Urgent. Ketones levels are way too high

Hello I have been in keto for 3 days and I just got my strips today. It says my ketones levels are in 16mmol/l. This is concerning me, I’ve read bad things about such high levels. Any recommendations?

(the cheater) #2

How do you feel? Head to the ER if you’re really concerned. Sounds like that may be inaccurate, but who knows? Keep us posted!

I’m feeling pretty okay, I’m just feeling slightly tired since two days ago but less today. No other symptoms.

Have you been exercising, what is your blood glucose level, how did you measure your ketone level. Are you fasting?

I’m not excersising. I don’t know my glucose levels. I measured it with strips (urine).

I’m not fasting either.

(the cheater) #7

We also don’t know anything about you (age, sex, health status, comorbidities, etc.) so it’s hard to know what to suggest. I just say trust your gut. If you can afford it, get your labs drawn (ie, ER, if you’re not friends with a doc).

I’m a man. 17 years old. I’m also pretty healthy and I don’t have overweight.

Have you have a large quantity of MCT/coconut oil recently?

As always if you are worried consult a doctor.

I haven’t eaten coconut oil.

What have you eaten and or drunk.

Normally salads, eggs, chicken, Turkey burger, mayonaisse, olive oil, mushrooms, butter, and just water.

Have you recently started keto in the past few weeks?

I started it like 3-4 days ago.

Okay, I wouldn’t be too concerned.

When your body starts to produce ketones your body is going to produce far too many. These will spill over into your urine, this is just energy that isn’t being used in your body. Assuming you are not a type 1 diabetic. I wouldn’t be too concerned however continue to monitor it as the number should reduce.

However as stated this is not medical advice if you feel symptomatic consult a doctor.

(What The Fast?!) #17

The strips are notoriously inaccurate. If you’re not Type 1 Diabetic, you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks to all of you.

(Katie) #19

Agreed, also what is your blood sugar level? Are you diabetic? What kind of monitor do you have? Do another test to make sure of accuracy, and make sure that you followed the directions.

(Ron) #20

Are you talking about urine strips? If you are, having high readings are pretty meaningless, unless you’re a severe diabetic.