Verdict on the Breathalyzer For Testing Ketones

(Karen) #1

So those that have used the cheap breathalyzer like the AT6000, is it a good alternative if I don’t want to fork over the money for the Ketonix and strips?

I do not think it is working that well for me.

When I first got it, about a month into keto it would show .4 -.8 all the time. Now it will only show .04 around 48 hours into a fast and sometimes not even then. Sometimes 36 hour into a fast I will have to do it twice to get anything even .02.

Ate normal keto today. Just tried it. I blew a 0 and then did it again and got a .02, so not sure what to make of that. Not sure what model I have, it has a key chain attached and I got it from Amazon based on a link someone posted at the time.

I know I eat more nuts and berries than I should so I do wonder if that means I am at a lower keto level anyway

(Damon Chance) #3

That model measures half as high as the AT6000 model. While I don’t think the numbers are super important I do think the AT6000 seems more sensitive due to its higher numbers and larger range.
I also find it easier to mess up the breath on the keychain one.

(Linda Culbreth) #4

You might need to change the batteries.

I ordered an AT6000 from Amazon will see what it says. Was not a big investment so maybe it will be better

I’m curious to hear what numbers others are getting from the breathalyzers. I have an AT6000 and go back and forth from the BAC readings of .1-.13 to the .49-.55mg/L. Can’t decide which I like better but the numbers have been consistent over the last month. Higher in the morning then even from noon to dinner time.
Have you found similar readings?

(Stephanie Tebbs) #7

I love using mine. I have the one with a keychain and my typical is 0.03-0.05 but when I have had too many carbs I go down to 0.02 or 0. When I fast I’ve gotten as high as 0.16. I don’t really care about the number unless its 0. I find it’s easy and quick to use and my husband and I like to compete for numbers. It’s a fun game.
It’s important to keep the batteries fresh or you’ll get a bad result. I think the $20 was well spent.
I am extremely squeamish and the idea of testing blood isn’t for me. That’s one of the reasons I went keto. My family has a history of diabetes and I want to prevent going down that path because having to draw blood would be a huge ordeal.

(Roxanne) #9

that’s what I found when numbers went wonky (mine went super high instead of super low). Changed the batteries and went back to my usual readings.

How long did you have it and how often did you use it before you needed to change batteries on the keychain?

I have had mine since June and used it maybe 60 times total

The AT6000 came today and I am not impressed. The key chain one takes less time (counts down from 10 instead of a 100) and seems more accurate. After not eating anything except HWC since Monday night, I measured .02 and .03 on the keychain. Tried the AT6000 and got .02 00 and .02. Neither one seems to be very accurate or I am very resistant. Have been keto for 6 months

Do you have to wait after drinking water and how long. This is not the reason I got only .02. I am curious

(Ethan) #11

Does anybody worry about being in ketosis and testing positive on a police sobriety check

(Karen) #12

There’s a large number of posts on here about that. Let me find the topic and I’ll reply back again.

(Karen) #13

Look up the thread titled “Test Breath Ketones without a Ketonix (using a cheap breathalyzer)”. Quite a bit of discussion on that topic there.

My understanding is that the police ones are much more sophisticated and can tell the difference. They say not to get an expensive one because those will only detect alcohol but this is what I read someplace, no idea what is true. You can always ask for a blood test instead

(Ethan) #15

Sure. But it feels like a violation of disability rights if my medically required diet cannot be accommodated without harassment

(Sandra Lachance) #16

No. The cheap ones use semiconductor to test and don’t make the difference between alchool and acetone. The professional ones use another technology and are a lot more sensitive. It will only count real alchool.

(Kaiden) #17

Not exactly… It’s that they don’t bother to tell the difference between ethanol and isopropanol. http://proteinpower.com/drmike/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/ketone-diagram.gif