What fat content do you go for in ground beef?

(Erin Macfarland ) #21

Yum I’m gonna try it! Thanks!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #22

73% lean, and I add sweet Walla Walla onion bits partially carmelized in bacon nectar, too, about a tablespoon per pound. Eating hamburgers without carmelized onions is like leaving the house without underwear, it’s unpleasant does not yield the best results.

(Arlene) #23

Erin, We raise our own grass-fed meat, though not belted Galloway. The meat is outstanding in every way, but definitely leaner than grain-finished cattle. I always add tallow or lard to the pan when frying up a hamburger or steak. Yum

(Erin Macfarland ) #24

Awesome!

(Sophie) #25

We got spoiled here. I started buying a 2pk (5-6lbs) of the fattiest chuck roasts I could find at Sam’s and just grind them myself, so I have no idea but I know it’s really good! :cut_of_meat::cut_of_meat:

(jay) #26

@OldDoug

Yeah, i don’t imagine those giant fatty meat tubes are carefully hand ground and packed by a caring vegan butcher, more likely it is processed and extruded by a Mark-X10 mass meat confabulator. I think the poor machine’s calibrations are off though, I think that meat is more 60/40… But it makes a tasty burger, and is a great seared fatty meat filling in my favorite cheese omlets. Best of all did I mention how dang cheap it is?!!

(Jeremy Storie) #27

I need to invest in a grinder!

(jay) #28

@jamestorie
Your post kicked up old memories…As a kid i used to help my my mom work eggs into her ground meat for her meat loafs (and they were great as only momma’s cooking can be) , def got try that on my next batch of burgers. Thanks for the memories.

(James storie) #29

Your welcome! This is like meatloaf on steroids! :laughing:

(Chris W) #30

I tend to get ground beef in the fattiest proportion available. For burger patties, I make a very firm ball of meat, vacuum pack it, then press it into the shape of a patty after vacuum packed. I then cook these in the sous vide for several hours at about 132 F (55 C). I finish them quickly at high heat on the grill, in a cast iron pan, or drop them in my deep fryer (lard). This process leave nearly all of the fat in the burger patty rather than having it render off while cooking.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #31

My grocery store doesn’t sell any higher fat than 80/20. That’s what I go with.

(Elizabeth ) #32

I think the truck at my stores is about 85/15 or 8020, but I cook my very rare so almost none of the fat melts out of it

(SmirkyFacedWhore) #33

80/20 yum! I had no idea that you could add a bunch of eggs to soak up the fat. Very interesting! I’ll check that out for sure.

Take care, peoples!

70/30 coarse grind. My butcher grinds it specially for me cause apperently everybody else want lean mince.

Good… more fat for me :smiley:

(Carpe salata!) #35

We can get 70/30 at the supermarket. Its way cheaper and so much more tasty and filling.

I also like that egg idea!

(Chris) #36

81% is the fattiest Restaurant Depot sells near me. It’s actually good stuff. The key is to not cook past med at the most. Seems like it goes from succulent to saw dust in a 5 degree span

(Sophie) #37

I buy the fattiest chuck roasts I can find and grind my own, so I really have no idea, but I can tell ya my hamburger is awesome!

(Ron) #38

Grind my own with wild game meat and beef fat. I grind 60/40 and 50/50.

(Doug) #39

Dang, Ron, that’s gotta be some juicy stuff… :slightly_smiling_face:

(Ron) #40

It is filling. I use the 60/40 as patties and the 50/50 for taco/burrito/amd scrambled egg omelettes, etc. Yum!