What Food Cause You Weight Gain?

(Tracy) #1

I’ve been Keto for over a year now and it seems pretty obvious that two foods cause me to gain weight - nuts and heavy cream. I don’t understand how people can drink a cup of heavy whipping cream and get away with it. I even use 40% fat cream and have to limit myself to only a few tablespoons a day for my coffee. Does anyone else have foods that seem to effect their weight?

(Mary) #2

Yeah, those two can be hazards for a lot of us. If you (in general, not you in particular) can eat them, great, but if not, well…

Same here. If I eat nuts at all I gain weight. I also eat a lot of sweets with artificial sweeteners and they stall me. I have to be pretty strict with Keto if I want to lose weight.

Anything that makes me overeat…? It’s just about calories for me as far as I can tell after all the experience and experiments in the last decade.
My plan is still fat-loss now but my maintenance later should be similar.

I need to minimize added fat and cream. And of course, carbs aren’t my friends, I better forget vegetables and nuts. But a tiny amount can’t do harm.

It’s not the nuts themselves, I lost much weight eating 150g oily seeds every day but my daily energy need was way more then.

Satiation is highly important and different items have a different satiating effect on us, usually. I need a lot of food for being quite satiated all day and some items can’t satiate me well (like added fat and cream). Carbs used to make me way hungrier. So those are a bad idea as they make me overeat.

I probably can eat all the erythritol (or xylitol, actually) I want as long as the sweets don’t make me overeat being all tempting (I have an impressive dessert stomach). It’s safer to eat little sweets and not particularly fatty ones and not even every day… My sweets are usually very fatty, lots of extra calories easily. I mean, 500 kcal or more (I can’t imagine 1000 kcal would be a challenge, I just never make such a big dessert) and it’s only the dessert for one meal… I am not active enough for that.

I’ve read on this forum that bacon may be such a food too. Some people can eat a huge amount of it. Not me, fatty meat always worked quite well. My top satiating food, hands down.

So it’s quite individual. But sweeteners, nuts, lactose, fat bombs just because it’s keto and “we need to eat fat galore”, they are often the culprits.

(Bunny) #5

It usually has natural sugar (lactose) and possibly hidden added sugars in it also?

Most of your calories are supposed to come from dietary fat (70% to 80% that is not in volume or amount) on a ketogenic diet which is a very very tiny amount in contrast or percentage to protein and carbohydrates, now people think they can guzzle dietary fat by the gallons and wonder why they cannot burn body fat?

When we eat any kind of dietary fat the liver is going to oxidize it and turn it into ketones rather than using its own body fat?

Unless your thin and trying to maintain a certain body weight why would people eat so much dietary fat?

Some people need more calories, I don’t find it unusual. The average ketoer who eats lots of fatty protein anyway, a cup of heavy cream sounds way too much especially if they want to lose fat. But if they don’t need to lose fat and use up 5000 kcal a day? That’s another story. Or if someone is into the leanest meats. The fat needs to come from somewhere and there is a limit how much our body can provide. And some people even find cream satiating or if not, they don’t need that with their tiny appetite and hunger on keto.
But I understand it sounds strange as it is for me too. With my small energy need and easily too much fat from my protein sources… But we are different.

By the way, it’s perfectly fine to eat less than 70% fat, I am usually below on my proper days when I don’t eat too much. Percentages don’t matter anyway. But everyone should feel free to think otherwise. I won’t force my fat percentage (or grams) into some artifical range, that’s sure.

Nuts all day long. My only use for heavy cream is my coffee’s and while that’s a bunch a day it’s a tbsp each time. Anything can do it to you, too many have convinced themselves fat is somehow a freebie eating this way.

(Troy) #8

Nuts.

Along w weight that will creep up
It’s More of the fatigue that wipes me out

Always good, once we get to know our bodies :slightly_smiling_face:
A plus

For me, No why this or why that
I don’t why this is happening :weary:

No pity party
I ate them
So no excuses
Accountability