What are your favorite Keto / Banting / LCHF Thanksgiving recipes?

(Ross) #1

Let’s share!

How do you cook your turkey? Do you brine it? Fast or slow oven?

Favorite stuffing or other side dishes?

How about pie? Do you take some holiday liberties?

Let’s hear it! :slight_smile:

(Ross) #2

I take some liberties and eat a bit off of the Orange and Light Red Banting lists (ranked “hardly ever”) on Thanksgiving. I figure once a year qualifies as “hardly ever” :wink: Also, I’m down around my target weight not not doing this for management of diabetes, cancer or dementia (at least not yet!). If I were I might think twice about this.

Lyonnaise Potatoes <<< These are fantastic when made with sweet potatoes as well as more standard potatoes. Tim Noakes people did some testing on white potatoes and found they caused no more insulin response (often less) than sweet potatoes. Cordain’s research that demonized white potatoes was performed on a specific hybrid used for fast food french fries. Real potatoes appear to be better than these McPotatoes.

These work well with or without the added sugar. I’d just skip it. No real need. It offers a nice spicy surprise at the holiday table!

BRUSSELS SPROUTS IN GARLIC BUTTER
So simple, good and high fat! :slight_smile:

(Ross) #3

If you brine your bird, to you tend to include the sugar in the brine mix?

(VLC.MD) #4

ButterBall turkey ? :+1:

(David) #5

I have used several traditional brine recipes and I just leave out the sugar. I have not had any complaints yet.

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

When you brine a bird, the sugar is in there to help it brown up nicely. A good rub with butter or olive oil will give you a nice brown without the sugar. I don’t brine often but when I do, I have never, even before keto/lchf, used sugar in the brine.

My husband has followed this method with great success. I am so proud of him, he has turned into a good cook and baker over the last few years.

(Blessed with butter ) #7

Can all you Keto people put your recipe here for Thanksgiving. This thread died in 2017 :frowning:

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

Will be doing green bean almadine for one of the veggies
Boil the green beans ahead of time it is easier and quicker.
Put 1T of EVOO and 1 T of butter in the pan
Add the sliced almonds (put the amount you prefer, some like 1/4 cup, I go for a 1/2 cup)
Add a shake of garlic powder, and brown up the almonds. When they are golden brown remove them and set aside.
Add the green beans, salt, pepper, more garlic powder, cook til hot. Now add back in the almonds, stir well and serve.

Another veg will be cauliflower mash, just make like your mashed potatoes only sub cauliflower, I find adding a bit of onion powder and garlic powder makes them taste more like traditional garlic potatoes.

This is a good replacement for pumpkin pie/or a cake, since it is a pumpkin cheesecake muffin recipe: