Weight loss with an extended fast

(Anthony Mariapain) #1

Just finished the podcast on extended fasting…the 46 day fast.

What weight was lost? Bodyfat, muscle, water, etc? Do you workout during these lomg term fasts?

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #2

Bodyfat would be lost during an extended fast, that would be the whole point, our body fat feeding us, which is why we do not need to eat.

Water weight is typically the weight you lose when you first start Keto, when your glycogen stores are depleting. To store glycogen (carbs/sugar) we must store water too. So each time we eat carbs again, of course we will store water also in our fat cells.

Some people do work out but I haven’t had many convos with those people on this forum.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #3

You will loose all during an EF. The muscle loss will be very minimal though. Half if not most of the weight lost will be water and come right back on. So say you drop 5 pounds by the end of a 3 day fast, you can expect about 3 of it to come back on immediately. What you’ve actually lost is 2 pounds of almost all body fat.

Some people can lose more, some less.
Much of that depends on starting weight and how long you fast.

Yes, exercise can be done fasted. May want to ease into it to start. I did fine with exercise on a 40 hour fast, but when I did a 60 hour fast, I was very tired toward the end. I did break it knowing I had a run later in the day and wanted to make sure I had energy and enough time to digest my food (I need a good 8 hours between eating and running), but I ran fine up to that point.
I’m hoping to push it further next time.

Here’s the thread in which Ron tracked his progress.