What do you use your carb allowance on?

Hi Shinita. It’s all very individual what makes our bodies feel good. I upped my carb intake to 18 today and thoroughly enjoyed sliced cucumber with a mackarel I had fried in butter for lunch. The rest of my carb allowance went on a few nuts and strawberries and two squares of dark chocolate. I believe my daily chocolate ration adds to the quality of my life lol, well that and green tea. This way I can keep something of my old diet, as I was a mad green tea drinker and dark chocolate eater. Now I just enjoy both in moderation. But I thought meat and dairy such as cheese and cream hardly had any carbs at all? Primarily protein and fat. Today I feasted on chicken thighs for dinner and I didn’t bother having anything with them, they were delicious on their own. But on less lazy days I probably would have prepared something to go with it. I wish I could make a gravy as well as my partner, since I’m not very good at it I tend to omit the gravy. Bacon wrapped chicken provides plenty flavour and some brussels sprouts. Plenty of options. Anyway, food should be fun and enjoyable or it could impact on quality of life. Life is short enough that we don’t make ourselves eat things we don’t like, well luckily the keto WOE has so many delicious and nourishing foods🙂

(May the blessing of bacon be always with you) #22

You guys got me interested, so I browsed around the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Data Central site. Interestingly, the meats I looked at all said 0 g of carbohydrate per 100 g of meat, except for the cured ham entry. Unfortunately, it’s not clear whether they explicitly measured glycogen content or not. In the case of Vitamin C, the entries for meats always say “not measured,” but glycogen simply isn’t mentioned under the carbohydrates, even when there are sugars listed.

Oh I understand it very well :slight_smile: Only 5-6 years into low-carb I still needed pretty much carbs in my life to have enough food joy and nutrients too :slight_smile: Adding meat and losing interest in vegs was a game changer and I am glad I reached that but before I ate fruits and not very little vegs and oily seeds all the time.
I still have my carby times, it’s just occasional and most of it not exactly needed but I can handle it and it would be hard to avoid.
We humans aren’t just different, we are at very different parts on our journey. I am sure I will eat differently in 1-2 years. I only left high-carb about 12 years ago, I am still evolving :wink:

Normal meat has about zero, organ meat can be somewhat carby. Cheeses vary, many harder ones have none or almost none, others are a bit carbier.
Eggs have carbs.
It’s not hard to be around 20g carbs on carnivore, even without dairy but I only do that with dairy nowadays. As long as I keep my dairy lowish (and I usually should), my carbs are never too high for me. Maybe it’s okay with much dairy too but I have other reasons to be careful (too much fat). But I definitely need some dairy for variety especially the creamy ones, I don’t care very much about cheese, it’s nice sometimes but not as vital as some others.

I nearly always eat chicken thighs all alone - except some spices as the normal cheaper chicken and not the super fancy, many times more expensive one isn’t very tasty. I use nothing for turkey, just salt as I find it tasty enough.

The right answer, nuts and leafy greens.

The actual answer, the sweetener in my protein shake, blueberries, the end of a fajita my son left, a single haribo, a bite of a donut or half a cookie.

But don’t tell anyone! I’ll get kicked off the forum.

(Robin) #25

@Rusty Turn in your keto card right this minute, young man! :grin:

(Pete A) #26

Haha

Lol, thank you for sharing. Great post to remind us we are all only human🙂

(Pete A) #28

I do things that would get me kicked off this forum. Plus don’t need anyone to tell me its okay or not.

So I keep it to myself :speaking_head: :grinning: