Weight loss stall?

(Rob Kiefer) #1

I hope this is the right place to post my question. Bit about me. I’ve been strick low carb high fat for about 9 months. I’ve lost 60 lbs so far and have 49ish lbs to go. I’ve started riding my bicycle walking and swimming. But my weight loss has stalled. I’m wondering if I could be loosing fat and gaining muscle at the same time. I know I could lower the HWC I use in my fat coffee. But other than that I feel I’m following the program to the letter. Any ideas would be great.

Do you have the data from your weighings over the past mine months? It’s often helpful to see it on a graph.

(Rob Kiefer) #3

Yup it’s on my fitness pal. It was slow and steady.

I would love to see the science on this. However, it happens. It just happens. I have eaten the exact same foods and had the same levels of activity and some weeks 7 pounds are lost and others no weight is lost. I feel that my body just needs to hold onto weight for a while before it resumes dropping weight.

You can probably not worry about it and it will work out.

There are also strategies like fasting that might be right up your alley as you must be fat adapted. Perhaps a five-day fast will get things moving again if you think that your stall has been too long.

When I was actively losing weight, I ‘stalled’ at about 60 lbs lost because I was eating at a level too high for my ‘smaller’ body (it’s all relative). I had to cut calories (smaller portions) to continue losing.

Keep in mind that no matter what you eat, weight loss requires an energy (calorie) deficit. Your body won’t bother tapping into its fat stores if it can get what it needs from the food you consume.

(Omar Newsome) #6

One of the best tips I’ve gotten since getting involved in the community surrounding this WOE eating is, “your body is already high fat, so all you need is low carb.” Maybe remove some of the dietary fat from your diet. Overall I’d say stay the course. There are posts by some who stalled for up to 9 months. Weight loss is very rarely linear.

I don’t think this is accurate== weight loss and gain is a metabolic, hormonally driven process - not about calories in and out. Perhaps too much protein is leading to gluconeogenesis. Perhaps there is some other process going on - but I would not assume portion size of fat should be decreased.

(eat more) #8

how long have you been stalled?
have you adjusted your intake with weight loss?

(Rob Kiefer) #9

I am probably eating to much. I have been stalled for 6 weeks.