Wanted to spitball some ideas here

conversationstarters

(Chris) #1

So I have asked a ton of questions on here and gotten awesome feedback I appreciateeit greatly. I’m learning alot and I love keto. I wanted to spit ball 2 ideas I have and I want honest to God answers. If they are dumb tell me I’m an idiot I’m a big boy Haha.

1. Starting a YouTube or vlog ish type of weekly content documenting my progress and struggles and ups and downs and what I’m learning. I’d do this for my own self since I cant talk about this with really anyone I know. Also to possibly help other people. My hesitations are YouTube is already saturated with so many keto videos maybe its just not worth it.

2. Found a nutrition diploma in my city. 5 months and I get a diploma on nutrition. Then I would start my own consultation directly for keto. I searched and there ismt one doctor or nutritionist specializing or even doing keto where I live. I think I could make money and help lots of.people. My question is without a full degree (which I dont even want because I’d just learn the bullshit brainwashing for 4 years and waste 100k) with just a diploma would people trust and still want that kind of professional help?

Thanks in advance for replies

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

I like the idea of #1 for sure :slightly_smiling_face:
It’s always a great idea to document your journey.
Also, assuming there aren’t any other legal mandates or issues, #2 shuns good too. I think that if you go for #2 you should do #1, as it might help build some credibility. :slightly_smiling_face:

Good luck with both!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Check with your state licensing authority about requirements for practicing in nutrition. You need to know what your legal position is, regardless of whether you decide to get licensed, or not. Depending on how the licensing works and how vigilant the authorities enforce the statute, being licensed can give you a bit of extra credibility. For some people, therefore, not having a license can be a deal-breaker. (For example, if you want a real massage, not merely a sexual experience, you go to a licensed massage therapist, not the massage parlor down the street.) A drawback might be, however, that if you get licensed, the licensing board might expect/require you to hand out standard advice or fine you for non-compliance.

I’m not saying don’t do it, just to look before you leap. It would be great to have another keto nutritionist out there.

As for keeping a vlog, it’s a lot of work, but it can be very enjoyable if you’re into it. Good luck! My only advice would be to keep the science as rigorous as you can, and to provide links to published studies when possible. (Personally, I get really turned off the moment I hear an ignorant statement about keto, and I’m particularly allergic to “bro” science.)

(Scott) #4

Helping people is great but I see a problem on the making money part. There is a ton of information on YouTube on keto and I felt very comfortable educating myself (lots of books read too). In my opinion keto is free for the taking and no add ons are required. There are some that may make a few dollars on keto but I don’t think I have seen any quit their day jobs.

(Laurie) #5

Since you’re interested in doing keto consultations locally, your city could be what makes you unique on YouTube. Something like “Living Keto in Tuscaloosa.”

I’m sure you can come up with a better name. Do a search for how to choose the best name for your channel.

Your channel could feature local shopping finds and challenges, local meat-ups (possibly organized by you), you and friends enjoying keto food at local events or the weekly market, bookstores that sell keto books, books available at the local library, struggles to get keto items in your college or school for yourself or your child, shout-outs to local fast food places or restaurants who are happy to accommodate your requests.

Person-in-the-street interviews or focus groups, discussing keto awareness or whether your town is ready for keto.

Look up some production tips, e.g., how long each shot should be, use of music, settings, humor, etc., as well as openings, closings, and transitions.

Lots of people have short attention spans, so it might be good to keep each video short (5 minutes?). They’d rather watch 6 short videos on your channel than one long one.

Making short videos will be easier for you too. And it will keep things fresh, as you can offer new videos more often.

Let viewers know you’re pursuing a certificate, and that you intend to do keto counseling. Keep viewers updated on your progress: You have an exam this Friday, you’re excited because your teacher let you do an essay on keto, etc. Be careful not to bash the course though.

You can also briefly mention little bits about your future counseling service, e.g., you’ve already hired someone to set up your website. Or a before-and-after of how you’re turning a room into an office.

Good luck!

(Laurie) #6

Scott has a point about the information being free. But the vlog and the certificate could be part of a journey toward something other than personal counseling, e.g., keto walking tours for tourists or locals, or keto catering. Or the OP could get into consulting for local food outlets or B&Bs.

The sky’s the limit as far as spinoff ideas are concerned.

And I think some people will still want a personal guide, whether or not they’ve already informed themselves through other means.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

My big production tip—use less music than you think necessary. Especially do not overlay music on dialgue, especially not key points you want to get through to your audience. The BBC is not too bad, but I have had to stop watching many American science documentary videos, because the music never stopped, even during the science. When the music drowns out the speaker, you know you’re really doing it wrong.

(Chris) #8

Yes I checked and as a dietitian there is lots of rules and legalities which is exactly why I want tk avoid it they would never allow a keto dietitian. But as a nutrition consultant legally I can do whatever I wish as long as I am nkt giving medical advice. Which must plan is to find a doctor to partner with that I can send the people to

Ans yes I’m pro science Haha but what is bro science? I like tjat term haha

(Chris) #9

Agreed but I figure majority if population doesnt actually want to. And for myself I spent a year going through this stuff cuz there are so so many different views. So having one person to guide you I believe is worth money

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

You find a lot of it on bodybuilding sites. It is usually plausible, but when you think about it a bit, you realize it’s probably wrong.

(Chris) #11

Honestly love these ideas! Cuts the amount of viewers to just my city (small city by any measure) but it supports both areas of my life. And your ideas are excellent thanks I’m going to write them dow

(Chris) #12

Examples?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

I’ll have to look around a bit. If you don’t hear from me by the week after Ketofest, PM me with a reminder.

(Chris) #14

You seem to have a good idsa of this stuff. What about a keto channel for myself and then there is different “segments” one being local stuff? Or would it be better to just create an entire local channel for better search results?

(Laurie) #15

You can have it mostly about you, with special local segments. Say you have a 5-minute video. It could be 4 minutes of you, then 30 seconds each of two local things: maybe one where you talk about a local discovery or experience, and one where you actually go to a restaurant or library, etc. (even if you’re just standing outside). Or here’s you barbecuing keto stuff in the yard or trying a recipe in your kitchen.

I think there’s a lot to producing a decent video. Watch lots of stuff and keep an eye out for how they do it. Some cool things will be beyond your means or capabilities, but just one or two good ideas can take you far.

Look at the phenomenal success of the Minh Piano channel, recently renamed Haburu. A guy plays piano while his cat (Haburu) sleeps in the piano. No one would watch it if it was just the piano or the cat.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

Look at the videos filmed and produced by Brady Haran, especially the ones he does for Nottingham University. Tom Scott also has advice in a number of videos, and his buddy Matt is a professional sound engineer who also talks about the equipment they use to produce the videos they do together. For production values check out “Veritasium”, by Derek Muller, “Smarter Every Day” by Destin Sandlin, and the various projects that Hank and John Green do, together and separately. For ways to waste your viewer’s time, check out “Good Mythical Morning”—it’s not that Rhett and Link have nothing to say, but they generally spend a great deal of time schmoozing rather than presenting substance. The others generally make every second of their videos count.