What I see everyday. Stroke, Dementia, heart disease

(Joe) #1

This is mostly a rant but bear with me its a long read which may shed some light on the dangers of the SAD diet you don’t see everyday. Strictly anecdotal but I don’t think many here will doubt my observations.

I post here often and some who read some of what I write may pick up on my reasons for changing the way I eat. Essentially it boils down to me wanting to live a long and healthy life (revolutionary I know). And after the birth of my daughter I feared at 33 years old I was well over half way done with at least the healthy portion of it as I was staring down the barrel of chronic illness.

I was able to come to this conclusion of my ultimate mortality because of my profession. I am an occupational therapist and I specialize is neurological rehabilitation. My job is to rehabilitate people who suffer strokes, brain injuries, spinal cord injuries etc. In a typical day I interact with 8-11 patients with 50% having had strokes.

I can tell you with almost certainty that diet is responsible for easily 75% of the stroke patients I see. I can dive into a medical chart and follow the history. 55 year old man history of HTN, hyperlipidemia, DMII, atherosclerosis. I can see the blood work going back years showing a pattern of pre-daibetes then diabetes, I can see that they a stent placed last year and they have been on statins since their 40s. On average these patients are taking a dozen medications to treat the above conditions yet they still had the stroke. In the rare case someone is not metabolically damaged you will see a “rotten luck” cause such a heart defect, aneurysm, or fibromuscular dysplasia. Smoking is obviously a common finding but rarely appears in isolation. And everyone not caused by a clear defect in the cardiovascular system beyond their control I would suggest almost 100% have metabolic damage.

Another note is the patients with metabolic comorbities are often far worse of than the “rotten luck” lot. Many have cognitive impairments I cannot typically attribute to the area of brain which was affected by the stroke. Often times their MRIs reveal chronic microischemia which implies he has been having many tiny strokse prior to the most debilitating stroke. Thus they were well on their way to vascular dementia anyhow even if they never had “the big one” They maybe 50 but the look 70.

Since the stroke didnt kill this 55 year old man but he is now disabled and unable to work. He has cognitive and physical impairments which will make him a burden to his family. He will be dependent on others, in pain from secondary neuromuscular impairments, unable to drive or hold an intellectual conversation. He will die with an empty bank account and splintered family. There will be no retirement parties, golf outings, great grandchildren, or vacations. After 55 years he will have next to nothing. You will not see him though unless he is your father or husband. He isnt walking around outside. He takes the mainstream bus doesn’t go to the store. He rarely leaves him home except for doctors appointments or family gatherings. He is forgotten by all except those who love him most who must see him a fraction of the person he was before.

However, he WILL still be on all those pills and some new ones. He will make many a doctor rich with his chronic conditions. Yet still after all that I will read in his neurology note that he was counselled to eat whole grains, 6 servings of fruits and vegetables and avoid fatty foods. Maybe they think they are doing the right thing… the patient, the doctor, the pharmacist. A year ago I would have thought the same but having dedicated countless hours to educating myself so I can live as long as possible I know better.

This is not sustainable. The broken bodies are piling up. The money is running out. The system is doomed to collapse. Eat this way to lose weight and just as he didn’t know he was killing himself you may not know all you will be gaining in future you have returned to yourself. Dont get caught up every carb, gram of protein, ketone reading. Do what you need to eat the best way you know how for your body. Do whatever it takes to keep in mind what you are giving up by not giving sugar.

Health and Love,
Joe

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #2

Thanks for taking the time to write that.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #3

That was touching. Thank you.

(the cheater) #4

Can confirm. Am nurse. :+1:

It’s unbelievable how people just assume degenerative diseases and death is the natural course of life. Of course we all must die, but people don’t realize how many years BEFORE you die you will live in misery and sickness when you don’t take care of yourself. Everyone says “YOLO,” I can eat what I want, smoke, etc., because you gotta die sometime, right? Well, fine: if that stroke kills you. But as you or I see everyday, heart attacks, stroke, diabetes - they rarely outright kill someone. Diabetes gets you by making your limbs garbage and eventually after countless progressive amputations, you die of sepsis from infection following some surgery.

Anyway, this was a great post. Thanks for writing it!

(MooBoom) #5

This hits home hard. A relative was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s today. He eats a ‘healthy’ SAD diet, always has done, and placed complete and utter trust in the advice of his health professionals. Closed ears and mind to low carb never mind healthy fat.
Breaks my heart. This happens too often.

(Joe) #6

So sorry to hear that. My uncle passed away last year at 64 and my aunt was diagnosed last year… Its happening younger and younger :disappointed_relieved:

(Edith) #7

Oh, why did I read this thread first this morning! :disappointed_relieved:

OTOH, thanks for the heartfelt insights. I see similar things happening with my father-in-law but can do nothing about it. Sigh.

You are always positive, i love your work
:laughing:

(Joe) #9

Yeh I was a little heated last night. Its frustrating not being able to share this information professionally with my patients as I’m neither a doctor or dietician. I’m always fantasizing about running into the physicians offices with a bag full of literature and telling them they are doing their jobs wrong. But anyone who works in the medical field knows that would be like the bellboy telling the hotel CEO how to run his business.

(Joe) #10

I’ve seen the same patient every year for 4 years in different settings. DMII, multiple CVA, ESRD on HD, spastic hemiplegia, relies on medical transport for every trip and arrives on a gurney. He is 62 and being kept alive with all these interventions but will never get any better. He will probably live another 10 years barring infection. I am all for life but I personally would rather be in prison.

The smart hotel CEO listens to the bellboy because that bellboy has a perspective that the CEO can’t possibly have.

Sadly too many people in leadership positions aren’t smart enough to do so.

(Jenny Talbert) #12

I’m a chiropractor and I see the same thing! I speak the truth to them about their diet is killing them and it is so hard for them to wrap their brains around eating fat instead of carbs. I love the online resources that are available and I have started to teach group classes but it is getting out of hand with the number of sick people or people on their way to becoming sick. Thank you for your post. It was well written and thoughtful.

(Sophie) #13

What I find interesting is that in the history of the world, people died of infectious diseases, but now, within the last half century, most people are dying of chronic diseases.

(Kee) #14

I am 70 yrs old. I want to get off Prozac which I started taking when my Father became ill in 2014 and died in 2015. I am doing Keto now, have lost 15 lbs in a month which for me is wonderful. Any suggestions?

(Cywgdave) #15

KCKO, if you are feeling better talk with your Dr. about stopping/tapering/reducing the prozac. Can’t remember but if you search on this site for it there is sure to be others with the same/similar questions.

(Cywgdave) #16

Timely post, I just listened to an interview with Gary Fettke on Ketogeek yesterday (I listened yesterday, it was posted about a week ago) He talked about this, the broken system and what’s happening.

To paraphrase (especially as I can’t remember exactly and don’t have the time right now to listen again), he says he and Belinda have decided to stop battling everything and just sit back and watch the train wreck unfold. They will continue to do what they can to help as many people as they can but have realized that trying to fix the system is essentially impossible, it will have to implode and then rebuild itself. He makes some pretty strong statements about Dr’s along the lines of Ken Berry, good Dr’s will go with the evidence and help patients even if it conflicts with guidelines, bad Dr’s will continue to follow the guidelines and as things play out the good Dr’s will eventually be viewed positively.

Not the greatest recollection but that’s the gist of one part of the interview.

Comments on the sickness management system start about 1:05:00 give or take.

Good interview, well worth listening to. Can skip about the first 8-11 minutes of fluff before getting to the Fettke interview.

Yup. My Type 2 Diabetes husband, in end stage renal failure, just had his second heart attack (shortly after his first amputation). In the hospital they put him on a diabetes diet. Then they put him on a kidney diet. Then a low sodium diet. They asked if he was following good diet. I felt like saying “Like what? The one you guys have been advocating? The ones that are killing him?”

(karen) #18

Mmm hmm. I’m visiting with my Mom. She had an issue with gallstones last month, so they took her off her statin (yay, finally), because it was ‘damaging her liver’. :roll_eyes: So her new medical advice is to go absolutely crazy with low cholesterol, low fat and low sodium (but of course keep eating lots of cereals and whole grains) to mitigate the ‘danger’ of removing the statin from her pill parade. So now she’s adding oatmeal and raisin bran to her oj, toast and pastry diet. She’s so confused and tired about all this advice. I feel terrible but I’m not here enough to step in and become a dietician, so her medical team will continue to make her life miserable as they shepherd her toward diabetes.

(Milton Alvis, MD) #19

As as physician for 38 yrs, cardiologist for 30, I have never seen anyone who has not improved their situation by adopting high fat, moderate protein and low carbohydrate.

It is important for people to understand that the medical industry in not about health: http://goo.gl/Blh6rW.

The primary drivers of atherosclerosis, as first published 08/01/1950 http://goo.gl/QMpZiI, have always been the fat carrying proteins, especially the fat delivery LDL-particles: Lower Density (than surrounding water), fat (Lipid in medical jargon) carrying protein particles (which typically transport 3,000-5,000 fat molecules per particle),
Be aware that LDL-C is NOT a measure of LDL particles. its is a number which is not measured from people’s blood sample. It is a guess, Friedewald equation, of how much cholesterol, a fat (made by every cell), is contained within all LDL particles within a 10th of a liter of blood plasma.
This LDL-C value correlates very poorly with actual LDL-particle concentrations, the value which has always most accurately correlated with rates of disease progression and cardiovascular event rates.

The HDL-particles: Higher Density (than surrounding water), fat (Lipid in medical jargon) carrying protein particles (which typically transport no fat, up to a few thousand fat molecules per particle, depending on size) and serve to remove fat molecules (such as in the walls of arteries) from cells overloaded with fats so that they do not die in place (resulting in atherosclerosis).

However, if HDL particles remain small, typical when eating low fat, high carb, HDL particles do not function well. Only the two largest of the 5 groups (by size, density) of HDL particles correlate with lower rates of cardiovascular disease events over time.

Another long promoted lie is that arteries narrow in response to atherosclerosis. Our arteries enlarge: http://goo.gl/xL1roN, http://goo.gl/aRhOU2 http://goo.gl/RgYv8w in compensation which is why, though atherosclerosis, as known from US autopsy studies, from the 1920s on, is typically present in over half the population well before age 10, remains without symptoms for decades until a plaque rupture suddenly shed debris into the blood leading to clots and obstructions downstream (too small to see by any current medical technology, called microvascular disease) and sometime large enough clots to see by angiography.

Because the disease in within the walls of arteries, both angiography &.especially ALL stress tests totally miss the problem until after complications of advanced disease.

Carbs mean sugar and all carbs are only absorbed after digested to no bigger than one or two sugar molecules.

Since, at any given moment, the entire blood stream only contains about a teaspoon of sugar, all excess coming in is rapidly removed by the liver cells, lesser amounts muscle cells, with both have limited capacity for short term storage as glycogen, a carbohydrate.

All excess glucose is converted by the liver into triglyceride fats for storage and shipped out to the body via the fat delivery particles: primarily VLDL & LDL, thus obesity.

After decades of challenges from daily sugar onslaught & rising insulin+amylin outputs to drive sugars into storage, sugar levels rise, eventually enough that the disease industry calls it Diabetes Mellitus, defined as a HbA1c of 6.5% of higher. Yet optimal cardiovascular health corresponds to a HbA1c of 5.0% or lower.

Cholesterol has NEVER been the correct issue, is made by EVERY animal cell https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholesterol but was promoted by the US government (about 2 decades after politicians sold US citizens on having taxpayers pay for medical services, a power grab for money & power) but then found that the costs (as always) grew far beyond “projections”, typical *.gov politician, bureaucrat & CBO BS.

I hope some of the above details will help some people understand some basics of physiology a bit better.

Milton Alvis
http://www.pureheartsmart.com

http://goo.gl/maps/frsO4

(Bella) #20

What if you are the family member who is looking after themselves?

I have seen men in my family drop dead with heart attacks, my mother with dementia, others with type 2 diabetes and the other health issues associated.

Myself and a brother are the only ones over the years to fight to keep healthy, with exercise and diet. I admit due to 2 years of depression I lapsed - hence why I am on keto now. I NEVER want to go back to how rotten I felt in those bad years.

My worry now is am I going to be the one to look after those that are sick?

Of course I love them with all my heart, but its already stated where either me or my brother are the ones being called out of work to hospital emergencies.
Yes, it could be me that needs care in the future for reasons out of my control. I accept that, and there is nothing special about me.

There is a small resentment building inside me, especially when they don’t want to hear good advice (you just can’t teach people), when I see how badly they eat and drink and their pathetic attempts to tempt me with this crap, the funny thing is their children - my nieces and nephews have healthier attitudes, picked up from school, the net and their friends. I’m one of only a couple of adults able to run around with them at family gatherings.

There is an unspoken bond, so I will be there for the kids as much as I fantasise about packing a bag and taking off far away.