Week 1 struggles

newbies

(J) #1

So I know there are so many different ideas about measuring ketones and the effectiveness . But I’m getting mild keto readings with blood 0.6/0.7 but optimal keto levels with urine strips (3-4).

I already had a meter that has ketone strips available so I got blood strips and urine strips. My idea was to test daily until I reach Ketosis then just check in.

My issue is that my keto blood reading have been at .6/.7 since day 3. Additionally before I knew keto was a thing several years ago I went a week with only eating meat and cheese (testing insulin resistance- PCOS). At that time I lost 10lbs in a week. I’ve lost 5 this week so I feel like the low-ish keto readings may be a sign of less optimal spea.

I’ve been keeping to a strict diet with under carbs under 20g. But my ketone level won’t budge.

Is it possible I’m not eating enough? Or does anyone have an idea?

(Allie) #2

There’s no need to chase numbers but the blood readings you’re getting are perfectly acceptable so please try to stop worrying and just let keto do it’s thing.

(Nummy) #3

the readings in your urine are ketones that your losing. idk if they die off or how that works but that number can change depending on how much you are drinking through out the day. sounds like your doing well so I wouldn’t worry about it.

(Running from stupidity) #4

The best way to stop worrying about ketone readings is to not take them.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #5

Blood meters measure the amount of ketones in your blood.
Urine strips test for wasted ketones through urine.

So this basically tells me;

You’re making ketones
Your body isn’t entirely sure how to use them for fuel yet
You are not yet fat adapted.
You are in week 1 of keto.

You are chasing numbers which do not matter. As long as you are in ketosis, that is all that matters.
Prepare to stall in the next few weeks.
A true beginner would stall, see those numbers and begin changing everything about their diet when they have been doing everything right to begin with.

Keep going and don’t change anything, results will come.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #6

Don’t worry about the urine strips - they are not accurate. And, you may or may not stall. Everyone is different.

(Candy Lind) #7

Another way we say this is “KCKO.”

(Running from stupidity) #8

Katie’s way is less of a bad meme, though :slight_smile: