Vitamin D & COVID 19 RCT

(GINA ) #21

My local news had a story on covid and vitamin d today. Not much detail, but it is something.

https://www.ksbw.com/article/health-experts-say-more-evidence-showing-vitamin-d-important-to-surviving-covid-19-coronvirus-infection/34018116

That’s interesting Helen, I’ll see if I can post the video.

My understanding is that UVB wavelengths are required to convert Vitamin D to its active state in the skin. That would mean getting a 20 minute sunshine dose closer to the middle of the day when one is taller than the length of the shadow they cast.

• Time of day: UV rays are strongest between 10 am and 4 pm .

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/radiation-exposure/uv-radiation.html

He has an important and helpful message.

I like the way Dr. Campbell goes through the information

(Butter Withaspoon) #24

It you watch Paul Mason video from around 18 minutes, he suggests morning and evening are better for optimising ratio of UVA to UVB. Nitrous oxide is an important factor. My explanation wouldn’t be as good as Paul’s with graphics and refs.

He is Australian. And with that comes a fear of the sun generated by rising skin cancer rates in Australia since the 1980’s.

I wonder if that rising cancer rate (via sun damaged skin) might be more to do with increased processed industrial seed oils in the diet, rather than exposure to radiation?

For a time there as well, there was a massive hole in the ozone layer above southern Australia that let a bit more UVs in.

The other nuance is the sunburn resistance experienced by people on a low carb healthy fats way of eating. I have personally experienced that.

Where I am getting to is that I think in the context of COVID19 the Vitamin D production is optimised by being in the sunshine in the middle of the day with no sunscreen to get a dose of the UVB radiation.
Dr. Campbell suggested a time of around 20 minutes and mentioned an equivalency in terms of a Vitamin D dose.

The parameters on that is be out in the sunshine but not long enough to get burned. If you are eating LCHF (especially no seed oils LCHF) then that time may be extended before any pinking up. The other thing is wear a hat. Especially in Australia, our faces are so sun damaged already. Nobody has a complexion like Kate Winslet. Get the sun on the more expansive and less damaged surface areas of your body. The least tanned bits are the highest efficiency areas to create vitamin D.

@FrankoBear
It could also be the higher amounts of air pollution causing ozone holes and then we’re burning due to a lack of the ozone filter. I’ve noticed this year in Canada that I didn’t burn at all while spending whole days out in the Sun.

The following article indicates that the ozone hole in North America closed but not due to coronavirus reducing air pollution. I find it hard to believe.

(Butter Withaspoon) #27

Yeah but his whole video is a critique of the Australian fear of the sun, and a recommendation to get MORE sun exposure for Vitamin D, nitrous oxide. We must be confusing each other :slight_smile:
Anyway- I wear a hat and get sun on my torso and thighs. So we are on the same sunny track of what to do :):blush:
PS I have managed a quote and found italics, I am nailing this forum thing! How good are all the little badges!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

I find that I burn a lot less readily on a low-carb/keto diet. It probably helps not to worry about cholesterol, since it is the precursor to vitamin D (as well as a lot of other important hormones).

(Butter Withaspoon) #29

PaulL do you know if that is a general finding? As a fair skinned person in a very sunny climate I’ve always struggled with the sun. I could never make myself wear a daily face moisturiser with SPF as many (?most) women seem to do. I’ll wear a big hat instead. My face seems to react to sunscreens as well; I feel and look more burnt when I wear it than when I don’t.

My vit D levels are much better these days since I changed my exposure to deliberate sun on torso when the conditions are right. And I seem to have very strong bones ligaments and tendons!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #30

I don’t know if it’s general, but I can tell you that, after three years of ketogenic eating, I can spend four hours mowing the lawn with my shirt off without turning red. My left arm no longer burns, either, from driving. My genetics are wholly British, so far as I know: a mix of English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, and Cornish. As much as I would like to claim some African or Native American ancestry, I don’t believe I can.

By contrast, the last time I was out in the sun as a carb-burner, sun block with 150 SPF let me burn within half an hour to an hour, if memory serves. In my twenties, SPF 30 was enough to protect me all day, but I gradually had to keep increasing the SPF.

I suspect that there is a high degree of individual variation in this matter.

closed #31