Very interesting perspective and research on stalls, body fat regulation

(Erin Macfarland ) #1

I know not everyone agrees with or approves of her approach, opinions, writing style etc but I found this post incredibly fascinating: http://itsthewooo.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-physiology-of-body-fat-regulation.html?m=0

(Montana Goodman) #2

you have a tl;dr for this?

(Richard Morris) #3

FTA

TL;DR:

1. Body weight is tightly regulated and entirely outside of conscious control over a long term continuum of time.
  2. Obese people exhibit poor compensation for hypercaloric feeding. Obesity resistant people unconsciously reduce caloric intake after hypercaloric feeding, secondary to decreased interest in food.
  3. Attributing obesity to increased “food reward responsiveness” is confusing symptomatic effect with pathophysiological cause. Increased interest in feeding is one of many difference between the obese and lean; it is highly biased and false to focus on it to the exclusion of all other effects.
  4. Ketogenic diets appear to increase “obesity resistance”; whatever baseline condition of adiposity, adopting a ketogenic diet tends to promote greater leanness for that person. The effect may be very pronounced for some individuals with pathological obesity (such as myself).
  5. Weight reduction and body fat atrophy exerts an oppositional pressure, increasing weight gain proneness, eventually cancelling out the obesity resistance augmenting effects of ketogenic diets. Stalls then occur and no further weight loss is observed.
  6. That ketogenic diet often exerts incomplete efficacy in the therapy of obesity does not mean it “DOESN’T WORK”; varying rate of response to therapies is par for course in medicine, and by all measures the ketogenic diet appears highly effective, safe, and generally well tolerated by most compared to alternative treatments.

(Erin Macfarland ) #4

What is tl and dr?

“too long” and 'didn’t read"