Weird nausea response

(MooBoom) #1

When I’m eating a very fatty food, even if I was initially really enjoying it and I found the smell appetizing- a few mouthfuls in I get this awful ‘ick’ taste in my mouth followed by a severe nauseous response to the point where I have to stop eating and try not to throw up. The food is not off or bad, but I can’t go near it ever again. Just the smell is enough to turn me green.

Pretty annoying when a person is trying to eat more fat! I actually love fat (mmmmm lovely lovely fat) and have no psychological repulsion to it, can’t figure out what the heck is going on. I’ve been this way since I was a little kid.

Foods that trigger me are any meat products with a substantial amount of fat i.e. chorizo or fatty sausages (unless the fat is totally rendered), pork/lamb chops (again unless the fat is totally rendered), and today’s discovery- keto pasta (made with eggs, cream cheese and psyllium powder) which I’d cooked then re-heated by frying in butter. I’m honestly gagging right now just thinking about it :nauseated_face:.

I’m a born and bred Aussie yet I can’t even be within sniffing distance of a Bunnings sausage sizzle without heaving. This is serious folks! :joy:

Does anyone else experience this or am I a lone weirdo? Has anyone got any tips to overcome this affliction?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

I get something like what you’re talking about when I’ve had enough. But it doesn’t put me off the food forever, which it seems is what you’re saying. That’s a shame.

I don’t have enough experience with keto to offer any advice, but you have all my sympathy (for what that’s worth). And I hope you can still eat bacon!

Seriously, though, I do wish I had something to offer. Your situation doesn’t sound fun.

(MooBoom) #3

Thanks for the sympathy Paul :smile: I spoke with my siblings after making this post and they are all the same. Perhaps it’s genetic? Or maybe we all had a really bad childhood family dinner that scarred us for life.

Yes I can still eat bacon! Lovely lovely bacon! Has to be crispy though :rofl:

Not quite the same but I cannot stand any visible fat on cooked meat. The gristle fat. Makes me want to gag. I would prefer to chew rubber bands. Always been this way. So are my mother and my grandfather was too

(MooBoom) #5

I would definitely agree with that! :nauseated_face:

(Carpe salata!) #6

Fry the edge of the steak in butter - hold the fatty edge down with tongs until the fat is all soft and melty… mmm

How long have you been keto? Maybe you are not yet fully adapted, and your body is telling you that you don’t yet have sufficient enzymes to handle the fat load you are at. I can easily eat super “rich” foods now that would have given me trouble pre-keto, or even in the first months.

Regardless, if you are physically rejecting certain foods, I would suggest eating leaner for a while or trying different foods for now. Eating should always give you pleasure. Listen to your body.

(MooBoom) #8

@koda Thanks for your advice- I will slowly slowly introduce fattier meats I think that’s key. Too much tips me over the edge. Yesterday I pushed myself and had lamb ribs for lunch with blue cheese sauce- I hovered on the verge of nausea but managed to push through. Mind over matter perhaps?

I’m only 10 weeks into Keto, but fat adapted pretty quickly.

(Vicky Jane Ockwell) #9

Me too. Has to be crispy!!

(Rob) #10

Isn’t the medical name for this JSS? Jack Sprat Syndrome… :grinning:

The opposite is not very common these days… JSWS - Jack Sprat’s Wife’s Syndrome.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Is it possible that your body was telling you that you’d given it enough at that point? It’s just that when I’ve reached satiety, the thought of more food right then makes me somewhat queasy.

(MooBoom) #12

It’s a different kind of repulsion to the ‘you’re full don’t eat another bite’ feeling. I’ve since encountered it with keto noodles fried in butter, so the repulsion is not isolated to animal fat alone.

I’ve been keto for months now and fortunately it doesn’t stop me from eating a wide and varied amount of healthful foods, and plenty of fat. Just fat I can handle! :blush:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

Ah, well, it was a thought. Sorry I don’t have anything more concrete to offer than best wishes. Will you take a hug in lieu of bacon? {{ }}

(MooBoom) #14

Haha always! Thanks Paul :blush:

(Ale) #15

Today I experienced something similar. I’m starting my third week on keto and woke up not wanting to eat any meat and felt tired in general. I went on with my morning till I felt a horrible gag sensation. The neighbour was making some grilled chicken (which I usually love) and it made me very nauseus. So today i’m thinking on just eating my veggies with some canned tuna, but i’m still worried about this new reaction. What is my body trying to tell me? Maybe it’s a bit silly but i’m new with this and honestly a bit scared now.

(Carl Keller) #16

One reaction is not necessarily a trend. Maybe you are coming down with something or your hormones are just taking a day off. See how you feel tomorrow and today, eat whatever keto things you feel you can handle. There are other fatty options if your apparent repulsion to chicken continues.

(Ale) #18

Today I feel better, still find the strong smells a bit icky, but not as much as yesterday. I hope it goes away soon!