Urgent. Ketones levels are way too high

I’m a man. 17 years old. I’m also pretty healthy and I don’t have overweight.

Have you have a large quantity of MCT/coconut oil recently?

As always if you are worried consult a doctor.

I haven’t eaten coconut oil.

What have you eaten and or drunk.

Normally salads, eggs, chicken, Turkey burger, mayonaisse, olive oil, mushrooms, butter, and just water.

Have you recently started keto in the past few weeks?

I started it like 3-4 days ago.

Okay, I wouldn’t be too concerned.

When your body starts to produce ketones your body is going to produce far too many. These will spill over into your urine, this is just energy that isn’t being used in your body. Assuming you are not a type 1 diabetic. I wouldn’t be too concerned however continue to monitor it as the number should reduce.

However as stated this is not medical advice if you feel symptomatic consult a doctor.

(What The Fast?!) #17

The strips are notoriously inaccurate. If you’re not Type 1 Diabetic, you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks to all of you.

(Katie) #19

Agreed, also what is your blood sugar level? Are you diabetic? What kind of monitor do you have? Do another test to make sure of accuracy, and make sure that you followed the directions.

(Ron) #20

Are you talking about urine strips? If you are, having high readings are pretty meaningless, unless you’re a severe diabetic.

(Raj Seth) #22

BTW: URGENT label on posts is reserved for true emergencies only
Including, but not limited to:
Being down to last 4 lbs of bacon
Only 2 quarts of heavy cream in fridge
Less than 2 lbs of butter, with none in the freezer
egg count not possible in dozens.
bacon grease container half empty

(Laurie) #23

Help! I’m down to one egg!

(Raj Seth) #24

Someone call 911!! or 253 (thats 2KD on phone)!

(Allie) #25

Please throw the pee sticks away and stop stressing yourself out.

Dug out my ketostix, 4 this morning however when testing ym blood it’s 0.3.

Again don’t worry. Don’t bother with the stix, you’re in ketosis that’s all you need to know.

(Raj Seth) #27

And if you’re not eating carbs, and eating moderate protein, and getting the bulk of your energy from fat - AND - you are not dead - then you’re in ketosis. There, saved you $3/day…

(KCKO, KCFO) #28

After only 3 days of eating keto, you are not fat adapted, and probably producing very little in the way of ketones. Urine strips are great for showing you how dehydrated you are. They are NOT great at how many ketones you are throwing off. I gave up using those consider using either a blood ketone monitor device or this inexpensive method discussed here: