URGENT TIME SENSITIVE… Up for an experiment?

(Robin) #1

What would you think of this idea…. Instead of starting a new post for the various threads/topics when the month changes… I would like to simply edit the name of the current one to include the new month/year.

That way, we don’t have to go back to look for old info… it would still be there.

Pros and cons, please…

(Alec) #2

The threads would get very big, but we have other big threads without too much pain, so I would go for it.
A

Not sure what you mean exactly as I do not participated in March Meat threads or similar but in general when a thread has more than 100 replies I tend to avoid it unless the topic is really interesting to me

To me there is more of an issue when an interesting topic was last commented on in 2017, do I comment? Necro the thread? Never sure what to do there but a lot of threads to repeat

(Robin) #4

I only mean to try this with the ones that already are attached to the month… like the MeatMadnessMarch Carnivore. There will always be a multitude of threads about various topics with whatever title someone assigns.

(Robin) #5

@Saphire I should first said that I appreciate your insight into sometimes skipping threads that have 100s of comments.

I’m sorry ahead of time for my disagreeing with you :joy: :woman_facepalming:t3: I feel so bad not being able to be supportive, but I do have an opinion on this.

I think it could become very tedious at some point to search a thread backwards for things you really want to find and look at again. Separate threads (monthly or otherwise) allow us to pull up a specific month or topic and have a chance to find something a bit quicker than endless scrolling. The search feature only works if you remember the exact terms used. I myself find scrolling backwards through endless lengthy threads to be frustration inducing and less appealing. This would be my opinion for any thread topic that could grow to thousands of posts.

I quite enjoy scrolling through the monthly food threads as they presently are, but I know I would miss most of it if it were all in one lengthy thread. I’d get bored and stop looking and then miss some wonderful ideas and inspiration. For some reason having small batches to sift through at a time makes it much easier and more appealing to me.

The biggest example I have is how the humor threads grew wayyyy too big, both of them. I love the humor almost as much as any other topic here, LOL. I love the smiles and giggles. But it’s torture to go back and catch up with how long it is. I was wishing it would begin a new humor thread at least for each year. Like 2023 Funnies and 2024 Funny Bones etc etc. just nicer to have less to sift through in a single sitting.

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

I like the monthly threads. Really long threads make it hard to locate info. and depending on the size of pics etc. it can be slow to load for some folks.

An alternative might be quarterly threads? Not as long but not extremely short either.

(KM) #8

I’m in favor of it (a continuous thread) for the more personal threads where I’m following people’s lives. Maybe a new one annually? It is much easier to get a sense of people if you can just scroll back instead of wondering what the hell someone is referring to and having to do the double duty of chasing down each month in addition to a particular incident. When did the swan bite Allie? How is Paul’s ankle doing? A stroke, my goodness. Oh, Alec, I was so hoping your marathon turned out well. Who is Raymond and when is Sian due? JJ Fiddle, what a cool life you have! Fang, there you are! Is there a record of when FrankoBear bought his escape from modern life??? Geophery … giggle … Two Guys and all things ketosis notwithstanding, y’all know this forum is more than diet advice and the monthly thread has more communal news than any other.

I guess it doesn’t really matter but I love a long record. :slightly_smiling_face:

TBH I also don’t really see why the carnivores and ketovores need two private clubs; I just participate where there’s life.

Oh I didn’t think of that one. I agree!!! No I would hate a personal life thread broken up. You are absolutely spot on with that one.

However I was just wondering earlier today why there were two separate threads for March food sharing. I get that one is carnivore, but wouldn’t it be nice to see everyone’s food in one March thread? I don’t mind seeing carni dishes. Do carnis mind seeing food that has carbs?? Why are they separate?

(KM) #11

What I meant are the two / three threads that have a lot of social interaction in addition to the strictly diet related stuff. Specifically the monthly carni thread, monthly keto thread and monthly EF/IF thread. – those last two have consistent activity but really not enough to warrant a new thread every month.

I also find it interesting to go back and see how the general wind was blowing. What common themes and issues.

I do also totally agree that people’s personal journals and accountability threads shouldn’t be monthly, but that’s not really at issue.

Yeah I can kind of understand how it would be nice not to get tripped up by dishes that aren’t full carnivore when perusing the monthly food sharing, if you’re a carnivore. As a Keto dieter that also finds inspiration in carnivore shares I couldn’t see why to keep them separate. But possibly it is easier for others and quicker to gain inspiration for the diet you are on if everything in the thread is supportive of that diet only. I guess I see both sides. Tough one.

(Robin) #13

As I suspected, the pros and cons are both valid. So, as the saying goes, “aid it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” I’m cool with that.
Y’all can carry on as normal and name your months as you see fit.
You got this!

(Robin) closed #14

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

They are separate ways of eating that have separate categories on the forums. People who visit only the one forum wouldn’t necessarily see a unified thread, because it can only be posted in one forum or the other, not both.