Week 1 of keto - so hungry and thirsty - any tips?!

(Nikki Rejman) #14

So the more fat I eat the better? Even if I’m going over my calorie maintenance?

(Alec) #15

It’s not quite the more the better, it is eat fat if you are hungry. When you are no longer hungry, stop eating fat. Don’t worry about calories right now. You need to eat, and not feel hungry. The 3rd keto rule is eat fat to satiety.

(Laura) #16

What is nupasta

(Nikki Rejman) #17

A brand of pasta made from konjac plant! Nupasta is just what it’s called in Canada

(Jane) #18

H[quote=“Leon_Espanol, post:12, topic:49676”]
The weird thing is everyone here talk about energy (wich dropped), and I’m still sleepy during the day… .
[/quote]

The first couple of weeks can be rough. Drinking the ketoaid will help and even though you salt your food you may need more.

The energy boost comes after you are fat-adapted and your body has converted over from running on carbs to running on fat. That takes anywhere from 6 weeks to several months - everyone is different. If you have done a lot of yo-yo dieting it make take awhile to repair the damage you have done to your metabolism.

For now, eat and don’t be hungry and fahgettabout the scale. This WOE heals you and the weight loss will come naturally if you stick with the < 20 carbs and don’t overdo the protein. You will stall. You may lose inches when the scale doesn’t budge.

We call the scale “the lying liar who lies”.

(Nikki Rejman) #19

I just googled the recipe for ketoaid… do I need to have lite salt or can I use normal sea salt, I live in Canada and I’m pretty sure we don’t have mortons lite salt

(Bacon4Lyf) #20

People use lite-salt for the potassium. Sea salt has only trace amounts of potassium. I’m not in Canada but I googled ‘lite-salt in Canada’ and found that it’s called nu-salt or half-salt, and can be found at local independent grocers, with the other salts and spices. I don’t know if online is available to you but Amazon has it. Or this one https://www.lowcarbcanada.ca/products/nusalt-salt-substitute-3-oz.

I live in Canada and found NoSalt at save-on-foods. It did take me a few stores to find it though. I was surprised our Superstore here didnt sell any versions.

(Diane) #22

Be aware that lite salt and no salt are slightly different. Lite salt is half sodium and half potassium. No salt is all potassium (I believe- check the label). If it’s all potassium, you would need to use half the amount of No Salt as you would Lite Salt.

I believe you are right. I didn’t buy the half salt or litesalt because it had sucrose or something weird in it.

(Nikki Rejman) #24

I managed to find no-salt which is half sodium half potassium … how many times a day should I drink ketoaid?

(Nikki Rejman) #25

How many times a day would you recommend drinking ketoaid

(Nikki Rejman) #26

I just found no salt today at zehrs!

(Christopher Bonci) #27

I usually make up a batch and drink it throughout the day when i am thirsty. Its just a good way to add electrolytes to your water. Make some up and try it and see how you feel. I would usually make a bout a liter and a half with sea salt and potassium salt and some lemon juice in it and that’s pretty good for me on a day i don’t work out. Its all going to depend on your size and how active you are so it is going to be tough for someone to tell you how much and how often to drink.

(Bacon4Lyf) #28

Brenda’s recipe that Ellen linked is a great resource :blush: KetoAide homemade

(Diane) #29

I drink 2 to 3 liters most days. I’m pretty sedentary. If you’re more active or outside a lot in the heat, you may well need more.

(Jane) #30

Until you feel better!

Not being snarky, but I would drink at least 3-4 a day until you start to feel better. As long as you can handle the mag citrate w/o running to the toilet.

(Jane) #31

Believe it or not but a few pink rock salt crystals under your tongue can also help with hunger, headaches, etc.

I mention this because the only time I feel real hunger or get headaches is after a couple of days of water fasting and the salt crystals help.

Now that I am fat adapted I have lots of energy, feel great most of the time and my hunger pangs are very mild and easy to ignore if I choose to skip a meal.

You are weeks away from that, but you will get there if you stick it out and don’t give up!

For me, apple cider vinegar with the mother culture has been very helpful for hunger. I take about 1-2 tablespoons a day. It can harm tooth enamel if it comes in contact with the teeth, but that’s the only negative side effect I know of. Good luck!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #33

Don’t brush your teeth afterwards - just gargle with water.