What food caused you to loose the most control pre KETO?

conversationstarters

(traci simpson) #1

Someone mentioned that tortilla chips was a food that they had to eat the entire bag. What foods made you loose control and eat tons more than you should have?

1. brownies
  2. popcorn

I couldn’t eat just one brownie, especially if they were good and chewy. I could and still eat a medium to large popcorn.

(Brian) #2

Potato chips… I could go through a family sized bag in one sitting.
Potato salad… I could eat a quart at a time.
Cream filled donuts… at least 4, maybe 6 at a time.

I ain’t gonna lie, I still want 'em, sometimes badly. Can’t do it, though, and I won’t. But if you wanted to tempt me, those things would, big time. :frowning:

(traci simpson) #3

I found that I actually like Dill Pickle chips! I fortunately can only eat one or two donuts and hate creamy center foods LOL

(Todd Batitis) #4

Mine wasn’t specific foods but I could eat a ton of sweets like donuts and cookies and such. For me it was the flip flop of balancing tastes. Perfect example?

I would stop and get donuts for people at work on the way and get 4 for myself and eat them with a chocolate milk on the way to work…

Sweet handled… but now I want savory…

Swing into McDonald’s or Jack n the Box and get a full meal plus an extra sandwich and eat them on the same ride to work…

OK, Savory handled… but now I want sweet again…

Did I mention that my drive to work is all of 6 miles?

At work, eat 2 or 3 more donuts or maybe 2-3 giant cookies or muffins…

Sweet handled again… 2 hours later… Savory wanted…

Get a sub sandwich or maybe a Rueben from the machines along with some chips…

And the cycle repeats.

(Susan) #5

My favourite candies, when it was my birthday and also for Christmas I used to get a lot of boxes from my kids (they would buy me a couple each). I would eat all the boxes in a few days… I have told them all not to buy me any at all this year. I have told them I would love movie passes for my hubby and I to go to instead =).

During the rest of the year, my snack foods were cutting up 2-3 apples and having that with peanut butter, or wraps, with meat in them for snacks. I have never been big into baked goods (I love baking but never ate a lot of it myself).

(traci simpson) #6

Oh wow! that’s scary to even think about.

(traci simpson) #7

When we were little, my siblings and I would take small bites to see what was inside and leave them in the box if we didn’t like them!!! My Mom would get so pissed off.

(Susan) #8

I did that with boxes of chocolates when I was little too, my dad would end up eating all the chocolates I did that with, hehe. He had type two diabetes and died of a heart attack when he was 73.

The candies that I am addicted too (even though I do not eat them I have to acknowledge that they are an addiction) are these:

or these (basically the same thing but from two different companies):

These are my nemesis hehehe -but -considering I haven’t had sugar since February-- I hopefully would not be as into them now, but I have told the kids not to buy me any, so I hope they won’t.

Fast food of all types. I was so sick in the head with food addiction that anytime I drove anywhere I HAD to go through a drive through and get something. Pretty sad state of affairs.

Luckily over the last 10 years I have developed new, much healthier habits around food and eating :wink:

(traci simpson) #10

Eekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!

(traci simpson) #11

Does it seem like that was a different person? that YOU were a different person?

(Marianne) #12

Honestly, I do not mean to try to “top” any of the reports above, but this is what was true for me.

Although I had “favorite” foods, of course, I did not have any control pre-keto over my eating. The bingeing would start as soon as I was alone (home, car) and put something in my mouth. I didn’t normally eat breakfast, but when I came home from work at lunch, I’d eat 3-4 big pieces of pizza, chips and dip, sandwiches. - whatever I wanted - until it was time to go back to work. When I got home late afternoon, as soon as I took my coat off, I’d eat something out of stress (peanut butter out of the jar, ice cream, more pizza, leftover take-out, etc.), and I’d have a full out binge until I was stuffed and in a food coma. Then I’d lay down for a 2 hour “nap,” (checking out), get up, have “dinner,” (again, whatever and as much as I wanted), stop, and repeat a couple hours later before I went to bed. This went on since 2007, my last white knuckle conventional diet of any consequence.

“Food” was my trigger. Once I started, I could never manage what I ate or how much. That is why after this went on for years and years and took me to my highest weight and even worse health, I felt gutted and prayed for some “sign” to deliver me from the hell of food addiction. That is when I found keto, my miracle.

(Chris) #13

Probably cookies the worst. Or as mentioned, brownies. Possibly chips. Anything small - so easy to mindlessly shovel in cookie after cookie or chip after chip since they’re little.

Have same problem on keto…easy to way overeat almonds or cashews which are pretty calorie dense.

Did I hear someone mention portion control…? :slight_smile:

(traci simpson) #14

Oh my! I’m so glad you found this forum. What an amazing story.

(traci simpson) #15

I’m not sure portion control worked really. Even now, like you on KETO there are KETO sweeteners that I have to stay away from because instead of having one piece, I’d eat the entire thing until it was gone. Whether or not that took one day or two, I’d just keep eating it. I made KETO mousse for Thanksgiving and I was the only one that ate it so I had a lot left. Instead of eating the rest of it, I put it in the freezer.

(Susan) #16

Well done, Traci! This is awesome.

(Chris) #17

That wouldn’t work for me. I know how to open the freezer… :slight_smile:

(traci simpson) #18

LOL that was big for me!!! I love mousse and cool whip together.

(traci simpson) #19

OMG I hate those things which is surprising to me because I love gummy bears and the textures are similar.

(traci simpson) #20

Someone brought in brownies from Dominos pizza and it really caused me anxiety because that is my CRACK! I took one and took a bite and felt defeated and threw it away but I still caved.