We Surveyed People on the Keto Diet

Never had a CGM, but when my wife was diagnosed a T2D and they were cool with fruit (I was already eating keto then) I went on a rampage and started eating more of it and trying to show her that fruit was terrible, long story short even what I considered to be candy, like bananas didn’t really do much that I could prove. It’s been a while and I don’t remember the specific numbers as it was years ago but I want to say I couldn’t cause more of a rise than 25 or so from eating 2 bananas. I’m not huge with fruit to begin with but even since upping it a little and her eating a ton of it our A1C’s don’t seem to reflect any real difference. For us at least, seems that the fruit based and starchy carbs do very little to us. The sugary stuff send us both into carb binges and feeling like garbage.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

Dr. Lustig believes that the fibre in most fruit is sufficient to keep the release of fructose to a rate that the liver can handle, which minimises or prevent the potential bad effects. I suspect that here, again, there is plenty of individual variation.

Gary Taubes tells of a case study published by the corporate physician at Dupont during the 1950’s and 1960’s. He had great success getting workers and executives to lose weight by putting them on a low-carbohydrate diet. In this particular case study, the executive in question was so sensitive to carbohydrate that even an extra apple would cause him to put on fat. You and your wife appear to be at the other end of the spectrum. I suspect that most of us fall somewhere in between.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #23

Got straw?

(Bunny) #24

Got Starch?

Really, try eating some veggies with no meat more often you’ll live longer, does the body good!

(Scott) #25

I eat all meat with no veggies to live longer. Different strokes for different folks.

(Tracy) #27

My food bill went down because I don’t eat out any more.