What did you take a photo of on your walk today? PART 2!

Yep, roses do that, I still have roses and other flowers, I wonder when it will be the end… Surely not before the frost.
My earliest flowers are crocuses, they theoretically could bloom in February I think but mine refuse to do that :slight_smile: It’s fine, of course - as long as they live. They tend to disappear. I have a few stubborn patches but the rest, the more interesting colors… I buy new ones every year. The other bulbs are fine but my black tulips lasted a single year. No idea why.

My chilis are still green (I have sweet and spicy ones as well, first time for me, I am so looking forward to them… but time is ticking). And the remaining tomatoes too (at least I had tomatoes already. I am waiting for my very first chili)… It wasn’t a nice autumn for them.

Well. My photos aren’t so good now, oh well. Some got blurry, I didn’t bring home, I can make proper photos tomorrow when there will be more light and I use the proper lens for these pics too. Well sunset has some special atmosphere and warm colors…

My flowers…

The biggest summer apple. It bloomed in the beginning of August, I think, after the fire and just yielding the proper amount of apples… So it’s special.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #647

First snow on the north shore mountains of Vancouver.

(Allie) #648

image image image

Seen on lunchtime walk last week.

(Butter Withaspoon) #649

Allie, are they Deathcaps? We have those around here- Canberra Australia.

On my walk today I found a eucalyptus tree with incredible colour. I made sure there is No Filter on this pic. Can you believe it!image image
Saw some yellow wild orchids as well

(Allie) #650

I don’t know Helen, but won’t be picking them to find out :joy:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #651

They might be either shaggy parasols (Chlorophyllum rhacodes) or false parasols (Chlorophyllum molybdites). Both are common in Europe, North America and elsewhere. The parasols are edible but the false parasols are not. Young specimens of both are nearly indistinquishable and the only definitive characteristic is a spore print. Either one could give you a bad stomach ache and/or nausea. In North America, east of the Rockies, either can be confused with Amanita thiersii. All amanitas are best left alone. Amanita muscaria (aka magic mushroom) grows commonly in Vancouver.

(Robin) #652

My morning walk partner, Paul Petersen. (He’s in denial about no trick-or-treating this year.)

(Jane) #653

Still have flowers blooming at the end of October. My white azalea bush is a re-bloomer - spring and fall

Not sure what this is called but pretty

Mums

Coleus

(Bacon for the Win) #654

new breed?

(Doug) #655

Nelle, that is genius. :smile:

#bestuseofoldmilkcan

Jane, that photograph of Coleus is a winner, and I mean a WINNER. Literally got chills and goosebumps.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #656

(Allie) #657

We walked from the car to the pet shop.

(Robin) #658

We did too! My little guy walks straight behind the register, sits and waits for his treat.

(Allie) #659

In the afternoon we walked from the car to the fishing shop to get maggots for the chooks.

(Robin) #660

@Shortstuff This is a first for me… purposefully purchasing maggots. Yech. But the pup makes up for it in cuteness.

You should raise some chickens, then. :wink:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #662

No photo, but a short story from my past life at Lake Laberge. We had chickens on the homestead, of course, and I think chickens must be among the most interesting animals on this planet. One day I heard a ruckus in the barnyard and walked around to see what was going on. One of the roosters was having a real conniption fit, jumping up and down, running to/fro, flapping his wings and squawking voraciously non-stop. Full flock protection mode. The target of this testosterone display was a bald eagle sitting calmly on top of a fence post. I suspect the eagle was pleasantly amused at the spectable playing out for his benefit. He flew off when I arrived, drifting slowly upwards on his 6 foot wings.

(Robin) #663

@Shortstuff @amwassil @dlc96_darren No maggots or chickens here, but we do live in an area where bald eagles nest. My husband is a photographer and spent hours camped below one nest this past summer. He got some fantastic shots.

(Allie) #664

Bald eagle is my spirit guide :grinning:

Swan rescue today.
Unplanned, but right place right time… no I didn’t take both pics myself :joy:

(Susan) #665

It is a beautiful swan; and lucky that Mum Allie came to the rescue! I hope that the rescue is a success =).