Update...mystery solved!

(Joey) #21

@PaulL Are you sure of this?

I had it in my head (from sources like Malcom Kendrick who cites related research from across the decades) that saturated fat in the diet does not affect serum cholesterol.

Perhaps I’m confusing the role that dietary saturated fat plays in affecting various sub-components of serum cholesterol (HDL vs LDL vs VLDL/Trig)?

(Ian) #22

I have been taking 4000 iu for 8 months, resulting in a blood level of 148 nmol/L, which I believe is approximately 60 mg/L. I’m living above the 49th parallel.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

Well . . . I was! :rofl:

Dr. Phinney, in one of his lectures, talks about saturated fat being more effective than any drug in raising HDL. He said that during his sojourn in the corporate world, he worked on a drug to raise HDL, but it had too many unpleasant side effects to be worth developing, so further research was cancelled.

Keys’s original Seven Country Study purported to show that saturated fat in the diet raised (total) cholesterol and therefore caused cardiovascular disease.

(Tim Cee) #24

I wonder if vitamin d deficiency is more about a lack of meat than a lack of sunshine. Surely the poor beast the carnivore is eating has made it’s fair share of vitamin D? Furthermore, I also wonder if the published target is off because of the assumption of a diet low in meat? At any point in history did Eskimo people struggle with vitamin D deficiency? If sunlight is the quintessential factor, I’d expect the symptoms of deficiency to be rampant in the Pacific Northwest from coastal Oregon up to Kenai as winter days are short and cloud cover with drizzle is the rule for half the year. I’ve never had or met a person with rickets.

(Tim Cee) #25

Here’s what I mean.

(Joey) #26

:slight_smile: Well, okay, then I’ll just keep eating gobs of saturated fat and hope for the best. After all, my alternatives are limited (sugar? carbs? too much protein? polyunsaturated and trans fats?..)

As for the Seven Cherry-picked Country Study, I’ll try to avoid drawing any conclusions.

available are many ‘home testing kits’ for Vit D plus now on tv I see companies doing home testing for tons of med issues that one doesn’t wanna go to a Dr. to have handled. Cheaper than a Dr visit I would think :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

Zoë Harcombe, in her reanalysis of Keys’s data, showed that the published correlation between dietary saturated fat and coronary heart disease that Keys purported to observe vanished when the data for all 22 countries were included in the analysis. But the correlation between dietary sugar and coronary heart disease, which Keys had dismissed out of hand, was just as strong when all 22 countries were analysed. Go figure!

(Jane) #29

… nothing to see here… move along… !

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #30

I just watched Tom Naughton’s movie Fathead the other day, and it’s quite funny. But a better take on the available science is found in the documentary Fat Fiction, which has most of the usual talking heads laying out the science in very clear fashion. Though I like Fathead a lot, because it’s nice to see Michael and Mary Dan Eades in their younger incarnations, lol!

Both movies are available on YouTube.