What did you learn today?

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #61

I learnt that scales really do not matter and your ‘weight’ is no indication of how fat you actually are, lol.

I gained and lost 8kg between Christmas Eve and New Years Day.
All water.
I’m shy 1kg of my 3 day fasting weight.
I’m gonna smash through that set weight point this month and never look back.

I also learnt, from you @juice, that I gotta fast if I wanna do that, lol!

(Running from stupidity) #62

I was probably quoting Jason :slight_smile:

(Karen) #63

Starvation… Yes that’s pretty much rings true. I watched my father starve himself, rather than face the inevitable pulmonary fibrosis and loss of lung function. He didn’t lose his ability to think clearly until very late. He was a fairly big man and eventually his skin was hanging in folds over his bones. It was painful to watch.

(Running from stupidity) #64

Oil hot enough for frying pork rinds takes forever to cool down.

As much as I tried to fight it, i really did, i’m becoming more and more like my mother…today I learned something very disturbing - this may not be such a bad thing :thinking::joy:

(Running from stupidity) #66

:wink:

(Karen) #67

Crush some of your pork rinds and re-fry them in a oil they are so crunchy delicious and are great on so many things.

(Karen) #68

Are you 27?

(mole person) #69

I have had no luck making decent pork rinds and was thinking of just throwing in the towel, but maybe you hold the secret. Could you tell me your method and how they turn out?

(Stephanie ) #70

Today I learned that some people will never change. I’ve learned that in my situation love isn’t enough :disappointed:.

35 :wink:

(Karen) #72

Actually, no one changes. Best look for those characteristics you like best first.
My favorites are:
Loyalty
Integrity
Kindness
Generosity
Continued interest in learning

My dearest has these in spades.

He is lacking in:
lightheartedness
sense of humor
Spontaneity
Social Awareness
Enjoyment of silliness

That’s what girlfriends are for. :grin:

(Stephanie ) #73

Very true, it’s the hidden characteristics that come out later down the road that suck. The ones they have hidden so well.

But I have also learned that I will be ok! I have amazing children, family and friends.

(Kirk) #74

The Okinawans recite a phrase before every meal: hara hachi bu. This reminds them to eat to 80 percent full rather than stuffing themselves to the point of bursting. Their smaller portion sizes remind us to be mindful when eating and pay attention to our bodies.

something I’ve read before. Got this text from www.bluezones.com

Unfortunately, people rarely change…

(Stephanie ) #76

Very true and this I have learned at a cost to myself.

(Laurie) #77

Definitely, make a list of what personal and lifestyle characteristics you want and don’t want. Maybe no prospect will score 100%, and you might have to tweak your list as you learn more.

I used to just go along with “he seems nice” without thinking about what I really wanted. I’ve had many relationships and wasted a great deal of time and been hurt a lot.

At age 63 I watched the following video and made a list. I met “Prince Charming” in a local cafe, but unfortunately after a few months he decided his family was more important and somehow I wouldn’t fit in. Then I tweaked my list to include things like “not close to family” and got together with my current sweetheart, who was a neighbor. He didn’t meet some of my criteria (e.g., he’s too young and smokes dope), but that’s okay. He’s super nice and super intelligent and quite silly, and we “get” each other.

You can weight the items in terms of importance if you like (e.g., maybe “honest” is more important than “not a dog owner”). Or keep it simple. Whatever works for you.

(Running from stupidity) #78

It was super basic - I trimmed the skin into strips, then cut the fat off (hold one end of the strip, use a SHARP knife to push AWAY from you at the skin/fat junction), then cut the skin up, dried it in the oven for a few hours, then heated the oil to about 200C in the dutch oven, then put the skin into it in batches for a minute or so then took them out and drained them and threw on a bit of salt.

I will look up the right way to do them later today.

That’s very … openminded of you.

(mole person) #79

I think my problem is I’ve been being too lazy about the drying stage. I’ll try a much longer dry next time. Thank you!

(Running from stupidity) #80

Yeah, it really helps.