Vitamin C Serums?

Since greatly improving my health through Keto, I’m mostly carnivore. I’m now on the journey to improve my skin and completion (face)
Being 61 now it may be too late to correct some things? But I’m giving it a go, learning new skin care things. Like scrubs are majorly bad for older skin…oops been doing that forever :woman_shrugging:t2:. You are probably wondering why I’m 61 and just researching now? Well my life has slowed down, grown kids, retirement, less responsibilities. Just relaxing in my older years and enjoying life so much more.
So I’ve got a few age spots of course, I’m 61. Would like to fade those down a bit. It’s impossible for me to not be in the sun. I’m a lotus/water plants/cactus/succulent plant gardener. Most gardeners play in the dirt, I play in the water and sand :joy:. I do wear a hat tho
I’m out in it every day, sometimes all day except for winter of course. I don’t use sunscreen, just a preference due to things I’ve read on it. I prefer organic and natural things. But not completely as some things just can’t be avoided …prescription medication
I was reading about vitamin C serums fading age spots.
Has anyone tried or is using these? Do they fade them successfully?

(Bacon by any other name would taste just as great.) #2

My age spots went away a few months after I started eating keto, and they stay away, as long as I stay off the carbohydrate. I also find that I can stay out much longer in the sun now, even without sunscreen, whereas during my carb-burning days, a half-hour in the sun with SPF 70 was enough to cause me to burn.

Never heard that about vitamin C helping with age spots, but give it a try. Perhaps someone on the forums has tried it and will share their experience. As I mentioned, my age spots just went away by themselves.

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

I think the Vit, C serums are for prevention. Not lightening the spots.

I tried a couple of lighteners, and they were too harsh for my skin. So I just live with them. I haven’t noticed any increases since starting keto almost 4 yrs. ago, but they did not go away some are lighter, but they are still there.

That’s wonderful! I wish mine had went away :confused:
I’m past 2 years on Keto and mine are still there. They do however seem to be lighter? But I think it’s because it’s winter and I’m in less sunlight.

Thank you for your response :blush:
That’s not what I’ve read looking at the vitamin C serums. The vitamin C serums were actually recommended to me to try by someone. Through my research they are mostly used for the fading of dark spots on the face and evening skin tone. I do know from looking them up, some do have anti-aging ingredients added to the vitamin C serum. But the vitamin C does fade the spots according to the pages and videos I’ve watched. Sun screens to my knowledge and staying out of the sun is the only preventative for age spots I know of?
I totally understand about the fade creams. I also can not use those fade creams. Tried years ago when I noticed my first age spot. I got the worst rash from the fade creams.
I was hoping someone here was using one of the vitamin C serum. So I could see if they are actually with trying.

(Bob M) #6

It’s ok, I’ve been keto/low carb since 1/1/14, and still have two prominent spots.

Could you point to a vitamin C serum you’re considering? And how long do they take?

(Karen) #7

I remember trying a vit c serum once and it didn’t do anything more tham any other serums I have tried. I don’t think I bought it especially for age spots as I maybe only had one at the time. No difference with that one! I tend not to let my face catch too much sun and I protect my skin with spf.as I don’t want to risk skin cancer. Have a try with bio oil. That reduces the appearance of scars so it may help with age spots.

(Bob M) #8

I should note that I tried magnesium oil on my spots for a while…didn’t notice a benefit. Though perhaps I did not do this long enough.

I haven’t chosen a vitamin C serum as of yet. Just recently began trying new skin care. As my skin has aged I’ve noticed my old ways of doing things just isn’t good enough anymore.
As far as how long it takes? As with most skin care it will take a few weeks for any results. I’m currently using a healing skin care product at night that is reducing the redness in my face. It’s taken 2 weeks got my skin to looking less red.
I’ve also stopped scrubbing and washing my face. I now use gentle moisturizing wash. Then moisture all over my face after the cleanser. It’s made a huge difference in my skin texture and appearance in just the last couple weeks.
Growing older sucks, I’m just trying to help it suck a lot less through Keto and better skin care :joy:

Hmmmm I’ve never heard of magnesium for age spots?
I remember once trying straight vitamin e out of the capsule on my skin back in the day. A guy I knew recommended it for my skin breakouts (I was in my 20s) it did not work. I’m fact it make my skin worse.
Sometimes these skin improvement things are just snake oil pretending to be an expensive cure :joy:

(Bob M) #11

Although this doesn’t describe age spots specifically, this describes using magnesium oil for skin:

I already use it on my legs as a supplement, not for the skin, but for the magnesium. So, I tried some on my age spots.

(UsedToBeT2D) #12

I think topicals treat symptoms. Your body heals from inside out. Eat clean and let your body heal.

(UsedToBeT2D) #13

Baby shampoo is now my shower soap. My skin likes it much better.

(Laurie) #14

I don’t use industrial sunscreen (doctor’s orders), but when I took sailing lessons I used coconut oil as sunscreen. It worked well.

However, I read that coconut oil isn’t good for skin (it blocks the pores or something). Perhaps it can be used judiciously.

(Bob M) #15

I may have to try that. How is it to shower with liquid soap instead of solid soap?

Was thinking of trying to make soap from tallow. Haven’t done that yet, though.

(Bacon by any other name would taste just as great.) #16

I’ve always found baby shampoo to be harsher than other soaps or detergents.

I got interested and did a bit of Internet research on soap-making. Apparently, it’s the type of fat that makes a soap either gentle or harsh. And here I always thought it was the lye!

The earliest soaps were made from tallow and lye, which is why “lye” soap has such a bad reputation. Then someone figured out how to make soap from olive oil (and lye), which is how Castile soap came into being. If I’ve understood my sources correctly, the is essential to saponification, whereas many different types of fat can be used, with differing results in the performance of the final product.

Can anyone give the lie (or lye) to this? (Sometimes I just slay me, lol!)

I have used vitamin c on my face for a few years now. For me, it is for extremely dry skin. I don’t have age spots yet so I can’t say if they prevented or improved those aspects. However, I really like the improvement in my skin as a whole. I also like ceraVe ultra light sunscreen and use it daily after trying several different brands through the years. I hate greasy or shiny sunscreens and I don’t wear make-up.
Also, I have heard good things about hyaluronic (spelling is probably off) acid. I am using that with a micro needling on my stomach for loose skin. I don’t know if it is working but I have to try something because it is really bad.

(Bob M) #18

A lot of the high-saturated-fat stuff I’ve ordered (or made, like tallow) is used for soap making. Though this has a more detailed discussion of fats for soap making:

I’ve had similar, positive results although I don’t have very dry skin. Whatever it is doing it is an improvement. I alternate nightly between the vitamin C serum and an alpha/beta hydroxy acid cream.

(UsedToBeT2D) #20

I was not a fan of liquid soap until recently. I get it at dollar store. No more gooey soap tray.