What do you say when

Someone on a group you’re in (nothing to do with Keto) responds to your suggestion that they try the keto life with the fact that she had to stop it because she gained weight, got high cholesterol and got kidney stones. The question was, “How to avoid putting on weight every time they go on a cruise ship”
I have protected the identity of the other poster for obvious reasons. None of this group have any idea about LCHF and their suggestions ranged from working out like crazy in between cruises, to drinking cocktails and not eating much, as there is lots of fruit in them (I like the way she’s thinkin’, but no!) :joy::smile:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

Sometimes the only response is “good luck to you.”

As Dave Ramsey is occasionally fond of saying “those convinced against their will, are of the same opinion still.”

(Ben) #3

Unlikely to have been LCHF. A high protein diet might lead to kidney stones. Which might also explain the weight gain too.
It’s a shame if that’s the case and someone’s ignorance (of the difference between high protein and LCHF) kills the opportunity for everyone else in that group to learn about keto.

(Carol E. ) #4

They wrote that it “leveled out their sugars”. So, ask how their sugars are without low carb. :wink:

Thanks Ben and Carol. I did indeed take the opportunity to extoll the virtues of keto and I used what you said about the protein Ben. Her response was that she has been under the care of a nutritionist for 2 years, had kidney stones prior to going low carb, has lowered her protein and fat because “the fat” is causing her pain… and that she will be guided by her nutritionist as to what to do next… Anyway, if nothing else, many others read my post and it even got a couple of likes, plus someone else agreed and posted a link about LCHF, so that’s a win in my book! :ok_hand::+1:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #6

Well, that explains a lot…if she trusts her nutritionist, and her nutritionist is peddling the usual stuff, she’s going to experience a lot more pain before she’s through. :frowning:

(Karen Parrott) #7

Watching people struggle has been hard for me. I had no idea that this WOE would produce such a struggle of either saying something or staying quiet.

Great responses in this thread. I continue to learn “What to say and how to say it” to the SAD crowd. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I know. I just shake my head when people tell me that.
Personally, I was referred to a Dietitian. I went once. Never again! :speak_no_evil: