Using Metformin Off Label

Couldn’t be any easier. My nightly go-to for a while has been.

14oz Almond Milk
2 scoops Whey of choice, (currently peanut butter cookies & cream)
1 tbsp sweetener (currently using All Purpose in the Raw)
1 tbsp cocoa
couple grinds of salt
1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
1/4 tsp Ice Cream Stabilizer (originally didn’t have that, but makes it creamier and no ice crystals)

I mix that in my NutriNinja, freeze it, then do the final mix in my Creami. Haven’t tried this one in my normal churner, but don’t see why it’d come out any different, only difference is you wouldn’t have to freeze it first.

I take Metformin for diabetes type 2, when I need to control my blood sugar levels. 2x daily, 500mg.
Since going keto, I haven’t needed it til recently when my blood glucose went high and my insulin levels too.
It doesn’t work as you described wanting it to unfortunately…taking it with a meal on an occasional basis to eat sweet stuff to fit in socially. It would be great if it did work that way!

It causes me severe gastro-intestinal problems and I am trying to stop taking it for that reason. Pharmaceuticals have a lot of recommendations when the drug companies make big profits from them. I think that is the case with Metformin. Despite the hype, I wouldn’t give it, even to an enemy, I truly hate taking it.

(Bob M) #23

Interesting. I’ll have to add one or both of these next time I make ice cream.

Xanthan gum is one of those things where it’s cheaper to buy it in a huge bag…but yet you use so little of it.

I’m using it for my chocolate liqueur, and again you use like 1/4 tsp for what ends up being a full bottle.