Very high ketones in week 1

(Lucy Walker) #1

Advice please. I’m on Day 5 and my ketone levels (urine) are 8+. I feel terrible, dizzy and weak, despite drinking lots and having salt (ugh). I read that this could be due to lots of ketones being produced before my body has adapted to using them for fuel.

Is this right?

And should I eat more carbs or push through?
(I’m not diabetic.)

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

Welcome, Lucy. You’re almost through so I recommend push through. What are you eating and exactly how much salt are you having a day?

(Lucy Walker) #3

Hi! Thanks for the quick response. I’m eating ‘by the book’ but not measuring salt.

(Susan) #4

Welcome to the forum, Lucy =).

Keeping your carbs to 20 grams or less, no sugar, enough water and electrolytes, and eating enough calories, with proteins and healthy fats are all you should be worried about.

If you are hungry and not feeling well, eating more calories is a good thing to do! Just get the calories from proteins and fats though, not from carbs =).

The feeling you are having is probably from carb and sugar withdrawal, but this is often sorted by increasing your electrolytes and sometimes you could also increase your calories if you are not eating enough.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #5

@walkerluce you are experiencing carb withdrawal. May last a couple weeks or more but it will pass. Increasing sodium intake, up to 5-10 grams per day, via Real Salt or Himalayan Salt seems to help ease the symptoms for most. Also both supply lots of trace elements which are generally beneficial.

There are lots of very knowledgeable and experienced people on this forum who are willing to help you through the rough times and help you make the most of keto. When you ask for advice, you need to help us help you. When someone request information, you need to provide that info in as much detail as the person has asked. To my knowledge, no one here is a mind reader.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

Two teaspoons of salt is what you need everyday. Measure it, put in a little bowl, and use that throughout the day to help you know how much to shoot for. I went through the same as you for four days, upped my salt and felt great the fifth day. “Eating by the book” isn’t really a description of what you eat, too many bad KETO books out there.

Put the urine sticks away, you’re in ketosis. The color is dark because you are spilling ketones in your urine, and your body isn’t efficient at manufacturing and using them in proper amounts yet. They are stressing you when everything is fine. Keep Calm KETO On (KCKO) without adding carbs. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Lucy Walker) #7

Thanks David, and don’t worry I’m not stressing, just want to understand how the body works in these first few days. :blush: