Vacation weight gain!

newbies

I started Keto on October 10th, been at it strictly for 45 days and lost 9 kgs. I went on a long planned vacation on 22nd Nov, managed to stay on Keto until the 24th Nov. Then I lost ketosis, so I enjoyed some carbs for 2 days and a cocktail as it our wedding anniversary. I came back home last night weighing 5.1 kgs heavier! I am 100% sure I didn’t eat that much even considering the calories. I’m extremely shocked and disappointed at the same time. PLEASE HELP AND ADVICE! :sob::sob:

(Megan) #2

Hi @Aprilsuave, some of it could be water weight because you ate carbs for 2 days. You will lose this very quickly once you get back on plan. When you weighed yourself and were 5.1kg more, was that a 1st thing in the morning weight? Some of it could also be due to daily fluctuations everyone experiences, which is why I don’t weigh myself any more frequently than every 3-4 weeks.

Regardless of the reasons just get back on plan. You have shown yourself you can make keto work for you, regarding weight loss.

All the best! Keep us posted.

(Allie) #3

Water weight. Forget it and get back on track.

Yes, first thing in the morning which I always do. I’ll try to weigh myself less frequently. Hoping to lose the water weight soon. :pray:t2: Thanks!

Water weight, obviously :slight_smile:
It is good to know that I need 7000 extra kcals to make 1kg fat tissue (even I can’t do that in 2 days… and it’s just the extra calories, I wouldn’t gain anyway, some of us just uses more energy then, it’s not very rare), it can’t come from nothing :wink:
While water weight easily fluctuates even if we don’t change our carb intake. Not in the case of everyone, I haven’t water weight changes as far as I know but it’s very, very common.

(It’s another matter that I actually gained 5 kg in a super stressful situation when I ate less food, not more and then I went back to something normal but that must have been water at that point, later swapped to fat. I always had enough overeating days for that to happen. What else could it have been? Whatever, stress gain IS a thing, no matter how crazy it is.
But we NEED the extra calories to make fat tissue, it’s non-negotiable. And eating a lot or carbs isn’t very good for drastic lowering of our metabolism so that can’t be the reason for extras. and it’s a lot of extras for even 1 kg of fat tissue so… Even if you could eat 10 times as much as normal, it probably couldn’t all used up.)

I think it would be nice not to weigh yourself right after a carby day (oh I FORGOT to make just that, I was curious. but I feel my pants are fine and I am chill anyway, I can weigh myself 2 times a day if I want, it’s unnecessary but fine). The result won’t be reliable! But if you are curious about water weight changes (and you don’t overeat on carbs… oh but there is still the often more fiber therefore waste…), it may be informative :slight_smile: I used to weigh myself before and after my carby days to see if I still have water weight changes.

Happy Anniversary!!!

yea water weight gain. when we cut carbs our bodies will not hold water as much and will drop that ‘water weight’ as we go keto. that first ‘big loss of lbs’ is mostly water weight for all so when ya ate those carbs and drank that booze your body ‘grabbed hold of more water’ again and put ya higher up on the scale then you thought ‘you ate’ ya know. Science stuff, not you eating too much but going off plan and eating just enough to change ya again but like all said…back on plan, that water weight gain will drop fast now, a few days and forget it.

we all hate that gain when we go off plan and it seems WOWZA on the amt we can gain back in a flash. But once we understand why some can easily accept and deal with it as us going off plan and give it the days time it requires to release and away ya go moving forward with more good results.

Scales aren’t so perfect either. I just experienced that again.
Better late than never, I went and weighed myself at 2:40pm, after drinking a lot. In full winter in-house outfit. 75kg.
I took off most of my warm clothes (cardigan and warm pants, it’s a significant weight). 75kg, again.

Simple personal scales are just not that accurate. Mine is old and not digital (and stubborn with a personality ;)) but I used a digital one too, it wasn’t any better. 5.1kg a lot so it’s surely lots of water weight. Still, it’s good to know that scales aren’t very reliable…

I am quite fine as my pants fit me like they did at 72-73kg :slight_smile: So I didn’t gain fat (how could I have done it noticeably in a few days anyway), it’s just possibly water and my scale.

yea you should have dropped lbs. dropping some of that heavy clothing for sure on your scale. Christmas wish? ask for a new scale maybe> LOL

I had the scale that sucked too :wink: and it was hard to go out and buy a new darn good one but I did and it was worth it cause in truth, when it shows truth it can help us mentally so yea, so far so good on my ‘new but old’ scale holding truths for me. Still wish I could throw it in a lake and let it sink :wink: but still want it around kinda right now. Thankfully I use it less and less and more rare for me to step on that nasty bugger!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

I’ll chime in and say that the 5 kg gain is mostly water retention, not fat gain. But now you know how important it is to stay on plan.

American Thanksgiving was last week, and I mostly did well, avoiding the stuffing, the mashed potatoes, the sweet potatoes with marshmallows, the pies, etc., but the dinner rolls made from my grandmother’s recipe (an old childhood favourite) managed to trip me up. Interestingly, each time I ate one, I regretted it within an hour, as it stirred up digestive trouble. This is good; it will help me resist when my sister makes them again at Christmas. The other, more long-term effect is that I’ve put on a bit of fat and a lot of water, so I am feeling bloated and my clothes are not feeling as loose as I’d like.

I’ve mostly lost my taste for sweets on keto, but yeast bread still has a powerful appeal. I hope to get over that craving, too, some day.

Definitely never ever will I want another scale :smiley: (Maybe a kitchen scale as it started to work erratically lately and some recipes require exact measurements… I am fine with the inability of tracking :D)
It’s such a needless thing, actually… I just like to have numbers here and there. This thing is good enough (if I ignore the first number it gives me, it’s usually okay) but I mostly use my pants now to see my changes. (My eyes is only good for figuring out when to stop as I didn’t even see a 10kg change…)

Maybe not at all? Unless one doesn’t want water retention or have some other problems with eating carbs here and there?
If one just cares about fat (and muscles), a little water doesn’t matter… And I don’t see why we ever should worry about a little water (much water is unhealthy, that’s another thing entirely).

I think perhaps you forgot to set your scale back before Thanksgiving. or is that your clock? Never can remember.

You are not alone! A lot of us (non purists) picked up some added (ahem) water weight and are trying to get back on the wagon. well, at least me…

(Robin) #13

My advice… same as your body and scale just told you; Don’t do that again.

(KCKO, KCFO) #14

If there was a flight involved, I used to gain 3 lbs or so just from that, it caused me to retain water.

Forget the scale for a few days, and KeepCalmKetoOn

Thank you, everyone! Yup, definitely water weight! I lost almost all of it today(3rd day after the vacation) But yes, I have also been on the carb wash out phase since yesterday to get myself back on Ketosis! God, I feel good again! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

(Bob M) #16

I’m one of those who use physical objects to gauge where I am. If my wedding ring, which I take off every morning, doesn’t come off easily, that’s bad. If I have to go to the next belt hole on my belts, that’s bad.

It’s not that far after Thanksgiving, where I did partake in carbs. I’m now on my last hole on this not that old belt. Looking at the markings on it, I’m down 4 belt holes from when I bought it (sometime after my try of The Croissant Diet, where I gained a lot of weight).

So, whatever (mainly water) weight I gained over Thanksgiving, I’ve lost.

I ceased using a scale when I would fast > 24 hours and “lose” 5 pounds from the day before fasting to 32 hours later, and when I would not lose scale weight but have to shorten my belts by a belt hole. The latter happened one too many times, then I ditched the scale.

(Norelle Cottee) #17

Fear not! It happened to me too not quite as much about half a stone when I reintroduced carbs after changing to time restricted eating and continued to introduce carbs by way of fruits and salad the weight began to drop again so now at my lowest weight. Another reason why it’s such a lot of water gain may also be the time of the month, females tend to gain a lot of water before their period. I have bullet coffee for breakfast and stay in Ketosis until about 4pm and have sea bass or salmon and massive salad and a ton of fruits because I can’t live without them and I shed all the water weight in about 1-2 weeks. Hope this helps you are not alone. Still finding out how our bodies work and we are not scientist.