What did you shoot (photo) on your hike today?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #1

I see that the old thread was closed, because of loading issues, I can imagine that these threads, which are photo heavy, might need to be locked and archived pretty often.
If there is a current, unlocked one that I overlooked, I’m sorry. Please direct me there and delete this post.
Otherwise…
My GF and I had a fun little hike last evening, up near the Sierra summit on I 50 (Twin Bridges) which ended with a beautiful sunset :slight_smile: I LOVE this spot, as it looks so far out in the wilderness… yet in reality, it is quite easy, and close, to get back to your vehicle, which is why you can stay until its almost too dark to see :slight_smile:

BTW no, I didn’t shoot this with my cell phone :slight_smile: lol On the contrary, this was shot with my FF DSLR, and was actually stitched from four 7 shot HDR’s (28 shots)
Its kind of a shame how little detail can be seen in a tiny shot posted on the internet. This shot would be tack sharp printed to a 40" x 60"

(Susan) #2

This is a similar thread, Chris.

That picture is very cool, but looks more like a painting then a photo to me. I guess that is just how your specialized camera works =).

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

Great photo Chris, very impressive. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #4

Susan

This is HDR - High Dynamic Range which can be cartoon-like in an extreme.

@FishChris This is very nice.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #5

Well, it’s not so much the camera, as it is the HDR processing.
This actually looks a little heavy handed on my phone, but great on my 27" 4K PC monitor, as a desktop.

The other thing is, I usually wait for the most color I can get from a sunset… Or sunrise. And I get as much light as I need with my camera on a tripod, so my shutter can be open as long as it needs to be. In this shot (among the 28 shots I used for this) the longest exposures were 30 seconds.

(Susan) #6

@daddyoh and @FishChris

Ohhh, I see =). It looks very nice! I had no idea that you could make pictures like that with a camera until I saw this; but it is lovely =).

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #7

Thank you Susan :slight_smile: I like the photo threads.

(Central Florida Bob ) #8

Very pretty, Chris. Is that white patchy stuff on the right snow or different rocks? (on the ridge on the right)

I appreciate the work with the camera and what it takes to capture those colors.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #9

Thank you Bob. Just pale colored granite. Does look like snow though. Even in person, my GF asked the same thing…

(Central Florida Bob ) #10

Thanks. I don’t feel quite so doofus for asking if she was there and thought the same thing!

It probably helps my question that I have absolutely zero idea where that is. I know there has been snow in the Northwest, including Montana, and a few states up north but not much elsewhere in the country.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #11

It’s in Northern CA, about 85 miles East if Sacramento. It definitely gets a lot of snow up there… Elevation 7000 ft. And it even snowed a little already a couple weeks ago, but that melted quickly. Coming soon though. I think snow is nice to look at, and a little bit of it is good for photos… But I hate being in it ! Shorts and tank tops for me :slightly_smiling_face:

(Susan) #12

It seems funny that you can be in shorts and a tank top and yet take pictures of snow still, hehe.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #13

When you sad that, I flashed back on this shot I took earlier this year… I was sitting in bright sun, waiting for the clouds to get themselves in the best position… in shorts, and a T-shirt, and after about 20 minutes, I got uncomfortably warm, and had to go find a shade tree :slight_smile:

Oh and BTW, I do this to myself all the time… But after I posted the shot from a couple evenings ago, I started nitpicking it to the tenth degree, and ended up reworking it. I think it looks better now… but usually, the longer I look, the more I see, and want to change. My own worst critic sometimes, I guess :slight_smile: No matter what, it looks way overdone on my phone, but great on my PC desktop :slight_smile: