Weight lifting and fasting

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #1

I am starting to do weight lifting at home (I own some body pump material, and there are youtube videos for that).

I was interested about lift weights at the end of my 16h fasting period (time restricted eating). So, I do not have breakfast, I lift weights at around 12:15, I finish at 13:15, and we usually have lunch at around 14h.

Just when I finish the exercise (before lunch) I eat a 60% protein weider bar, with BCAA, and water with creatine and collagen. Maybe I will add omega 3 pills, too, which is recommended by DeLauer (but I will not eat glucose and fructose, as he argues).

I used to do a lot of body pump in the past. Of course, now I am older (45). What I notice is that the recovery, especially the next day, is quite heavy, much heavier than I used to. Again, it could be lack of proper training, age …

But could it be that lifting weights at the end of fasting increases the burden of the recovery?

Note: my goal is not to grow muscle (I used to gain quite a lot of muscle with body pump, which is quite unusual), but just to maintain, and especially, add on the longevity side (this is the reason to lift weights at the end of the fast, to increase the fast effects).

There are subforums for fasting and for exercise, but none to exercise during fasting, for this reason I post this thread in this generic subforum.

(Bob M) #2

I have often exercised (lifting to failure, HIIT) after fasting 32+ hours, with no issues. As far as whether this is good or bad, it’s tough to say. Lately, I’ve not been able to make it 32 hours fasting, so most of my workouts are on about 10+ hours fasting. It does not seem like there’s much if any difference.

I’ve also been trying targeted keto, where I eat a small amount of carbs the first meal after my workout. Say, a small sweet potato. That does seem to help mass and also a bit of recovery. However, I also “gained” a belly, but I’m doing other things and it’s not clear this is the cause. And, without a DEXA/DXA scan, I can’t really tell what’s going on (if I gain inches in muscle mass around my waist, and I’ve always had large muscles around my waist), without losing fat, then my belly would be more prominent.

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #3

Thank you for your explanation.

May I ask how is your recovery, with keto, in comparison to the recovery of lifting before you started keto?

(Bob M) #4

Not really. I’ve been low carb/keto since 1/1/14. I don’t remember what it was like then.

I do note that I actually get great workouts after fasting 36 hours. I personally do not have any energy loss.

Since I’ve been keto for so long, my body is used to this type of exercise. I lift (body weight) to failure, and have been doing so for a long time now. Just got up to 30 pushups in a row, so I had to go to one-armed style pushups, do those to failure, then do regular pushups.

I am gaining muscle slowly, but I’m also 55 and well past my prime. Had DEXA scans over a year, and gained about 4 pounds of muscle and lost about 6 pounds of fat. More muscular and stronger now, but I can’t afford DEXA scans ($150/each) any more.

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #5

That’s great!

Myself, I do body pump, but also I try to exercise in a way that when I finish a series, I am going to fail.

I could not do weights without music and a choreography.

Let us see, the most likely scenario is the recovery taking 2 days is more due to my age and lack of training in recent times, than to keto.

You say you’re lifting to maintain, not gain right? Dump the 60% bars then. Those are for people putting on mass. You look at the label? Those bars are meals by themselves. Are you also adding BCAAs on top of the bar? If so that’s complete overkill man. If you’re not tracking what you’re eating, then start. Taking excessive supps and contemplating more can only waste your money if you don’t need them. Most people don’t get enough Omega’s with diet so that’s probably a good move to add them but why not see what your diet is actually providing you?

Don’t be afraid of post workout glucose assuming that’s what DeLauer is talking about. It makes a big difference in recovery and it seems you’re having so issues there. You’re not going to screw yourself up unless you overdo it. Most people do 20-30g post without issue, even keto people. Many people do it pre workout for the energy by post drives the crap into your muscles better. There’s a lot of bad bro-science out there, but that one makes a very noticeable difference. If your lunch was a super fat filled thing I wouldn’t do it then, but otherwise give it a shot.

Most likely, good things from fasting aside your body thinks you’re too stupid to find food, it’s trying to survive and in a state of stress. Now your exerting yourself and causing muscle damage that it needs to repair and it needs those building blocks faster than you can eat them AND metabolize it so it’s available to use. I used to do week long fasts regularly and lifted as normal. I also still had good workouts but without question I had BETTER workouts and VERY noticeable recovery improvements when I wasn’t fasting and when protein was surrounding my workouts.

(charlie3) #7

After 2 years my fat adaption is still improving. At this point carbs don’t matter. Lately my menu includes a big non starchy vegetable salad for 12 days. When the veggies run out I’ll be carnivore for a week. I can’t tell the difference between 50 or 16 grams net carbs. Regardless of meal timing I follow every exercise session with a meal. Generally i don’t start eating until late morning then eat a second meal as soon after the first as possible. I might suppliment with a couple of micro nutrients as needed but otherwise it’s strictly whole food. I don’t get outside that box because I believe there’s no benefit in the long run and it’s all about the long run for me. I do 2 hours of exercise activity daily, mostly low heart rate training including 90 minutes a week of resistance training, high reps close to failure, all at home. I’ve been increasing muscle mass, slowly. Generally I want to be fit as possible with no health compromise and look the part. I’m 71. If this time was 150 years ago men my age in my condition would be a common sight. We complained about spending many billions on health care. Thanks to the virus and terrible health it’s trillions. Will things finally change?

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #8

I have written a reply in another thread which is quite related to this one: