. It worked pretty well. I think it worked because so many foods contain eggs, dairy or other animal products that I was cut off from most fattening foods like baked goods or ice cream. (Except for the expensive and not-as-good versions from places like Whole Foods.)

Ultimately I lost too much muscle as well as fat. It wasn’t healthy for me. I regained a bunch of weight when I added back non-vegan foods. It was an interesting experiment but I wouldn’t do it again. If I did, I would need to add a lot more protein.

There is perfectly common sushi that is naturally vegan - but I saw people labeling themselves vegans and eating meat… And I thought that’s why people never understood that me being a vegetarian means I don’t eat meat despite it seemed simple enough to me. And I don’t even mean fish (even though it’s meat), they thought I eat chicken. Or meat soup without the meat.
It’s a huge chaos.
And I met zillion people who desperately tried to label themselves something they didn’t even try to be. Weird.

The vegans are saw were thin and weak or perfectly normal this far but I didn’t met many. I was amazed seeing the raw vegans (not personally but their mere existence and photos were amazing enough) as I never figured out how they didn’t starve to death… I loved some items of the raw vegan kitchen and it was very helpful to me as a keto newbie (even I can’t eat many carbs from vegetables if they are raw :D) but those were snacks and side dishes to me. “My whole family ate it for days” - yeah, sure, it was a single course of my lunch… And that person didn’t even ate a ton of sugar or lots of nuts if her words were true. But maybe most of us know those tales from diet food blogs where a little nothing satisfies someone’s huge, muscular, physical worker husband. Seems legit.